Cary Elwes - Bio, Age, Net Worth, Married, Wife, Family, Career, TV Shows, Books, Award, Salary, Height, Facts, Wiki, Birthday, Education, Nationality
Cary Elwes is one of the most renowned actor in the world. He is a versatile actor and has appeared in movies of almost all genres. He is best known for his leading film roles as Westley in The Princess Bride (1987), Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993), and Dr. Lawrence Gordon in the Saw film series. Besides this, he is also better known for his leading roles in films like Glory (1989), Hot Shots! (1991), and The Jungle Book (1994), as well as supporting roles in films including Days of Thunder (1990), Twister (1996), Kiss the Girls (1997), Liar Liar (1997), Michael Collins in From the Earth to the Moon (1998), Cradle Will Rock (1999), Shadow of the Vampire (2000), The Cat's Meow (2001), Ella Enchanted (2004), A Christmas Carol (2009), and No Strings Attached (2011). His memoir entitled "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales" from the Making of The Princess Bride was also published in October 2014 which debuted on The New York Times Best Seller list.
"The Princess Bride" had a prescient line about mask-wearing
"The Princess Bride" got something right. "It's just that masks are terribly comfortable-I think everyone will be wearing them in the future," said Westley, presciently. When the CNN anchor Ana Cabrera on Saturday brought up that line to actor Cary Elwes, who played Westley, and director Rob Reiner, they were amazed. "Bill Goldman-way ahead of his time," Elwes noted, referring to the scriptwriter and author of the book on which the movie was based. He in July tweeted his support for mask-wearing by referencing Inigo Montoya's famous line: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He said he tweeted that message because he felt it was important to cut through the politics that have emerged about wearing masks. "Every time I tweet a line from 'Princess Bride' it gets a lot of awareness," Elwes said. "Because Rob [Reiner] gave me the blessing of this role that happened to be a character that wears a mask, I took it upon myself to try and use that celebrity of that character to encourage people to wear a mask."
- Being an English actor as well as a writer.
- For his acting roles in films like The Princess Bride (1987), Glory (1989), Days of Thunder (1990), Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992), Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993), The Jungle Book (1994), Twister (1996), Liar, Liar (1997), and Saw (2004).
What is the Birthplace of Cary Elwes?
Cary Elwes was born on 26th October 1962 with the birth name/full name of Ivan Simon Cary Elwes in Westminster, London, England. His nationality is English and his ethnicity is English-White. His race is White. As of 2019, he celebrated his 57th birthday. He was born as the youngest of three sons of portrait painter Dominic Elwes and interior designer and socialite Tessa Kennedy. Additionally, he is the brother of artist Damian Elwes and Cassian Elwes. At present, he is residing in Los Angeles, California. Scorpio is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Roman Catholic. About his education, he completed his schooling from Harrow School in London and then attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. In 1981, he moved out of London and studied acting, philosophy, and history at Sarah Lawrence College in New York. He left the course after 2 years as he wanted to pursue his film career as soon as possible. While in New York, he attended the Actors Studio as well as the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute.
How was the Career of Cary Elwes?
- Cary made his film debut by playing his role in "Another Country". It was in the year 1984.
- After that, he played in another film named "Lady Jane", "The Princess Bride", "Glory" (1989), "Hot Shots!" (1991), "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" (1993), "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "The Crush", "The Jungle Book" (1994), "Twister", "Liar Liar", and "Kiss the Girls".
- He next appeared in "Cradle Will Rock" in 1999, "Shadow of the Vampire", "The Cat's Meow" (2001), "Saw" (2004), "Factory Girl" (2006), "Georgia Rule" (2007), "Saw 3D" (2010), "No Strings Attached" (2011), "The Citizen" (2012), "Behaving Badly", "Reach Me" (2014).
- He completed four movies: the ensemble drama "Sugar Mountain" directed by Richard Gray; and the dramas "H8RZ", directed by Derrick Borte, "We Don't Belong Here" in the year 2015.
- After that, he portrayed Andy Warhol opposite Kevin Spacey in "The Billionaire Boys Club" directed by James Cox in Januar 2016.
- Similarly, he is also active in Television Shows. He made his debut TV show in the year 1996 as David Lookner on "Seinfeld".
- In 1998, he played astronaut Michael Collins in the Golden Globe Award-winning HBO miniseries "From the Earth To the Moon".
- Later, he was nominated for a Golden Satellite Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for his portrayal of Colonel James Burton in "The Pentagon Wars" directed by Richard Benjamin.
- He also guest-starred as Dr. John York in an episode of the television series "The Outer Limits".
- He then appeared in another TV miniseries "Uprising".
- He also had a recurring role in the final season (from 2001 to 2002) of Chris Carter's hit series "The X-Files" as FBI Assistant Director Brad Follmer.
- He portrayed serial killer Ted Bundy in the A&E Network film "The Riverman" in the year 2004.
- He then played the young Karol Wojtyla in the CBS television film "Pope John Paul II".
