Facts About Andre Leon Talley
|Celebrated Name||Andre Leon Talley|
|Age||74 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Andre Leon Talley|
|Place Of Birth||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Parents||Alma Ruth Davis (mother) and William C. Talley (father)|
|University||North Carolina Central University (BA); Brown University (MA)|
|Source of Wealth||Fashion journalist, stylist, creative director, and editor-at-large of "Vogue" magazine career.|
|Net Worth||$1.5 million|
|Height||6 feet 6 inches|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Links||Instagram Wikipedia Twitter|
Andre Leon Talley was an American fashion journalist, stylist, creative director, and editor-at-large of "Vogue magazine". He was well recognized for being the magazine's fashion news director from 1983 to 1987, its first African-American male creative director from 1988 to 1995, and then its editor-at-large from 1998 to 2013. He also offered fashion advice to Michelle Obama in 2008, encouraging her to investigate the clothing line of designer Jason Wu. Talley authored three books, including the memoir "The Chiffon Trenches" as well as he was the editor-at-large of Numero Russia in 2013, before resigning due to anti-LGBT laws in Russia. Also, Andre was awarded the Chevalier de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres honor for arts and letters by France in 2020 whereas he had also received North Carolina Award for literature in 2021. Sadly, we lost such a versatile man on 18th January 2022.
Andre Leon Talley Death Cause
Andre Leon Talley died from complications of a heart attack and COVID-19 at a hospital in White Plains on 18th January 2022, at the age of 73. His death, in a hospital after a series of health struggles, was confirmed by his friend Darren Walker, the president of the Ford Foundation.
What was Andre Leon Talley Famous For?
- Being an American fashion journalist, stylist, creative director, and editor-at-large of "Vogue" magazine.
- For being the "Vogue" magazine's fashion news director from 1983 to 1987.
Where was Andre Leon Talley from?
Andre Leon Talley was born on 16th October 1948 in Washington, D.C., U.S. He was American by nationality and Afro-American by ethnicity. Likewise, his religious belief was in the Christian religion and his race was white. Andre lastly celebrated his 73rd birthday back in 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign was Libra. He was the son of Alma Ruth Davis (mother) and William C. Talley (father), a taxi driver. His parents left him with his maternal grandmother, Binnie Francis Davis, who worked as a cleaning lady at Duke University, in Durham, North Carolina.
Talking about Andre's education, he was educated at Hillside High School, graduating in 1966, and North Carolina Central University, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in French literature in 1970. He won a scholarship to Brown University, where he earned a Master of Arts degree in French literature in 1972.
How was the Career of Andre Leon Talley?
- Andre Leon Talley kicked off his career working at Andy Warhol's Factory and "Interview" magazine for $50 a week after which he got a job at "Women's Wear Daily", becoming its Paris bureau chief, and "W", from 1975 through 1980.
- Then he worked for "The New York Times" and many other publications before finally landing at "Vogue", where he worked as the fashion news director from 1983 to 1987 and then as the first African American male creative director from 1988 to 1995.
- He co-wrote with Richard Bernstein the book "MegaStar" in 1984 but, he left his role as creative director at Vogue and moved to Paris in 1995 to work for "W", and served as contributing editor at "Vogue".
- In 1998, he returned to "Vogue" as the editor-at-large until his departure in 2013 to pursue another editorial venture.
- Andre authored an autobiography titled "A.L.T.: A Memoir" in 2003 and two years later he also authored "A.L.T. 365+".
- As well, he served on the judging panel for "America's Next Top Model" from March 2010 to December 2011, and from 2013 to 2014, he served as international editor of "Numero Russia".
- Talley also was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Savannah College of Art and Design since 1995.
- Later, he started hosting his own radio show principally concerned with fashion and pop culture on Sirius XM satellite station Radio Andy in April 2017.
- He was the subject of a documentary film, "The Gospel According to Andre" which was screened in September 2016 at the Toronto Film Festival and was released in the U.S. on 25th May 2018.
- He was also featured in the documentaries "The First Monday in May" and "The September Issue" whereas on 19th May 2020, he also released "The Chiffon Trenches: A Memoir".
Andre Leon Talley Books
- A.L.T.: A Memoir
- A.L.T. 365+
- The Chiffon Trenches: A Memoir
Awards and Achievements
- 2003: Eugenia Sheppard Award for Fashion Journalism, Council of Fashion Designers of America
- 2008: Honorary Doctor of Humanities, Savannah College of Art and Design
- 2011: The Andre Leon Talley Gallery opened in the SCAD Museum of Art
- 2020: Chevalier de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres honor for arts and letters
- 2021: North Carolina Award for literature
Was Andre Leon Talley Married?
Andre Leon Talley was an unmarried guy. There was not much about his personal relation and partner as he always maintained a distance in his personal life and media. But we know he was not married and had no wife. Reflecting on Talley's sexual orientation, he was straight. During his 29th May 2018 appearance on "The Wendy Williams Show", when asked about his sexual orientation, Talley stated, "No, I'm not heterosexual; I'm saying I'm fluid in my sexuality, darling."
How much was Andre Leon Talley Net Worth?
Andre Leon Talley had a net worth of $1.5 million at the time of his death (2022). He also gained a fine amount of salary which was around $300,000 per year. Andre had earned a considerable amount of money from his profession as his major source of income was from his fashion journalist, stylist, creative director, and editor-at-large of "Vogue" magazine career.
What was the Height of Andre Leon Talley?
Andre Leon Talley who stood 6 feet 6 inches tall was an unmistakable figure everywhere he went. His hair color was grey and his eyes color was dark brown. Moreover, Andre was Average by body build type.
Trivias About Andre Leon Talley You Need To Know.
- He graduated from North Carolina Central University and went on to study French at Brown University.
- He offered fashion advice to Michelle Obama in 2008, encouraging her to investigate the clothing line of designer Jason Wu.
- He developed a close friendship with singer Mariah Carey.
- He also authored three books, including the memoir The Chiffon Trenches.
- In 2020, France awarded him the Chevalier de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres honor for arts and letters; and the following year he received the North Carolina Award for his role in literature.