Benedict Cumberbatch - Bio, Wife, Net Worth, Age, Height, Movies, Wiki
The entertainment industry is the place where people can get fame, money, and the opportunity to establish to him/herself around the world. Currently, we know many celebrities whether they are in Hollywood, Bollywood, or many other industries. Each one has its own story of struggling. Today, we are going to talk about a person who has deep interest in acting since his childhood. He is not other than Benedict Cumberbatch. He often participated in various Shakespearean works during his school days. Later, he joined theater, theater to TV shows /series, and finally in the film industry.
During his journey from the theatre to films, he plays numerous attention which makes him easy to establish in the film industry and got big opportunity to play such a big budget and super hit movies. Some of the known appearances in the movies and TV series are Sherlock (2010-Present), Star Trek into Darkness (2013), The Imitation Game (2014), Doctor Strange and its sequels, and the Avengers franchise, such as Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019). Do you know that his performance as Vincent Van Gogh in the hit movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words’ is considered one of the best portrayals of the artist?
Besides that, he narrates numerous animated movies. Also, he won 32 awards out of 108 nominations during his career. Further, he suffers from a disease called “heterochromia.” Therefore, his eyes have different colors. It generally changes from blue to green. To know more about him and his career, you can read the below article.
- An English actor, theatre artist, producer, and voice actor.
- His portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the hit BBC TV series Sherlock (2010-Present), as the villain Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek into Darkness (2013), and as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game (2014).
Where is Benedict Cumberbatch from?
Benedict Cumberbatch was born in 1978 to his parents. Currently, he is aged 45 years old and his birth date is July 19. He currently lives in Hampstead, North London, England, United Kingdom but his birthplace is London, England, United Kingdom. He holds British nationality and belongs to the White ethnicity. His birth sign is Cancer and he is a follower of the "Light of Asia" - Buddha. Thus, his religion is Buddhism.
Similarly, his parents are Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham. Both of his parents are actors by profession. He has one step-sister named Tracy Peacock from his mother's first marriage. Since his childhood, he participated in various Shakespearean works because of a deep interest in acting. Also, his parents belong in the acting field, which somehow impacts him.
For education, he studied at Brambletye School and later Harrow School where he has an art scholarship. After completing school, he volunteered for an English teaching job at a Tibetan Monastery in Darjeeling, India for one year. He then returned and joined the University of Manchester wherein he has a BA degree in Drama. After that, he enrolled at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, from where he graduated with an MA in Classical Acting.
Benedict Cumberbatch's career in Theatre
- Upon his graduation, he joined the theatre. After struggling for several years, he has had major roles in a dozen classic plays at the Regent's Park Open Air, Almeida, Royal Court, and Royal National Theatres since 2001.
- In 2005, he performed as George Tesman in the play Hedda Gabler which was highly appreciated.
- He then appeared in Terence Rattigan’s famous play After the Dance at the Royal National Theater.
- Some of the other major plays are The Children's Monologues (2010) and Frankenstein (2011).
- In 2015, he performed in Shakespeare's Hamlet at London's Barbican Theatre.
Benedict Cumberbatch's career in Film Industry
- Benedict Cumberbatch has also appeared in films and TV shows during her career. He debuted on television in 2002 through the TV show, Tipping the Velvet.
- He then appeared on the TV show, Cambridge Spies in 2003. The same year, he was cast as Rory in the comedy-drama series, Fortysomething.
- In 2004, he got his first major role in television. He was selected to play the role of Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series, Hawking.
- He also voiced Stephen Hawking in the first episode of Curiosity, a television drama series.
- In 2005, he was cast in the role of Edmund Talbot in the TV miniseries, To the Ends of the Earth.
- The same year, he also made guest appearances in shows like Broken news and Nathan Barley.
- In 2007, he starred alongside Tom Hardy in the TV adaptation of Stuart: A Life Backwards.
- The same year, he debuted in the film industry in supporting roles through Atonement.
- After a year, he played the lead role in the hit BBC miniseries, The Last Enemy.
- In 2009, he was cast as Joseph Hooker in Charles Darwin’s biopic Creation. The same year, he appeared on the TV shows like Maple: Murder is Easy and Small Island.
- 2010 is his significant year as he was cast to play the role of Vincent Van Gogh in the hit movie Van Gogh: Painted with Words. His performance as Van Gogh was appreciated all around the world and is still revered as one of the best portrayals of the artist.
