Angela Bassett - Bio, Net Worth, Actress, Movies, TV Shows, AHS, Oscar, Awards, Biopic, Married, Husband, Children, Diet, Age, Height, Facts, Wiki
Angela Bassett is an American actress, who is most known for her roles in biographical productions like What's Love Got to Do with It and The Rosa Parks Story. She has worked on a large variety of projects in her illustrious career spanning over three decades.
Before getting into acting, she briefly served as a receptionist at a beauty salon and worked as a photo researcher at the U.S. News & World Report magazine. However, she proved her acting prowess as a theater actor and went on to feature in several movies and television shows. Let's know more about her through this article.
What is Angela Bassett famous for?
- An American Golden Globe-winning actress.
- Her appearances in What's Love Got to Do with It, Waiting to Exhale, Notorious, The Jackson: An American Dream, Malcolm X, and Panther.
Where is Angela Bassett From?
Recalling her early life, Angela was born in New York City, New York. She was born to her parents; Betty Jane and Daniel Benjamin Bassett in the year 1958 as Angela Evelyn Bassett. She also has a younger sister D'nette. She is Afro-American ethnicity and she is of American nationality. After the separation of her parents, her mother took both of the children to live with her grandmother in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Where is Angela Bassett educated?
Concerning her education, Angela studied at Boca Ciega High School and attended Yale University where she received her bachelor's degree in African-American studies. She earned a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Yale School of Drama.
When did Angela Bassett pursue her acting career?
- Moving towards her career, Angela started her acting career on stage under his direction. She appeared in two August Wilson plays, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (1984) and Joe Turner's Come and Gone (1986), at the Yale Repertory Theater. Around the same time, she was featured in J. E. Franklin's Black Girl at Second Stage Theater.
- She soon switched to TV and films, but initially, she was mostly cast in stereotypical roles reserved for African-American women. Her first major role came in 1991 when she was cast in John Singleton's Boyz N The Hood. Her friend Laurence Fishburne, who also acted in the movie, had recommended her for the role.
- Bassett, who was a big Jackson 5 fan, was offered the role of Katherine Jackson in the mini-series The Jacksons: An American Dream in 1992. She went on to play the role of Betty Shabazz in the biopic Malcolm X, which released in the same year. She would portray Betty Shabazz again in Panther, released in 1995.
- In 1993, she got the breakthrough role of her career, playing Tina Turner in the biographical film What's Love Got to Do with It. Her friend, Laurence Fishburne, who had previously turned down the role of Ike Turner five times, portrayed the character after Bassett was roped in to play the lead role.
- In 1995 and 1998, she played major roles in two film adaptations of books by Terry McMillan, Waiting to Exhale and How Stella Got Her Groove Back. In the former, she worked alongside Whitney Houston, the most awarded female artist of all time.
- Angela Bassett continued to appear on stage productions, working with her husband Courtney B. Vance in His Girl Friday in 2005. The next year, she starred in another August Wilson play, Fences, alongside Fishburne.
- In 2002, she played the protagonist in the biographical telefilm The Rosa Parks Story.
- In 2006, she worked with Keke Palmer and Laurence Fishburne in the critically acclaimed movie Akeelah and the Bee. She went on to appear in a major role in the 2009 biopic Notorious.
- On television, she made guest appearances in several shows, before being cast as Dr. Cate Banfield in the final season of the long-running medical drama ER in 2008.
- More recently, she has appeared in four seasons of American Horror Story, earning several award nominations for her performance.
- In 2010, She lent her voice to portray First Lady Michelle Obama on an episode of The Simpsons titled Stealing First Base. He was seen as a terrific fill-in for Obama. She was also cast in the superhero film Green Lantern, released in 2011, as notable DC Comics character Amanda Waller.
- She portrayed Coretta Scott King in the television film Betty and Coretta, which aired on February 2nd, 2013, continuing her trend of portraying real women. She had previously played Shabazz in both Malcolm X and Panther but instead played Coretta Scott King opposite to Mary J.
- It was announced in May 2014 that he would make her directorial debut with Whitney, a TV film based on the life of Whitney Houston, who Bassett had worked with previously. She had previously expressed interest in directing the year before.
- In the 2015 film Survivor, She portrayed United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom Maureen Crane. In a negative review of the film, Mark Kermode lamented Bassett appears from behind closed doors like a celebrity guest on Stars in Their Eyes.
- In March 2016, She appeared in London Has Fallen, reprising her role as Lynne Jacobs. She noted "it was the very first sequel I've ever done" and that she had been excited at the prospect of another film after the initial success of Olympus Has Fallen.
- In January 2018, She starred in the Fox first responder procedural drama 9-1-1, of which she is also a producer. She starred in the acclaimed Marvel superhero film Black Panther, as Dowager Queen Ramonda, mother of the titular character. She also voiced the Decepticon villain Shatter from the Transformers live-action film Bumblebee.
- In 2019, she joined the cast of Gunpowder Milkshake. She also reprised her role as Ramonda in Avengers Endgame.
Who is Angela Bassett married to?
Reflecting on her personal life, Angela is married to an American actor Courtney B. Vance. the couple got married on 12th October 1997 after being in a romantic relationship for a year. The couple has been blessed with twins; daughter, Bronwyn Golden Vance, and son, Slater Josiah Vance.
Previously, she was also in a romantic with Mark Jenkins. There is no information about her being in other romantic relationships that we know of.
How Much is Angela Bassett worth?
Being an actress by profession, Angela earns a decent amount of money and fame through her profession in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on some online sites, her estimated net worth said to be $20 million at present. However, her salary and assets details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Angela Bassett?
Observing her body physics, Angela stands a height of 5 feet 4 inches and weighs around 52 Kg. Similarly, she has a pair of hazel eyes and dark brown hair color. She used 34B bra size and 4 (US) dress sizes. Further, her body measures 34-25-37 inches and she has a slim body.
Trivias About Angela Bassett You Need To Know.
- She made brief appearances in the films F/X and Kindergarten Cop, then had one of her first prominent film roles in the 1991 drama Boyz n the Hood, playing the character Reva Devereaux.
- She was once employed as a photo researcher at U.S. News & World Report magazine.
- Won the 2002 Lena Horne Award for Outstanding Career Achievements in the Field of Entertainment.