Facts About Bill O'Brien
|Celebrated Name||Bill O'Brien|
|Age||53 Years Old|
|Birth Name||William James O'Brien|
|Profession||Football Head Coach|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Place Of Birth||Dorchester, Massachusetts|
|Famous For||Football Head Coach|
|Best Known For||Ex-head coach of Houston Texans|
|Mother||Anne Murphy O'Brien|
|Brothers||John and Tom|
|High School||St. John's Preparatory School|
|Son||Jack and Michael|
|Net Worth||$7 million|
Bill O'Brien is an American football coach who got recognition for being the head coach and general manager of the Houston Texans of the National Football League(NFL) which he served for almost 6 years from 2014 until 2020 when O'Brien was fired by the Texans. His job as a head coach came to an end following a disappointing 0-4 start to the 2020 NFL season.
Having his coaching career started since the year of 1993 with Brown University, O'Brien hasn't stopped experimenting with his job working with over 7 clubs for over 27 years now as of 2020. O'Brien has worked with clubs: Brown, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Duke, New England Patriots, Penn States, and Houston Texans. He was also named Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2012 and also had received the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award for the NCAA's top head coach.
With the news of O'Brien(also known as "BOB") getting fired hit the ground, Houston's fans and even Twitter went absolutely nuts as, by the end of his tenure, he turned out to be an infamous character and was also embraced as the worst of the worst among head coaches every week.
What is Bill O'Brien Famous for?
- Famous as the ex-head coach of Houston Texans of the National Football League(NFL).
Where was Bill O'Brien Born?
Bill O'Brien was born on October 23, 1969, in Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States. His birth name is William James O'Brien. His nationality is American. O'Brien belongs to White ethnicity while Scorpio is his zodiac sign.
Bill O'Brien was born in a well to do family as one of the three sons to his parents: John O'Brien(father) and Anne Murphy O'Brien(mother). Both of his parents were supportive of him and his wish to do something in the field of sports since his childhood.
Bill grew up in Andover, Massachusetts along with his two brothers, John and Tom. He attended St. John's Preparatory School in Danvers after graduating from high school, he attended Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, where he played defensive end and linebacker for the Brown Bears from 1990 to 1992.
Bill O'Brien's Career Highlights
- Bill O'Brien began his professional career as a coach initially with Brown in 1993. He coached the team for a year, at tight ends in 1993 and inside linebackers in 1994.
- A year later, he began coaching Georgia Tech for the next three seasons as an offensive graduate assistant from 1995 till 1997.
- He then coached the Yellow Jackets' running backs for 2 seasons from the 1998 season through 2000 season.
- O'Brien also served as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and was named an assistant head coach at Georgia Tech for the 2002 season.
- In 2002, he was hired as Notre Dame's offensive Coordinator. He, however, left the position in 2003 to coach running backs at the University of Maryland, where he spent two seasons.
- In 2005, he served as offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach at Duke.
- On February 27, 2007, he was hired by the New England Patriots an offensive assistant. A year later, he was promoted to wide receivers coach.
- He also worked as the quarterback's coach and offensive play-caller at Patriots later as offensive coordinator in 2011. continued as New England's offensive coordinator through Super Bowl XLVI.
- On January 5, 2012, he signed a four-year contract to become the Penn State's coach. He was hired as Penn State's 15th head football coach, replacing Joe Paterno.
- O'Brien's first win as the Penn State head coach happened on September 15, 2012, with a 34–7 win against the United States Naval Academy.
- In his first season with State, O'Brien collected the most wins for a first-year head coach in school history and was awarded Big Ten Coach of the Year on November 27, 2012.
- On January 2, 2014, O'Brien was officially introduced as the head coach of the Houston Texans.
- His first season ended up with a 9-7 record, the second season also with a 9-7 record earning the team their first AFC South title.
- The team went for their third consecutive year with a 9-7 record winning their second consecutive AFC South title.
- On January 13, 2018, O'Brien received a four-year extension. However, the seasons weren't so good for the team as they lost 9 out of 10 games in 2017.
- On January 28, 2020, O'Brien was appointed to the role of general manager for the Texans.
- O'Brien began to receive criticism with his decision of trading wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals.
- Following an 0–4 start of the 2020 NFL season, O'Brien was fired by the Texans on October 5, 2020.
Awards and Honors
- Paul "Bear" Bryant Award (2012)
- Big Ten Coach of the Year (2012)
- Maxwell Coach of the Year (2012)
- AT&T-ESPN Coach of the Year (2012)
Bill O'Brien's Wife
Bill O'Brien is a married man. O'Brien is married to his only wife, Colleen O'Brien. The couple together shares two sons, Jack and Michael. Their elder son, Jack, however, has a rare brain disorder called lissencephaly. The O'Brien family however have managed to live a happy life.
Bill O'Brien's Net Worth
Bill O'Brien has quite great earnings from his professional career as a football coach. Having his career started in the year 1993 at age of 24, O'Brien did everything he could do to be a perfect head coach now working for over 2 decades.
Even though he has faced several backlashes and negative influences following his end of career from Houston Texas on October 5, 2020, O'Brien has remained strong and probably hasn't stepped back from pursuing his dreams.
With his excellent work as a coach of 7 different football teams and also serving as the head coach of Houston Texas for over 6 years, O'Brien has easily managed to amass a healthy fortune which is estimated to be around $7 million. His salary as a head coach was around $3 million.
Bill O'Brien's Height
Bill O'Brien is a good-looking athletic man in his 50s. He stands tall with a height of 6ft. 4inch.(1.93m) while his body weighs around 70kg(154 lbs). He has a fair complexion with bald hair and blue eyes.
Trivias About Bill O'Brien You Need To Know.
- His first NFL job came with the New England Patriots.
- Began his coaching career at age of 24 from Brown University.
- During his time with the New England Patriots, he worked closely under legendary coach Bill Belichick.