Last updated on November 2nd, 2020 at 03:28 pm
Facts About Anderson Silva
|48 Years Old
|Anderson Da Silva
|Best Known For
|1.88 m or 6 ft 2 in
|2008 Fighter of the Year, 2010 Fight of the Year vs. Chael Sonnen on 7 August, 2011 Knockout of the Year vs. Vitor Belfort on 5 February
|For holding the longest title streak in UFC history with 16 consecutive wins and 10 title defenses
|Place Of Birth
|Vera Lucia da Silva
Anderson Silva is a Brazilian-American professional mixed martial artist. At present, he is signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Moreover, he is also a former UFC Middleweight Champion and holds the record for the longest title reign in UFC history at 2,457 days which started in 2006 and ended in 2013 and included a UFC record 16 consecutive victories in that span. He has previously competed for various events such as Pride and Cage Rage. He has been able to establish himself as the greatest professional mixed martial artist of all-time due to his hard work and dedication. He considers Spider-Man, Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali, and his mother as the biggest of his personal heroes, and has a stated love of comic books and comic book heroes. His reach was 77 1⁄2 in (197 cm). Overall, he is a very talented fighter.
Silva announced retirement from fighting a day after he lost to Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 181 on 31 October 2020.
Conor McGregor 'accepts' challenge to fight UFC legend Anderson Silva at a catch-weight of 80kg
Anderson Silva threw down the gauntlet to Conor McGregor this week. The Irishman accepted to face UFC legend Silva at a catch-weight of 80 kg. McGregor is intent on proving himself as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. Conor McGregor has formally agreed to face UFC legend Anderson Silva in a blockbuster super-fight. Former middleweight champion Silva is widely regarded as one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time and threw down the gauntlet to McGregor earlier this week. He has won just one of his last seven fights and made his last appearance in the octagon against Jared Cannonier just over a year ago.
- Being a professional Mixed Martial Artist.
- For holding the longest title streak in UFC history with 16 consecutive wins and 10 title defenses.
- Being widely regarded as one of the best strikers in the history of MMA and many consider him the best of all time.
- For his striking accuracy, knockout power, technically vicious Muay Thai, and ability to counterstrike makes him a danger to his opponents.
What is the birthplace of Anderson Silva?
Anderson Silva was born with the birthname/real name of Anderson da Silva on 14th April 1975. His birthplace/hometown is in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is Brazilian by nationality and he belongs to African-Brazilian ethnicity. His race is Black. His zodiac sign is Aries. He was born to his parents Vera Lucia da Silva (mother), and Juarez Silva (father). He was one of four children of his father, who was a police officer. He spent most of his childhood with his aunt and uncle. His family could not afford his jiu-jitsu lessons due to which he started by watching neighborhood kids fight, and later practicing with them. As a teen, Silva began training in taekwondo, capoeira, and muay Thai. He was part of the famed Chute Box Academy, but later parted ways following bitter argument overpayments. Later Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira took him under his wings and helped him develop his potential. He is Christian by religion. As of 2020, he celebrated his 45th birthday. His age is 45.
How was the Career of Anderson Silva?
- Anderson Silva's career began in Brazil in the welterweight category with a pair of wins in the year 1997.
- He recorded his first loss in 2000 to Luiz Azeredo by decision.
- He went on a nine-fight winning streak, including one against the then-undefeated Shooto champion Hayato Sakurai on 26th August 2001 in Japan.
- This made him the new Shooto Middleweight Champion.
Pride Fighting Championships and Cage Rage
- He began his Pride Fighting Championships in the year 2002.
- He runs with three wins during 2002-2003.
- He lost to underdog Daiju Takase at Pride 26, following which he even considered quitting MMA.
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira convinced him to continue fighting and to join his Brazilian Top Team.
- On 11th September 2004, he earned a decision win against renowned striker Lee Murray at Cage Rage 8 in London, where he won the Cage Rage Middleweight Championship.
- After his loss to Ryo Chonan on 31st December 2004 by submission, he was cut by Pride FC and returned to Cage to defend his title against Jorge Rivera and Curtis Stout.