- He made a guest appearance on the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode "Dependent" like a Mafia lawyer in the year 2007.
- After two years, he played the role of Pierre Despereaux in the TV series "Psych". Also, he returned to Psych in 2010, reprising his role in the second half of the fifth season, again in the show's sixth season, and again in the show's eighth season premiere.
- He played Hugh Ashmeade, Director of the CIA, in the second season of the BYUtv series "Granite Flats" in the year 2014.
- Not only this, but he was also cast as a series regular in Crackle's first streaming network series drama, "The Art of More" in May 2015.
- He was cast as Larry Kline, Mayor of Hawkins, for the third season of the Netflix series "Stranger Things" in April 2018.
- It was announced that he would be joining the third season of the Amazon series "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" as Gavin Hawk in May 2019.
- Not only, he has acted in movies and TV shows, he has also done voice-over work includes the narrator in James Patterson's audiobook The Jester, as well as characters in film and television animations such as Quest for Camelot, Pinky, and The Brain, Batman Beyond, and the English versions of the Studio Ghibli films, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns.
- He served as screenwriter, improviser, and voice actor of the main character The Bard for the 2004 video game "The Bard's Tale".
- He also reunited with Jason Alexander for the Indian film, "Delhi Safari" in the year 2009.
- He portrayed the part of Gremlin Gus in Disney's video game, "Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two".
- He appeared in "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" as the voice of scientists Edmond Halley and Robert Hooke.
- He joined the cast of Robert Zemeckis's motion-capture adaptation of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".
- He was chosen by Steven Spielberg to appear in his motion-capture adaptation of Belgian artist Herge's popular comic strip "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn".
- He portrayed Kerry Max Cook in the off-Broadway play The Exonerated in New York, directed by Bob Balaban (18-23 March 2003) in 2003.
- In October 2014 Touchstone (Simon & Schuster) published his memoir of the making of The Princess Bride, entitled "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales" from the Making of The Princess Bride, which Elwes co-wrote with Joe Layden. The book debuted on The New York Times Best Seller list.
- He also co-wrote the screenplay for a film entitled "Elvis & Nixon" in the year 2014.
- Back in 2005, he filed a lawsuit against Evolution Entertainment, his management firm, and producer of "Saw". Later, the case was settled out of court.
- His next appearance in movies will be in "Best Sellers", "The Gettysburg Address", "Shrine" whereas his recent TV shows include "Katy Keene" and "Home Movie: The Princess Bride".
Awards and Achievements of Cary Elwes
Cary Elwes is a successful actor who hаѕ bееn nоmіnаtеd fоr ѕеvеrаl аwаrdѕ, іnсludіng thе 2013 ВТVА Vіdео Gаmе Vоісе Асtіng Аwаrd іn thе саtеgоrу оf Веѕt Vосаl Еnѕеmblе іn а Vіdео Gаmе, Blockbuster Entertainment Awards in the Favorite Supporting Actor-Suspense category, MTV Award for Best Frightened Performance, NAVGTR Awards, PAGE International Screenwriting Awards, Satellite Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and more.
Who is Cary Elwes married to?
Cary Elwes is a married man. He was married to his beautiful wife, Lisa Marie Kurbikoff whom he met in the year 1991 at a chili cook-off in Malibu, California. By profession, Cary is a photographer. The duo became engaged in the year 1997 and married in the year 2000. The duo is also blessed with a daughter together named Dominique Elwes. As of now, the couple is enjoying their life a lot without any kind of disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
He is also involved with many charitable organizations and is currently the ambassador for the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund with UNICEF.
How much is Cary Elwes's Net Worth 2020?
Cary Elwes is a very successful actor who has accumulated a huge amount of money from his acting work. As of 2020, the net worth of Cary Elwes is estimated to have $10 Million as per sources. His major income/salary comes from his hit movies and TV shows. Without a doubt, his salary will be surely in the millions but he has not mentioned anything about his salary details. Besides this, he has been featured in a commercial for Culligan Water in 2018 for the ad titled You Could Give Your People Culligan Water.
How tall is Cary Elwes?
With an athletic body build, Cary Elwes stands tall at the height of 5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm. His balanced bodyweight consists of 74 Kg or 163 lbs. His hair color is blonde and he has got a pair of blue eyes. He has wavy hair with a dimpled smile. He has a strong jawline with a clean-shaven look. Overall, he has got a healthy body.
Trivias About Cary Elwes You Need To Know.
- In 2001, he received another Golden Satellite Award nomination for his portrayal of Dr. Fritz Hippler in the TV movie Uprising.
- He performed the narration in the audiobook of James Patterson’s 2003 novel, The Jester.
- In 2012, Cary did the voice-over for the character Gremlin Gus in the Disney video game, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two.
- He has made cameo appearances in movies produced by his brother, Cassian Elwes such as The Chase (1994) and Never on Tuesday (1989).
- He has worked with the humanitarian organization, Amazon Watch that aims to conserve and protect indigenous communities and cultures in South America.