Anne Robinson Bio, Net Worth, Age, Husband, Career, Height, Wiki
Anne Josephine Robinson is an English television presenter and journalist who is professionally known as Anne Robinson. She is well recognized for being the host of the BBC game show "The Weakest Link" (2000-2012, 2017). Her hosting gig earned her the nickname of "The Queen of Mean." She worked as a farmhand, paralegal, and journalist before beginning her career as a game show host. She was also hired as a chicken gutter and saleswoman during the holidays in the family business, before taking office jobs at a law firm. Anne has presented the Channel 4 game show "Countdown" since June 2021. Additionally, it is announced in May 2022 that she will be leaving the show, "Countdown" after just one year. In total, she recorded 265 episodes.
Why is Anne Robinson leaving 'Countdown'?
Anne Robinson is stepping down as the host of Countdown after a year, and said she hopes her stint helped TV bosses realize that not all women her age are "in care homes playing bingo". She said it was time for a change. "I've had a blast hosting this wonderful show and I stayed longer than I signed up for," she said. "Now it is time for an older woman to take the reins." She added: "I hope, too, I've encouraged TV bosses to realize that not all women at the wrong end of their 70s are in care homes playing bingo and watching conjuring tricks," Robinson said the genius of Countdown was that it was a brilliant way to keep the brain exercised. "I run 5k most days of the week. And I can now do an anagram at twice the speed I could this time last year. But I have grandchildren, a large garden, and a home in New York, all deserving more of my attention."
Anne Robinson Famous For
- Being an English television presenter and journalist.
- For being the host of the BBC game show "The Weakest Link" (2000-2012, 2017).
What is Anne Robinson's Real Name?
Anne Robinson was born on 26th September 1944 with the real name of Anne Josephine Robinson in Crosby, Lancashire, England. She is British by nationality and mixed by ethnic background. Similarly, her religion is Christian and her race is white. Anne has celebrated her 77th birthday as of 2021 and as per her birthdate, her star sign is Libra. Her father, Robinson Wilson was a schoolteacher whereas her mother, Anne Josephine who was an alcoholic, was an agricultural businesswoman from Northern Ireland, where she was the manager of a market stall. She has one sibling, a brother named Peter Robinson. She attended Farnborough Hill School.
Anne Robinson Career Timeline
- Anne Robinson began her career working as the first young female trainee in the "Daily Mail" where she secured a permanent position after which she joined "The Sunday Times".
- She worked for the "Liverpool Echo" and returned to Fleet Street in 1980, working as a columnist and assistant editor of the "Daily Mirror".
- She has also written weekly columns for a succession of other British newspapers, such as "Today", "The Sun", "The Express", "The Times", and "The Daily Telegraph".
- Then she started starring on BBC television in 1982, initially as an occasional panelist on "Question Time" and presenting her 'TV Choice' on "Breakfast Time".
- She took over the presentation and writing of the consumer affairs television program "Watchdog" in 1993 as she is well known in the UK for hosting the game show "The Weakest Link", and in the United States its NBC primetime counterpart, "Weakest Link".
- She also hosted a spin-off version of "The Weakest Link" in Cirencester to raise funds for the local White Horse Hunt in February 2002 and made an appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 2005.
- She starred in an episode of the revived "Doctor Who", entitled "Bad Wolf" in 2005 as well as hosted the BBC's outtakes program "Outtake" TV until 2009.
- Later returned to presenting BBC One's long-running consumer show "Watchdog" in 2009 and finished presenting "The Weakest Link" in 2012 after twelve years as the host of 1,693 shows. She had presented Watchdog for a total of 15 years.
- Also, she presented "Anne Robinson's Britain" for BBC One in 2016.
- She responded to the accusations of sexual abuse made against multiple men which had followed Harvey Weinstein allegations published earlier in the month at the end of October 2017 on BBC Radio's "Today" program. She was accused of victim-blaming on social media.
- Anne was announced as the next host of the game show "Countdown" in February 2021 as her premiere as host aired on 28th June 2021.
- It is announced in May 2022 that she will be leaving the show, "Countdown" after just one year. In total, she recorded 265 episodes.
- Moreover, Anne published her autobiography, "Memoirs of an Unfit Mother" in 2001.
Who is Anne Robinson Husband?
Anne Robinson is a married woman. She tied a knot with the journalist Charles Wilson in 1968. In 1970, the couple had a daughter, Emma Wilson, who later became a British radio disc jockey and has also hosted "Scaredy Camp". She lost a custody battle for Emma, her only child, then aged two in 1973. Wilson was granted sole custody, care, and control of Emma, who subsequently lived with her father until she left home at 16 for boarding school. Later she married journalist John Penrose in 1980. But, the couple announced on 30th September 2007 that they were planning to divorce, citing "irreconcilable differences". Later, they divorced. At present, she is living a single life happily. Talking about Anne's sexual orientation, she is straight.
How much is Anne Robinson Net Worth?
Anne Robinson is a talented woman who has a net worth of $45 million as of 2022 whereas she has also a handsome amount of salary which is around thousands of dollars per year. She is among those few individuals that have such a wide range of experience and remains true to whatever she embarks on. Anne has gained a considerable amount of money from her profession as her major source of income is from her television presenter and journalist career.
What is the Height of Anne Robinson?
Anne Robinson stands at an ideal height of 1.55 m with a balanced body weight. She has blonde hair and dark brown eyes color. Her body build type is slim and her body measurements are 31-27-32 inches. In addition, Anne was diagnosed with skin cancer and had surgery to treat it in 2001.
Did You Know?
- Before beginning her career as a game show host, she worked as a farmhand, paralegal, and journalist.
- Her hosting gig earned her the nickname of "The Queen of Mean."
- She was referenced in How I Met Your Mother, a series that starred Neil Patrick Harris.
- She has presented the Channel 4 game show Countdown since June 2021, taking over from Nick Hewer.
- She inherited the family market stall in Liverpool and transformed it into one of the largest wholesale poultry dealing businesses in the north of England.