- The same year, he appeared in two different films, The Whistleblower and Four Lions. He was also cast as Sherlock Holmes in the critically acclaimed TV series Sherlock in 2010.
- In 2012, He was cast in the BBC and HBO co-produced miniseries Parade’s End.
- In 2013, He played the antagonist in the movie Star Trek into Darkness.
- He played British cryptographer Alan Turing in the historical drama Imitation Game and also voiced a character in the animated movie Penguins of Madagascar in 2014.
- In 2016, he was cast as Doctor Strange in the Marvel Studios super-heroes films. Later, he appeared in the Avengers franchise, such as Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019).
- He was also cast as The Grinch for the 2018 remake of the classic story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
- In 2017, he was cast to star in Patrick Melrose, a miniseries adaptation of Edward St Aubyn’s novels.
- In 2021, he voiced on the three-episode of What If...? as Doctor Strange / Strange Supreme.
- In 2022, The Doctor Strange sequel Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness is released where he played multiple roles.
- The same year, he host Saturday Night Live on the episode of Benedict Cumberbatch / Arcade Fire.
- His upcoming projects are The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar which is currently on filming.
- Besides that, he narrates numerous animated movies like Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking, Curiosity (2011), Jerusalem (2013), Cristiano Ronaldo: The World at His Feet (2014), Walk with Me - A Journal into Mindfulness featuring Thich Nhat Hanh (2017) and many others.
Benedict Cumberbatch's wife, children
Benedict Cumberbatch has happily married to long-time girlfriend, Sophie Hunter. They first met in 2009 on the set of Burlesque Fairytales and later started dating in 2014. At the end of the same year, they got engaged in a private ceremony. Four months later, they exchanged their wedding vows on February 14, 2015, at the 12th century Church of St. Peter and St. Paul on the Isle of Wight. Together, the couple blessed three kids. They are Hal Auden, Christopher Carlton, and Finn Cumberbatch. Currently, the couple lice blissful life with their children.
Previously, he has been in several romantic relationships with a celebrity like Olivia Poulet (1999-11), Anna Jones (2011-12), and Charlotte Asprey (2013). He also rumors of dating the celebrities like Lydia Hearst (2012), Liv Tyler (2012), Lara Pulver (2012), Katia Elizarova (2012), and Dakota Johnson (2013).
Benedict Cumberbatch's net worth in 2022
Benedict Cumberbatch has been engaged in the entertainment industry since 1998. During his career, he has played in numerous films. He also engaged in radio shows. Thus, he probably earned the sum of an impressive amount of money and fame throughout his career. Based on some online sites, his current estimated net worth is said to be $40 million. However, his salary and other financial details are yet to be disclosed.
Moreover, he has appeared in and narrated several TV commercials which somehow adds to his fortune quite well. They are listed below:
- MG GS “Chinese Car Advertisement” (2015),
- Dunlop (2014)
- Google + Tom “Campaign” (2012)
- Jaguar Alive (2012)
- Sony Handycam NEX-5N (2012)
- Jaguar XFR Growler (2011)
- Hiscox “There is a light” (2012)
Benedict Cumberbatch's height, weight
Benedict Cumberbatch has an athletic body build with a height of 6 feet 1 inch and he weighs around 78 Kg. Similarly, his eyes are blue-green and his hair color is reddish however his natural hair color is blonde. Also, he has a tiny wrinkle on his nose. He used to wear 12 (US) shoe sizes and his biceps size is 13 inches. Further, his other body information is yet to be disclosed. Overall, he has a healthy body with sharp cheekbones.
Trivias About Benedict Cumberbatch You Need To Know.
- He suffers from a disease called “heterochromia.” Therefore, his eyes have different colors. It generally changes from blue to green.
- He thinks that he resembles Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.
- Before becoming an actor, he was thinking to become a lawyer.
- There are more than 100 million words of Fan Fiction dedicated to him.
- He has been voted as the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ in Empire and People magazine’s annual list on many occasions.
- His life’s principle is Nothing is Impossible. The word Impossible itself says, ‘I’m possible.’
- In the past, he almost changed his name to “Ben Carlton” because it was much easier to say.
- In February 2022, he was featured on the cover of Vanity Fair‘s 28th annual Hollywood issue.
- He was not the first choice to play Doctor Strange in the Marvel Studio films. Joaquin Phoenix was first offered the role, after whose rejection, it went to him.
- When he was 12, he played the role of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream.