Bill Nye - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Age, Parents, Family, Height, Career
Bill Nye is an American TV personality, science communicator, and mechanical engineer. He is known for being the host of the science television show "Bill Nye the Science Guy" (1993–1999) and the Netflix show "Bill Nye Saves the World" (2017–2018), and for his many appearances in popular media as a science educator. He began his career as a mechanical engineer for Boeing in Seattle. In 1986, he left Boeing to pursue comedy. He then wrote and performed for the local sketch television show "Almost Live!", where he regularly conducted wacky science experiments.
Nye has written two bestselling books on science: Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (2014) and Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World (2015). Moreover, he has also appeared n other TV shows, including Dancing with the Stars, The Big Bang Theory, and Inside Amy Schumer. He starred in a documentary about his life and science advocacy, Bill Nye: Science Guy. His most recent series, The End is Nye, premiered on August 25, 2022, on Peacock and Syfy.
What is Bill Nye Famous For?
- Bill Nye is a TV personality, science communicator, and mechanical engineer.
- He is famous for being the writer for a show he pitched himself called Bill Nye, the Science Guy (1993-1998).
- He is famed for his appearance in a famous TV show dedicated to science, The Big Bang Theory, where he had a role from 2013 to 2018.
- He is also well-recognized for being one of the most famous science-oriented personalities in the media industry.
Who are Bill Nye's Parents?
Bill Nye was born with the birth name of William Sanford Nye on 27th November 1955. Bill was born in Washington, D.C. the USA. He is the son of his mother, Jacqueline Jenkins-Nye (who dies in 2000), and his father, Edwin Darby Nye (who dies in 1997). His mother was a codebreaker during World War II whereas his father worked as a contractor building an airstrip on Wake Island and also served during World War II. During the war, his dad was captured and spent his life in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp for four years where he was deprived of watch and electricity. As per the reports, Edward was able to learn to calculate the time seeing a shovel handle’s shadow. He also has two siblings - Edward Darby Nye Jr. (Brother), and Susan Nye (Sister).
Nye holds American nationality and belongs to Mixed ethnicity as he is of American descent but has Welsh, Irish, and English roots on his maternal side. His religion is Christianity. He cut his 67th birthday in 2022.
For his education, Bill was enrolled at Lafayette Elementary School and then joined the Alice Deal Junior High School. He also obtained a scholarship while attending Sidwell Friends for high school in 1975. He next went to Cornell University for which he moved to Ithaca, New York. He next joined the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. In 1977, he completed his graduation with a BS degree in mechanical engineering.
Bill Nye Career Timeline
- Bill Nye, at first, worked as an engineer after completing his mechanical engineering degree. Working at the Boeing Corporation, he successfully invented a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube. He had a dream of working at NASA and therefore applied for NASA’s astronaut training program four times but was rejected every time.
- It was in 1978, he began his career in standup comedy career after winning a Steve Martin look-alike contest. He realized the quality possessed inside him to entertain people after performing Steve Martin impressions at parties in front of his friends. He started moonlighting as a comedian while he was working at Boeing
- Nye started contributing to a non-profit organization named "Big Brothers Big Sisters of America" and also went to volunteering serving as a "Science Explainer" at the Pacific Science Center on weekends.
- On 3rd October 1986, he left his job at Boeing and the reason behind his resignation is said to be his interest in his burgeoning comedy career. In 1987, he got an opportunity to meet Sagan at Cornell during the 10-year college reunion program. He told him that he was interested in developing a new science television program.
- In 1986, Nye worked as a writer/actor on a local sketch comedy television show in Seattle called "Almost Live!". He earned his first breakthrough on the show with the help of John Keister. He was able to impress the whole audience with his outstanding performances with some comical demonstrations. He was just a freelance worker for the show.
- He grabbed an opportunity to work as the host for the short educational program named "Fabulous Wetlands" on Washington State’s wetlands in 1989 which was the sponsor of the program was the Washington State Department of Ecology.
- His talents made him receive multiple offers for various nationally broadcast programs including All-New Mickey Mouse Club on Disney Channel. He made his appearance in educational segments of Back to the Future assisting Dr. Emmett Brown. He also appeared on an appealing show called Bill Nye the Science Guy in 1993 that aired on public broadcasting station KCTS-TV.
- He worked together with James McKenna, Elizabeth Brock, and Erren Gottlieb for KCTS where they used to plan and create the show. Further, he was able to receive underwriting from the US Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation.
- His show was so popular that it was included to be part of the Children’s Television Act requirements. This made the show to be the first television show to telecast concurrently on public and commercial stations. The program aired from 1993 to 1998.
- In addition to this, he used to appear wearing a bow tie on a powder blue lab coat while portraying the role of "The Science Guy". Every episode of the program was presented with the aim of educating younger audiences on various science concepts although it was equally useful for mature viewers as well. He became more popular because he was able to make science more interesting and entertaining and presented a completely different teaching tool.
