Facts About Cain Velasquez
|40 Years Old
|Cain Ramirez Velasquez
|Place Of Birth
|Cain Ramirez Velasquez in Salinas, California, United States.
|Arizona State University
|Source of Wealth
|Wrestler and retired mixed martial artist career
|$500,000 per year
|6 ft 1 in (185 cm)
|241 lb (109 kg; 17 st 3 lb)
|Wikipedia Twitter Facebook Instagram
Cain Ramirez Velasquez, excellently known as Cain Velasquez is an American professional wrestler and retired mixed martial artist. He is currently appearing for Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide (AAA). He was an NJCAA National Champion at Iowa Central Community College before transferring to Arizona State University. He won back the UFC Heavyweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Junior dos Santos in September 2012. He earned the nickname 'Cardio Cain' for his tremendous endurance, which allows him to relentlessly fight with aggression. He is also known for his one-punch power. He usually wins his fights either by striking from punches or by decision and does not go for submission attempts. He embarked on a professional wrestling career, firstly working for the Mexican "Lucha Libre" promotion AAA before moving to the American WWE promotion. Cain was released from his WWE contract due to budget cuts resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic in April 2020.
Cain Velasquez arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
Cain Velasquez was arrested for allegedly participating in a shooting in Morgan Hill, in Santa Clara, California, according to San Jose police reports. According to an NBC report from the Bay area, a man was shot near Monterey Highway and Bailey Avenue, although he was transferred to a hospital in the region with injuries that fortunately did not put his health at risk. A man was arrested at the scene of the shooting, although no further details were given of what happened or caused the incident. It was later discovered that it was Cain Velasquez. Velasquez is detained in the county prison, where he was given the number EGO439 and where he was not given access to any bail, for which he had to spend the night on the spot. He will have his first hearing before the authorities this Wednesday, on 2nd March 2022.
What is Cain Velasquez Famous For?
- Being an American professional wrestler and retired mixed martial artist.
- For appearing for Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide (AAA).
What Nationality is Cain Velasquez?
Cain Velasquez was born on 8th July 1982 with the real name of Cain Ramirez Velasquez in Salinas, California, United States. He is of American nationality and he belongs to mixed ethnicity. Similarly, his religious belief is in the Christian religion and his race is white. Cain has celebrated his 39th birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his zodiac sign is Leo. He is the son of his father Efrain Velasquez and his mother, Isabel Velasquez. He also has two siblings named Efrain Jr. and Adela.
Talking about Cain's education, he graduated from Kofa High School where, in four years of wrestling, he compiled a record of 110-10 and won the 5A Arizona Wrestling Championship twice. He later attended Iowa Central Community College, wrestling for one season (2001-2002) and winning the NJCAA National Championship in the heavyweight (285 lb limit) division. Afterward, Velasquez transferred to Arizona State University. He graduated from ASU in 2006, earning a bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies.
How was the Career of Cain Velasquez?
- Cain Velasquez started his MMA career by joining American Kickboxing Academy and made his MMA debut on 7th October 2006, against Jesse Fujarczyk at Strikeforce: Tank vs. Buentello, he won by TKO in the first round.
- He then made his UFC debut against Brad Morris at UFC 83 and won by TKO in the first round as well as he defeated Denis Stojnic at UFC Fight Night 17 and was awarded 'Knockout of the Night' "honors for his performance".
- His next fight was at UFC 99 against former kickboxer and heavyweight contender Cheick Kongo. Velasquez was once again dominant, landing 251 strikes and winning the bout by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, and 30-27)
- On 20th February 2010, he faced former Pride Heavyweight Champion and former Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110 and defeated Nogueira via first-round KO, earning Knockout of the Night honors.
- Subsequently, Cain earned a UFC Heavyweight Championship fight with then-champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 121.
- He was expected to make his first title defense against Junior dos Santos, with a target date of 19th November 2011, at UFC 139, but the fight was later moved to 12th November 2011, to headline the first UFC on Fox 1 event. Velasquez lost via KO at 1 minute and 4 seconds of the first round.
- He faced Antonio Silva in a rematch on 25th May 2013, at UFC 160 in his first title defense which he won via TKO in the first round, and a rubber match with Junior dos Santos took place at UFC 166 on 19th October 2013, in Houston, Texas. Velasquez TKO at 3:09 of the fifth round, successfully defending his title.
- As well, the UFC selected Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum as coaches for the inaugural installment of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America on 29th April 2014, with the two expected to face each other on 15th November 2014, at UFC 180.
- A rematch with Werdum was expected to take place on 6th February 2016, at UFC Fight Night 82 until both fighters backed out citing injuries.
- On 9th July 2016, he next faced Travis Browne at UFC 200 and won the fight via TKO in the closing seconds of the first round. The rematch against Werdum was rescheduled and expected to take place on 30th December 2016, at UFC 207. But, the Nevada State Athletic Commission failed to approve Velasquez to fight.
