Facts About Charles Martin
|Celebrated Name||Charles Martin|
|Age||37 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Prince Charles|
|Birth Name||Charles Lee Martin|
|Place Of Birth||St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.|
|Source of Wealth||Boxing career|
|Net Worth||$6.5 million|
|Salary||$433,000 per year|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
Charles Lee Martin, professionally known as Charles Martin is an American professional boxer who held the IBF heavyweight title from January to April 2016. He suffered his first defeat to Anthony Joshua after going 23-0-1 in his previous 24 fights. He won 21 of those fights by knockout. He was 22 years old when he started boxing and participated in 63 amateur fights and he has won the 2012 National PAL Championships. Martin's reign as IBF heavyweight champion lasted just 85 days, the second shortest in professional boxing history. His 85-day reign as champion is the second-shortest in heavyweight boxing history, after Tony Tucker's 64 days in 1987. Charles is also active in social media as he has gained more than 3.5K followers on his Instagram account.
Charles Martin is knocked out by Luis Ortiz knocks
Charles Martin is knocked out by Luis Ortiz knocks in a back-and-forth heavyweight battle on Saturday in Florida. The veteran Cuban launched an overhand left in the sixth round which badly hurt Martin and caused his demise. The earliest exchanges had all gone the way of Martin, who had sent Ortiz tumbling to the canvas twice. A sneaky right hand from Martin, the former IBF champion whose loss to Anthony Joshua in 2016 means he has the second-shortest heavyweight title reign in history, shocked and floored Ortiz in the first round.
The battle of southpaw jabs was being won by Martin who, in the fourth round, timed a shot that knocked Ortiz over again. But Ortiz exploded into life in the sixth round when his powerful left hand cracked Martin flush in the face. A series of follow-up shots from Ortiz crumpled Martin down - as he fell, his glove became twisted in the ropes and required the referee to untangle him. The 42-year-old Ortiz delivered a reminder that he remains a threat to the upper echelons of the heavyweight division.
- Being an American professional boxer.
- For winning the 2012 National PAL Championships.
What is Charles Martin Nationality?
Charles Martin was born on 24th April 1986 with the real name of Charles Lee Martin in St. Louis, Missouri, the U.S. He holds American nationality and he belongs to African-American ethnicity. Similarly, his religion is Christian and his race is black. Martin's present age is 35 which he celebrated back in the April of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign is Taurus. Martin has not shared any details regarding his parents.
What does Charles Martin do for a living?
- Charles Martin kicks off his career at the age of 22 as he had 64 fights as an amateur and has won the National PAL Championships in 2012.
- He then turned professional on 27th October 2012 and he made his TV debut on ESPN on 19th July 2013, when he beat Aaron Kinch by a fourth-round TKO.
- He beat then-undefeated Vincent Thompson (13-0) on 21st September whereas the fight was in Thompson's home state Washington and Martin got a unanimous decision. He dropped Thompson in the first round, for the first time in his career.
- On 14th November, he became the first man to ever stop Joey Dawejko., He fought 11 times in 2013. and on 21st December, he won against undefeated Cuban heavyweight Glendy Hernandez (10-0).
- As well, he won the vacant WBO-NABO heavyweight title by beating former undefeated boxer Alexander Flores by KO in the 4th round on 16th April 2014.
- He successfully defended the title for the first time at BB King Blues Club & Grill in New York against 37-year-old veteran Kertson Manswell in July 2014.
- He entered the bout with a seven-fight knockout streak and won via the third knockdown rule, knocking Manswell down three times in round 3, forcing the stoppage.
- He made a defense of the title on 28th February 2015 against former Brazilian heavyweight champion Raphael Zumbano Love (35-9-1, 28 KOs) at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, Arizona, and won via TKO in the 10th and final round with a minute remaining.
- He made his fourth and final defense of his WBO–NABO title on 25th September at the Legacy Arena in Birmingham, Alabama against Mexican WBO Latino heavyweight champion Vicente Sandez (15-4, 10 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round fight.
- Later Martin narrowed down a shortlist of boxers he could make his first defense against after winning the IBF title and he chose to make the first defense of his title against rising British star and 2012 Olympic gold medalist Anthony Joshua at The O2 Arena in London on 9th April 2016.
- His reign as IBF heavyweight champion was the second-shortest in professional boxing history at just 85 days, with only Tony Tucker's 1987 reign being shorter.
- Showtime announced in July 2018 that it was planning an event to take place on 8th September headlined by Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter for the vacant WBC welterweight title. It was rumored that Charles would challenge Polish rising contender Adam Kownacki (17-0, 14 KO) on the undercard.
- According to CompuBox stats, Charles landed 203 punches of 621 thrown (33%) and Kownacki landed 242 of his 729 landed (33%). The fight, which opened Showtime's telecast, averaged 395,000 viewers and peaked at 503,000 viewers.
- He faced Gregory Corbin. Corbin was no match for Martin on 16th March 2017, as Martin dominated each round whereas Corbin continued his antics in the fifth and sixth round, and by the eighth round the referee had seen enough and disqualified Corbin, awarding Martin with the victory.
- Charles also faced Daniel Martz. Martin dominated the fight, as he dropped Martz twice on 13th July 2019, once in the third and once in the fourth round, the latter proving to be the decisive one.
- Martin, ranked #11 by the IBF faced fellow contender Gerald Washington on 22nd February 2020, ranked #9 by the IBF on the Deontay Wilder - Tyson Fury undercard.
Is Charles Martin Married?
Charles Martin is an unmarried boxer. He is very much private about his private life however, we know that he is the proud father of four children. Martin had his first child at a very early age. He has not shared the word about the biological mother of the child. The boxer has three other children from other women. Reflecting on his sexual orientation, he is straight.
How much is Charles Martin Net Worth?
Charles Martin is a versatile boxer who has a net worth of $6.5 million as of 2022. He took home prize money of $30,000 from his fight against Alexander Flores. His salary increased to $50,000 in the next two matches. Martin took home a salary of $350,000 from his match against $350,000. Charles earned $433,000 and 60% as his PPV Split Bonus from the match against Vyacheslav Glazkov. In addition, his major source of income is from his boxing career.
What is the Height of Charles Martin?
Charles Martin stands at a tall height of 6 ft 5 in (196 cm) with a balanced bodyweight of 115.91 kg. He has good-looking black hair and dark brown eyes color. Enriched with the toned bicep and perfect built, Charles doesn't hesitate to go shirtless. Moreover, his body build type is athletic.
Trivias About Charles Martin You Need To Know.
- He was 22 years old when he started boxing and participated in 63 amateur fights. He won the 2012 National PAL Championships.
- His reign as IBF heavyweight champion lasted just 85 days, the second shortest in professional boxing history.
- Only Tony Tucker held the IBF heavyweight champion title for a shorter time than Charles.
- He has four children.
- Martin started doing construction work from the age of 14 and had his first son at a young age.