- After that, he participated in Hawaii's Rumble on the Rock promotion against Yushin Okami but was disqualified despite being the favorite after he, unaware of the rules, kicked him in the face when he was down.
- While Okami was reportedly in a position to fight, he chose the disqualification win, which Silva called cheap and cowardly.
- In April 2006, at Cage Rage 16, after his highly anticipated match up with Matt Lindland was canceled, he fought Tony Fryklund instead and defended his title.
- Later that month, he signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC.
- He made his debut at Ultimate Fight Night 5 on 28 June 2006 winning against Chris Leben via KO.
- UFC then decided to let the viewers choose his next opponent via a poll, following which he faced the UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin at UFC 64 on 14th October 2006 where he won the fight by TKO at 2:59 minutes into the first round, becoming the second man to defeat Franklin, as well as the new UFC Middleweight Champion.
- During 2007, he won a non-title bout with Travis Lutter and successfully defended his title against Nate Marquardt and Rich Franklin, earning 'Knockout of the Night' honors in both the latter fights.
- He then next fought Pride Middleweight champion Dan Henderson in a title unification bout at UFC 82 on 1st March 2008.
- He won the fight via rear-naked choke in the 2nd round.
- He debuted in the Light Heavyweight division against James Irvin at UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin on 19th July 2008, winning the fight via KO at 1:01 of the first round.
- On 25th October 2008, his next fight to defend his Middleweight title against Patrick Cote ended abruptly after Cote injured himself in the third round of the fight, handing him a TKO win.
- At UFC 97 in April 2009, he made the UFC record for nine consecutive wins against Thales Leites, while his opponent was credited for taking him through 5 rounds to a judges' decision.
- He fought in a Light Heavyweight bout against former Champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 on 8th August 2009, winning via KO.
- He was widely criticized for not engaging Demian Maia at UFC 112 on 10th April 2010, which prompted UFC president Dana White to leave mid-fight for the first time.
- His last-moment win against Chael Sonnen for the UFC Middleweight Title at UFC 117 made news as Silva took more hits during the fight than he took in his entire UFC career till then.
- He then next defended his middleweight title against Vitor Belfort, Yushin Okami, and Chael Sonnen, and stopped Stephan Bonnar via strikes in the 1st round of their light heavyweight bout in October 2012.
- His 17-fight winning streak, as well as the longest UFC title reign, ended after he lost to Chris Weidman on 6th July 2013, at UFC 162 via KO in the second round.
- He lost the rematch with Weidman as well and was replaced as one of the coaches for 'The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4' due to failed drug tests.
- His victory against Nick Diaz on 31st January 2015 was declared a no-contest after he was tested positive for steroids, following which he was suspended for one year.
- After returning from his PED suspension, he lost his Middleweight bout against Michael Bisping and his Light Heavyweight bout against Daniel Cormier.
- He bounced back with a victory over Derek Brunson on 11th February 2017 and is scheduled to face Kelvin Gastelum on 25th November 2017 at UFC Fight Night 122.
- It was announced on 10 November 2017 that Silva would be pulled from the bout due to failing the USADA drug test on 26 October.
- In July 2018, USADA announced that he had been exonerated from the failed test after finding contaminated supplements and received a one-year suspension from USADA dating back to November 2017 and would be free to resume fighting in November 2018.
- On 10th February 2019, he returned and faced Israel Adesanya at UFC 234 but lost the fight via unanimous decision which earned him the Fight of the Night award.
- He then faced Jared Cannonier on 11th May 2019 at UFC 237.
- He lost the fight via TKO in the first round after a kick from Cannonier to Silva's right leg injured him and rendered him unable to continue.
- Silva faced Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 181 in October 2020. He lost the fight via TKO in the fourth round.
- A day after his loss to Uriah Hall, he announced his retirement.
- Besides this, he has also appeared in movies/films such as Never Surrender, Hell's Chain, Like Water, Til Death Do Us Part 2, Trapped Out, Worms, The Invincible Dragon, and many more.
