Akshata Murthy - Bio, Net Worth, Husband, Age, Parents, Facts, Height
Akshata Murthy is a British-based Indian heiress, businesswoman, fashion designer, and venture capitalist who is a director of Digme Fitness, and the digital transformation company Soroco which her brother Rohan Murty co-founded. She is renowned for being the daughter of N. R. Narayana Murthy, a founder of the Indian multi-national IT company Infosys, and Sudha Murty.
Akshata holds a 0.93% stake in Infosys, making her one of the wealthiest women in the UK, along with shares in several other businesses in the UK. Her wealth and her status as a non-domiciled UK resident (which temporarily entitles her to pay no tax on her income outside Britain, subject to an annual payment of £30,000) with Indian citizenship became the topic of much debate and speculation in the British media in 2022. This was because she was married to British politician Rishi Sunak who was serving as the chancellor of the exchequer of the United Kingdom at that time and the country was going through a ‘cost of living’ crisis. Another factor in this discussion was the fact that she was wealthier than Queen Elizabeth II and was not paying tax in the UK on her unremitted income from Infosys dividends.
What is Akshata Murthy Known For?
- Akshata Murthy is a fashion designer, entrepreneur, and businessperson.
- She owned a 0.93% stake in the Indian multinational IT company Infosys since 2015 which was founded by her father N. R. Narayana Murthy in July 1981.
- She is known for being the wife of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Rishi Sunak.
Who are Akshata Murthy's Parents?
Akshata Murthy was born in April 1980 with the birth name of Akshata Narayan Murthy. She is from Hubli, India. She holds Indian nationality and her ethnicity is Indian-Asian. She and raised by her paternal grandparents as her father N. R. Narayana Murthy and her mother Sudha Murthy worked to launch their technology company, Infosys. Her mother was the first female engineer to work for India's then-largest car maker and is now a philanthropist.
Akshata has a younger brother, Rohan Murthy who is the founder of the Murty Classical Library of India, Former Executive Assistant at the Chairman’s Office at Infosys. She had a comparatively simple middle-class upbringing in Jayanagar, a suburb of Bangalore, "with no birthday parties or much pocket money" in order to keep the family values intact. She celebrated her 42nd birthday in 2022.
Concerning her education, she attended Baldwin Girls' High School, Bangalore, and later studied economics and French at Claremont McKenna College in California; she has a diploma in clothes manufacturing from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, and a Master of Business Administration from Stanford University.
How did Akshata Murthy start her career?
- Akshata Murthy started her career in 2007 by joining Dutch cleantech firm Tendris as its marketing director, where she worked for two years, before leaving to start her own fashion firm. Her fashion label closed in 2012.
- In the year 2013, she became the director of the venture capital fund Catamaran Ventures.
- She co-founded, with her husband Rishi Sunak, the London branch of the Indian firm which is owned by her father, N. R. Narayana Murthy.
- Since 2015, she has owned a 0.91% or 0.93% share of her father's technology firm Infosys, valued at around £700 million in April 2022, and shares in two of Jamie Oliver's restaurant businesses, Wendy's in India, Koro Kids and Digme Fitness.
- She is a director of Digme Fitness and the UK subsidiary of Soroco, an IT business co-founded by her brother, Rohan Murty.
How rich is Akshata Murthy?
Akshata Murthy is a businesswoman, fashion designer, and venture capitalist. In May 2022, Akshata Murthy and her husband Rishi Sunak’s combined net worth was $911 million according to The Sunday Times ‘UK Rich List’. Akshata alone has an estimated wealth of Rs 5,956 crores (USD 721 million) as per sources which was more than the late Queen Elizabeth II’s approximate wealth.
A larger proportion of Akshata Murthy’s wealth comes from her 0.9 percent stake in Infosys – the Indian software giant. As per several reports, the 42-year-old holds 3.89 crore shares of the company. Apart from holding Infosys shares and stakes, Murthy has other entities from which she earns a fair share. Murthy is the director at Catamaran Ventures since 2013. The firm focuses on local brands that require management expertise, capital, as well as network partners to grow tactically. Murthy, who has served as Digme’s director since 2017, owns a 4.4 percent stake in the company.
In April 2022 it was reported that she is a non-domiciled resident of the United Kingdom, which entitles her to pay no tax on her income outside Britain, subject to an annual payment of £30,000. She announced that she would retain her non-domiciled status but pay UK tax on her worldwide income voluntarily.
Together, Akshata and Rishi own Kirby Sigston Manor in the village of Kirby Sigston, North Yorkshire, as well as a mews house in Earl's Court in central London, a flat on Old Brompton Road, South Kensington, and a penthouse apartment on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California. In April 2022, it was reported that Sunak and Murty had moved out of 10 Downing Street to a newly refurbished West London home. Today, Akshata Murthy is living a lavish lifestyle from her earnings.
Who is Akshata Murthy's Husband?
Akshata Murthy is a married woman. She got married to British politician Rishi Sunak (Prime Minister of the United Kingdom) in August 2009 in a ceremony held in Bangalore, India. They had first met while they were both students at Stanford University. They have two daughters together named Krishna Sunak and Anoushka Sunak. Today, the happily married couple is enjoying their present life a lot. Her sexual orientaiton is straight.
Akshata Murthy Height and Weight
Akshata Murthy is a beautiful woman with a standing height of 5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm. Her body weight consists of 58 kg or 128 lbs. She has a slim body build with a pair of dark brown eyes and her hair color is black. She has an affable smile.
Trivias About Akshata Murthy You Need To Know.
- In 2013, she co-founded the Indian venture capital fund Catamaran Ventures with her husband Rishi Sunak. She had served as a director at the firm.
- As of October 2022, she was having 0.9% stake in Infosys.
- In 2022, Akshata Murthy and Rishi Sunak became the richest-ever occupants of 10 Downing Street (the official residence of the UK PM). At that time, the couple’s combined net worth was reported to be $837 million which was more than Britain’s monarch which also happened for the first time.
- She was raised by her paternal grandparents as both her parents were deeply involved in looking after the IT company Infosys in its early years.
- Her husband, Rishi Sunak is a British politician who is the current prime minister of United Kingdom.