- Cain headlined UFC's inaugural event on ESPN, UFC on ESPN 1 against Francis Ngannou on 17th February 2019. He lost the fight via knockout less than thirty seconds into round one.
- It was revealed on 4th October 2019 that Velasquez would be withdrawing from the USADA testing pool to focus on his professional wrestling career.
- Later Velasquez announced his retirement from MMA on 11th October 2019.
Professional Wrestling Career
- Cain Velasquez signed a multi-match agreement with Mexican professional wrestling promotion Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide is a heavyweight competitor in March 2019 whereas he made his debut for the promotion at Triplemania XXVII in a trios match.
- His in-ring debut received positive reviews by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Dave Meltzer and many other professional wrestling journalists, as well as other professional wrestlers and Velasquez's American Kickboxing Academy teammate Daniel Cormier.
- He also competed in his second and final AAA match at Lucha Invades NY, where he teamed with Brian Cage and Psycho Clown to defeat Rey Escorpion, Texano Jr., and Taurus.
- Velasquez made his WWE debut on 4th October 2019, on the first episode of SmackDown on Fox, which was also the show's 20th Anniversary.
- He then was scheduled to face Lesnar at Crown Jewel for the WWE Championship on 31st October which Velasquez lost.
- WWE had planned to use Velasquez at their Royal Rumble pay-per-view event in January 2020, but he suffered an injury and the idea was scrapped. On 28th April 2020, he was released from his WWE contract due to budget cuts resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It was announced on 9th October 2021 that Velasquez would be returning to AAA on 4th December and on 18th October, it was announced that Velasquez would team with Psycho Clown and Pagano to face Los Mercenarios and a mystery partner at Triplemania Regia II.
Awards and Achivements
Mixed martial arts
Ultimate Fighting Championship
- UFC Heavyweight Championship (Two times)
- Two successful title defenses
- Knockout of the Night (Three times) vs. Denis Stojnic, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Brock Lesnar
- Performance of the Night (One time) vs. Travis Browne
- 2nd most knockout wins in UFC Heavyweight history (10) - tied with Junior dos Santos
- Highest significant strike percentage in the heavyweight division (57.62%)
- Most takedowns in UFC heavyweight history (34)
- Most total strikes landed in heavyweight history (1464)
- 2010 Fighter of the Year
- 2010 All-Violence 1st Team
- 2012 All-Violence 1st Team
- 2013 All-Violence 1st Team
- 2010 Fighter of the Year
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- Most Outstanding Fighter (formerly Shootfighter of the Year) (2013)
National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American (2005, 2006)
- Pac-10 Conference Championship (2005, 2006)
- Pac-10 Conference Wrestler of the Year (2005)
- NCAA Division I 285 lb - 5th place out of Arizona State University (2005)
- NCAA Division I 285 lb - 4th place out of Arizona State University (2006)
National Junior College Athletic Association
- NJCAA Junior Collegiate Championship (2002)
- NJCAA All-American (2002)
- FILA Junior Freestyle World Team Trials Winner (2002)
- ASICS Tiger High School All-American (2001)
- Western Junior Freestyle Regional Championship (2001)
- Western Junior Greco-Roman Regional Championship (2001)
Arizona Interscholastic Association
- AIA Division I High School State Championship (2000, 2001)
- AIA 5A Conference Championship (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
Who is Cain Velasquez married to?
Cain Velasquez is a married man. He married Michelle Velasquez on 28th May 2011 with whom he is blessed with a daughter born in 2009 and a son born in 2018. The couple is having a good time together, which signifies they do not have affairs with other people. Concerning Cain's sexual orientation, he is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Cain Velasquez?
Cain Velasquez has a net worth of $5 million as of 2022 whereas he has also a fine amount of salary which is around $500,000 per year. With his hard work and luck by his side, he can double the amount of wealth he has today. In addition, Cain's major source of income is from his professional wrestler and retired mixed martial arts career and he is sincere in his work.
How tall is Cain Velasquez?
Cain Velasquez is 6 ft 1 in (185 cm) tall and his body weighs around 241 lb (109 kg; 17 st 3 lb). He has short good-looking dark brown hair and eyes color. He has an athletic body build with 48-35-19 inches of body measurement. Cain is also known for sporting a prominent "Brown Pride" tattoo on his upper chest. He says this tattoo is a tribute to his Mexican heritage.
Trivias About Cain Velasquez You Need To Know.
- He became the top-ranked fighter in the heavyweight class.
- He was an NJCAA National Champion at Iowa Central Community College before transferring to Arizona State University.
- He won back the UFC Heavyweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Junior dos Santos in September, 2012.
- He married Michelle Valasquez in May 2011.
- He defeated Brock Lesnar by TKO on October 23, 2010 to win the UFC Heavyweight title for the first time.