Bo Derek - Bio, Net Worth, Married, Husband, Family, Personal Life, Nationality, Age, Life Story, Facts, Wiki, Height, Career, Kids, Films, Actress
Cathleen Collins known as Bo Derek known is an American actress, film producer, and model who is best known for her role in the American sex comedy film, "10"(1979). She is famous for being the most popular sex symbols of the 1970s and 1980s. She debuted with her role as Annie in the film "Orca" in 1977.
She is also known for her movies such as "Tarzan, the Ape Man(1981)", "Bolero(1984)", and Fantasies(1981), all of which received negative reviews and were directed by her late husband, John Derek. Bo has made her guest appearance in the many television series such as "The Drew Carey Show", "Queen of Swords", "Lucky", and "Standing. She has also produced and acted in the Romantic comedy film "Ghosts Can't Do It(1989).
Derek is also known for her relationship with her only husband, late-John Derek, 30 years older than her who died in 1988 since then Bo has remained a widow. However, she is currently in a relationship with actor John Corbett, and have been happily in a relationship for over 18 years though they haven't children yet together.
Besides, she is quite active in the social media platform with around 31k followers on Instagram: @reallyboderek.
What is Bo Derek famous for?
- Famous as an American actress and for her role in the American sex comedy film "10".
Where was Bo Derek born?
Bo Derek was born on November 20, 1956, in Long Beach, California, United States. American is her nationality. Her birth name is Mary Cathleen Collins. Her ethnicity is White while Scorpio is her zodiac sign.
She was born as the oldest of four children of Paul Collins(father) and Norma Collins(mother). Her father was a Hobie Cat executive while her mother was a make-up artist and hairdresser to Ann-Margret. Later, her parents got divorced and her mother married American stuntman, Bobby Bass.
She was raised in Harbor City, California. She did her schooling from Nerbonne High School. Later, she attended George S. Patton Continuation School. While she was in school, she skipped classes and hitchhike to go to the beach. When she was 16, she left her studies to pursue her career in acting.
While shooting her first film, she started dating director, John Dereck who was 30 years older than her. She became sexually involved with him. Then, she moved to Germany with John after he divorced his wife, Linda Evans. When Bo reached 19, the couple got married and returned to the United States.
Bo Derek's Career Highlights
- Bo Derek began her professional acting career by debuting in the American thriller "Orca" directed by Michael Anderson in 1977.
- In the year 1979, she starred in the romantic comedy film "10" directed by Blake Edwards which launched her as a sex symbol. This film was a big success which later earned her many roles.
- She got featured for Playboy Magazine in 1980 after she was launched as a sex symbol. She again got featured in the magazine in 1981, 1984 and 1994.
- She played the role of Anastasia in the 1981 film "Fantasies" directed by her late husband, John Derek. It received negative reviews from critics.
- In 1981, she starred as Jane Parker in her late husband's "Tarzan, the Ape Man" which had a huge box office success but received negative reviews from Critics.
- She again received negative reviews for her another starred film "Bolero" directed by John in 1984.
- Bo after 5 years career break returned in 1989 with a starring role in her husband's directed "Ghosts can't do it". It was the last film directed by John and was produced by Bo. However, this film also did not get positive reviews from critics.
- Then, she appeared in many movies such as "Woman of Desire(1993)", "Tommy Boy(1995)", "Frozen with Fear(2001)", and "Master of Disguise(2002).
- She also appeared in the American-Indian film "5 weddings" in 2017 in the role of Mandy Singh Dhaliwal alongside Indian actor, Raj Kumar Rao, and actress, Nargis Fakhri.
- She appeared on ‘The Drew Carey Show’ in 1999. It was followed by her guest appearances on many television shows like ‘Family Law’, ‘Queen of Swords’, ‘Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place’, ‘Lucky’, ‘Still Standing’, ‘7th Heaven’, ‘Fashion House’, ‘Chuck’, etc.
- Bo published her autobiography titled "Riding Lessons: Everything That Matters in Life I Learned from Horses" in 2002.
- She also had her appearance in TV films like "Sharkando 3: Oh Hell No!" in 2015 and "The Last Sharkando: It's about time" in 2018.
- On August 13, 2020, Bo Derek appeared as a guest on the Discovery Channel’s Shark Week.
Awards and Achievement
- Bo Derek got nominated for the Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year in a Motion Picture- Female for her role in the movie "10" in 1980.
- She has won 2 Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for "Tarzan, the Ape Man", and "Tommy Boy".
- She also has been nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress five times.
- In 2002, she was nominated for Worst Supporting actress in the Master of Disguise.
Everything To Know About John Corbett
Who is Bo Derek's Husband?
Bo Derek has been married once throughout her life to date. Derek's first and the only marriage was with John Derek. John was an American actor and director who was best known for his appearances on "Knock on Any Door", "All the King's Men"(both 1949), and "Rogues of Sherwood Forest"(1950). Bo began dating John, 30 years older than her at the age of 16, while John was still married to his third wife, actress Linda Evans.
They both traveled to the Greek island of Mykonos to make the film, "And Once Upon a Time"(unreleased until 1981, under the title Fantasies). During filming, Derek and Collins began an affair, after which Evans returned to the United States and filed for divorce in 1974. But they remained in Germany, to avoid controversies and prosecution for dating a minor until Cathleen turned 18 that year.
Following her 18th birthday, the couple returned back to the US and eventually got married on June 10, 1976. Cathleen then took on the name- Bo Derek and the couple remained married for 22 years till John’s death from heart failure on May 22, 1998.
Even though she was married to John Derek for 22 years, she and her husband never had children. Four years following John's death, she has been in a relationship with actor John Corbett since 2002 and currently lives on a ranch in Santa Barbara, California. They have been happily dating for nearly 18 years, but there's a good chance they'll never find their way down the aisle.
Besides, she is an avid horse lover and a riding enthusiast, she even owns a pure Portuguese mare, a champion named Gaiata. She is also a national honorary chairperson for Veterans Affairs' National Rehabilitation Special Events.
What is the Net Worth of Bo Derek?
Bo Derek has a good earning from her profession as an actress and also as a producer. Having started her career since 1977, Dereck has managed to amass a healthy fortune from her several movies and series. She has an estimated net worth of $50 million as of 2020. Her net worth includes all her property and her present earnings.
How Tall is Bo Derek?
Bo Derek is a gorgeous lady who has stunning looks even in her 60s. With her marvelous acting and charming personality, Bo Derek has had managed to win several hearts all around the world. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 3inch.(1.60m) while her body weighs around 57kg(126 lbs).
She has a well maintained slim body physique of measurement 36-24-34 inches with 4(US) as her dress size and 6(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and blue eyes.