Caleb Swanigan - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Age, Weight, Facts, Parents
Caleb Swanigan was an American professional basketball player. He played as a power forward for the NBA teams Portland Trail Blazers and Sacramento Kings. The Trail Blazers drafted him 26th overall in the 2017 NBA Draft. He also played for G League teams, assigned by his parent team. He left NBA in 2020.
He played college basketball for Purdue University, where he earned numerous honors including the Big Ten Player of the Year for his performance in his sophomore year.
Swanigan died aged 25 on 20 June 2022.
What is Caleb Swanigan Famous For?
- Named Indiana Mr. Basketball in 2015.
Where is Caleb Swanigan From?
Caleb Swanigan was born on 18 April 1997. His birth name is Caleb Sylvester Swanigan. His birth place is in Indianapolis, Indiana in the United States. He held American nationality. He was born to his father, Carl Swanigan Sr., and his mother, Tanya Swanigan. He belonged to the African-American ethnicity and his religion was Christianity. His zodiac sign is Aries. Due to his father's crack cocaine addiction, Swanigan grew up in an unstable home. He moved between Utah and Indianapolis during his youth and spent time in several homeless shelters. He had an older brother named Carl Swanigan Jr. He was later adopted by Roosevelt Barnes, his former basketball coach and a former three-sport star at Purdue who played on the school's 1980 Final Four Team. Barnes adopted Swanigan prior to his 8th grade upon request from Swanigan's older brother Carl Jr. Swanigan was going through unhealthy eating habits leading to weight gain. Barnes put Swanigan through workouts and slimmed down to 260 pounds by the time he finished high school.
He attended Homestead High School and helped the team to win the first state championship in the school's history. He was named Indiana Mr. Basketball in 2015. He was also named to McDonald's All-American and First-team Parade All-American. He averaged 22.6 points and 13.7 rebounds as a senior. He finished his Homestead career with the record for career points (1649) and rebounds (1048), as well as the single-season points (704) and rebounding records (424). He was also second all-time for career blocks (106) and assists (204).
After completing high school, he committed to Purdue University. As a Freshman, he averaged 10.2 points and 8.3 rebounds. For his performance, he was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week three times, a Purdue record. He was also named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team and was awarded the National Freshman of the Week award.
As a sophomore, he was named the Big Ten Player of the Year and named to first-team All-Big Ten, and was a unanimous first-team All-American.
Caleb Swanigan Career
- The Portland Trail Blazers selected him in the first round (26th overall) of the 2017 NBA Draft.
- He signed a rookie contract with the Trail Blazers on 3 July 2017.
- He earned All-Summer League First Team honors for leading the Trail Blazers into the 2017 NBA Summer League finals.
- The Trail Blazers assigned him to the NBA G League team, Canton Charge in December 2017.
- He was recalled back to the Trail Blazers in February 2018.
- The Trail Blazers assigned him to the G League team, Texas Legends in December 2018.
- He was traded to the Sacramento Kings in February 2019.
- The Kings assigned him to the G League team, Stockton Kings in December 2019.
- He was traded back to the Trail Blazers in January 2020.
- Due to personal reasons, he opted out of playing with the Trail Blazers in the 2020 NBA Bubble.
- He ended his NBA career averaging 2.4 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 0.7 assists in 75 games and 4 starts.
Caleb Swanigan National Team Career
- Caleb Swanigan was named to the US U17 basketball team for the 2014 U17 World Championship. He beat 20 players to win the spot on the team.
- Team US went on to win the championship in Dubai where he averaged 8.0 points and 5.7 rebounds.
- He was named to the USA's U19 Basketball Team for the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship.
- Team USA won the gold medal where Swanigan averaged 6.1 points and 4.4 rebounds. He had played in the Nike Hoop Summit, the McDonald's All-American Game, and the Jordan Brand Classic to prepare for the championship.
Who is Caleb Swanigan Wife?
There isn't any information about Caleb Swanigan's personal life. He was not married.
What is Caleb Swanigan Height?
Caleb Swanigan stood at the height of 2.06 m i.e. 6 feet and 9 inches tall. He had a body weight of 260 lbs i.e. 118 kg. He had an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black.
His sexual orientation is straight.
How Did Caleb Swanigan Die?
Caleb Swanigan died at the age of 25 in Fort Wayne, Indiana on 20 June 2022. His cause of death is reported as natural causes. His death was announced on 21 June.
What is Caleb Swanigan Net Worth?
Caleb Swanigan was a former NBA Power forward. An accomplished high school and college star, he was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2017 NBA Draft. Alongside his NBA career, he also played in G League. He left NBA in 2020. He earned from his professional basketball career. His net worth is estimated at $1 million.
Trivias About Caleb Swanigan You Need To Know.
- By age 13, he attended 13 different schools.
- He wore number 44 at Homestead High School, the same number as Barnes.
- He graduated from Homestead in three years instead of the usual four and scored a 3.1 GPA.
- He received scholarship offers from Arizona, Kentucky, Cal, and Duke before committing to Michigan State.
- He had originally committed to Michigan State University but later decommitted.
- He became Purdue's first Indiana's Mr. Basketball recruit since Glenn Robinson in 1991.
- He was the first McDonald's All-American for Purdue since 1996.
- He wore number 50 at Purdue to honor his father who died at age 50.
- He was a top-four finalist for the Naismith Award.
- He was an Academic All-American for maintaining a 3.3 GPA.
- He was the first Purdue basketball player to be drafted at the sophomore level or lower.
- He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor drug possession charge in 2021.