Awards / Achievements / Championships / Accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Cage Rage Championships
Cage Rage Middleweight Championship (One time, Final)
Three successful title defenses
Shooto Middleweight Championship (One time)
Ultimate Fighting Championship
- UFC Middleweight Championship (One time)
Ten successful title defenses
- Unified the UFC Middleweight and Pride World Welterweight Championships
- Fight of the Night (Five times) vs. Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Chael Sonnen, Michael Bisping, and Israel Adesanya
- Knockout of the Night (Seven times) vs. Chris Leben, Rich Franklin (2), Nate Marquardt, Forrest Griffin, Vitor Belfort, and Chael Sonnen
- Most "Knockout of the Night" awards in UFC history (7)
- Submission of the Night (Two times) vs. Dan Henderson and Chael Sonnen
- Longest title reign in UFC history (2457 days)
- Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
- Most finishes in UFC middleweight division history (11)
- Most finishes in UFC title fights (9)
- Most knockdowns in UFC history (18)
- Most knockdowns in UFC title fights (10)
- Most knockouts in UFC title fights (7)
World MMA Awards
- 2008 Fighter of the Year
- 2010 Fight of the Year vs. Chael Sonnen on 7 August
- 2011 Knockout of the Year vs. Vitor Belfort on 5 February
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- Most Outstanding Fighter (2012)
- MMA Most Valuable Fighter (2012)
Mixed martial arts record
As per his MMA records, he fought 45 matches in which he won 34 matches and lost 10 matches. He won 22 matched and lost 3 matches by knockout. He won 4 matches and lost 2 matches by submission. He won 8 matches and lost 4 matches by decision. He lost 1 match by disqualification. His victory against Nick Diaz on 31st January 2015 was declared a no-contest after he was tested positive for steroids, following which he was suspended for one year.
Rank of Anderson Silva
- Black prajied in Muay Thai
- 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira
- 5th dan black belt in Taekwondo
- Yellow rope in Capoeira
How much is Anderson Silva's Net Worth as of 2020?
Anderson Silva is a Brazilian-American professional mixed martial artist currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). He has been able to establish himself as the greatest professional mixed martial artist of all-time due to his hard work and dedication. He holds the longest title streak in UFC history with 16 consecutive wins and 10 title defenses. As of 2020, his net worth is estimated to have $18 Million. He is one of the richest MMA fighters in the world. He has made tremendous net worth widely through his MMA career. Since 2008, he is signed to UFC. His earnings as of 2019 was $670,000 at UFC 234, 2017 was $820,000 at UFC 208 and $600,000 as of 2016 at UFC 200. His earnings/salary as of 2020 is unknown. His source of earning is from his fighting career and he is satisfied with his earnings. In June 2018, he listed his home in Palos Verdes Estates for sale at $4.9 million. The 7,100 square feet mansion includes six bedrooms and eight bathrooms. There are living rooms with motorized glass doors on each level. He is living a luxurious lifestyle as of now. Besides this, he became the first client to be marketed by 9INE, a sports marketing company co-owned by Ronaldo. Since August 2011, Anderson has been sponsored by Corinthians, his favorite football club. Previously he had also sponsorship deal with sportswear and equipment supplier Nike, which ended in late 2014 due to Nike's self-removal from the UFC.
Who is Anderson Silva's Wife?
Anderson Silva is a married man. He married his longtime girlfriend, former gymnast Dayane, in the Summer of 2011, after being together for 20 years. The couple met for the first while Dayana was just 13 years old and Silva just 17 years old. He was already a promising MMA fighter back then. They have two daughters and three sons together namely Kalyl Silva, Kayana Silva, Gabriel Silva, Kaory Silva, and Joao Vitor Silva. His wife also appeared in the 2009 feature film "Never Surrender". She once did a short segment during the UFC hype show for one of Anderson's fights.
How tall is Anderson Silva?
Anderson Silva is a very handsome person with a strong body build. He stands at the tall height of six feet two inches or 1.88 m and he weighs around 84 kg (185 lb). His hair color is bald and his eye color is dark brown. Information regarding his other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, biceps size, and more is unknown.