- Based on Bill Nye the Science Guy, published books including The Science Guy which was released in 1996. His character as a Science Guy is also one of the prominent roles in the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He has also appeared at Ellen’s Energy Adventure with Ellen DeGeneres.
- After that, he started working on a new project called The Eyes of Nye. He also worked as the technical expert on an American robot combat television series called "BattleBots" (2000-2002). He also became the host of the award-winning series named 100 Greatest Discoveries from 2004 to 2005 which was produced by THINKFilm for The Science Channel.
- In addition to this, he also served the Greatest Inventions with Bill Nye, an eight-part Discovery Channel series as its host. He has made multiple guest appearances in various episodes of Numb3rs, a crime drama television series as an engineering faculty member. He can also see in the VH1 reality show America’s Most Smartest Model as a guest.
- He was also one of the experts in the daytime game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire in 2008 appearing in “Ask the Expert” lifeline. He hosted a short-lived show called Stuff Happens in 2008 which was aired on the Planet Green network. He was also seen acting as himself in November 2008 in a military science fiction television series called Brain Storm in the fifth-season episode.
- He was the guest star of The Big Bang Theory in 2013 for the episode called The Proton Displacement. Netflix made an announcement on 31st August 2016, stating that Nye would be cast in the series titled Bill Nye Saves the World. The series got premiered on 21st April 2017.
- He was also part of the 2016 documentary called Food Evolution. A biographical documentary film was based on him named Bill Nye: Science Guy which was directed by Jason Sussberg and by David Alvarado in 2017. He appeared in a fictionalized version of himself in Blindspot’s Let It Go in 2018.
- Nye has continued his advocacy against climate change and was featured on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on 12th May 2019, in which he discussed climate change and the proposed Green New Deal.
- His most recent series, "The End is Nye", premiered on August 25, 2022, on Peacock and Syfy.
Bill Nye Awards and Achievements
- Nye was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in May 1999 where he was also the commencement speaker.
- In May 2008, Johns Hopkins University awarded him an honorary doctorate.
- Willamette University made him the receiver of the honorary doctor of science degree in May 2011.
- Bill received the honorary doctor of pedagogy degree on May 20, 2013, from Lehigh University. The American Humanist Association has awarded him the 2010 Humanist of the Year Award.
- Nye also became the presenter of the Candle in the Dark Award by CSICOP.
Who is Bill Nye married to?
Bill Nye is married at present. Bill tied the knot to his second wife, Liza Mundy in May 2022. Their wedding was held in Washington D.C. Liza Mundy is a journalist and author by profession. Today, the happily married couple is enjoying their life a lot. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Bill Nye was previously married to his wife, Blair Tindall on 3rd February 2006. Blain Tindall is a musician by profession. Their wedding was held in Los Angeles based at the Entertainment Gathering at the Skirball Cultural Center. They started dating on September 8, 2005, and got engaged on December 2, 2005. After 26 days of married life, they separated in March 2006.
Bill revealed his family’s plight of ataxia in the 2017 PBS documentary. Seeing the problems of his father, brother, and sister, Bill has decided to not have children and stop the genetic condition of the family to pass.
How much is Bill Nye's Net Worth?
Bill Nye is a mechanical engineer, science communicator, and television presenter. As of 2022, the net worth of Bill Nye is estimated to have $8 million. In addition, he has also garnered an impressive amount of fortune from commercials including Ballard Computer, Persil ProClean, WAVY Saturday Morning, and Smithsonian University. His annual salary is over $1 million at present.
Bill is also the owner of a house in Seattle on Mercer Island. He also has some properties in New York, Los Angeles, and others. He has installed solar photovoltaic panels which he has often shown off to visitors. He owns quite a handful of cars, as he has always shown his love for them. He has a Chevrolet Camaro GT, Ford, Kia, and Lexus in his collection. He drives his car every day. He lives a lavish lifestyle at present.
How tall is Bill Nye?
Bill Nye, at 67, still looks young and very handsome. He stands at a height of 6 ft ½ in or 184 cm. He has a bodyweight that consists of 70 KG or 154.5 lbs. His body type is slim. He has a natural dark brown hair color which now has turned gray with his advancing age. He has a pair of hazel eyes. Mostly, he appears in a suit or lab coat with a bowtie. He is very conscious about his food intake.
Trivias About Bill Nye You Need To Know.
- He applied to become a NASA astronaut 4 times but got rejected every time.
- He narrated the movie Astronauts in 1997.
- He published multiple books in a CD format back in 1996, for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
- He was a self-proclaimed geek, both in the way he thought of the world around him, and the way he dressed.
- He has a podcast called Planetary Radio that brings in over 50,000 members worldwide that listen to his opinion on planetary missions and spacecraft that travel to other worlds.