Last updated on August 20th, 2023 at 01:13 am
Facts About Chris Rock
|Celebrated Name||Chris Rock|
|Age||58 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Christopher Julius Rock lll|
|Place Of Birth||Andrews, South Carolina, United States|
|Father||Christopher Julius Rock Jr|
|Siblings||Tony, Kenny and Jordan|
|Education||James Madison High School|
|Debut Television Show/Series||Miami Vice 1987)|
|Debut Movie||Beverly Hills Cop II|
|Debut Music Video||"Your Mother's Got a Big Head"|
|Married Date||23 November 1996|
|Wife||Malaak Compton (1996-2016)|
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Height||5 feet 10 inches|
|Children||Lola Simone Rock, Zahra Savannah Rock|
|Chest Size||38 inches|
|Bicep Size||13 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Source of Wealth||Working in the entertainment industry|
|Net Worth||$60 Million|
|Famous For||Major films such as Down to Earth, Head of State, The Longest Yard, the Madagascar film series, Grown Ups series, Top Five, among others|
Christopher Julius Rock III popularly known as Chris Rock is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director. He started his career as a stand-up comedian. He rose to prominence after becoming a cast member of Saturday Night Live in the early 1990s. His major films are Down to Earth, Head of State, The Longest Yard, the Madagascar film series, Grown Ups series, Top Five, among others. He has also appeared in numerous television series. In 2020, he starred in the fourth season of the FX black comedy–crime drama anthology series Fargo. He has won 4 Emmy Awards and 3 Grammy Awards. He was voted the fifth-greatest stand-up comedian in a poll conducted by Comedy Central and was voted the 9th greatest stand-up comic on Channel 4's 100 Greatest Stand-Ups in 2007 in the United Kingdom and again in the updated 2010 list as the 8th greatest stand-up comic. Rock hosted the Academy Awards twice, in 2005 and in 2016, and has won four Emmy Awards and three Grammy Awards. He released his first comedy album, "Born Suspect" in 1991. In 1985, he made his theatrical film debut in the music drama movie, "Krush Groove." However, his work in the movie wasn’t credited. His first credited film role was in the Eddie Murphy-starrer action comedy film, "Beverly Hills Cop II", which was released in 1987. In 1987, Chris made his first TV show appearance in the comedy special, "Uptown Comedy Express". He has over 3.3 million followers on his Instagram.
What is Chris Rock Famous For?
- Being a cast member of Saturday Night Live in the early 1990s.
- For his major films such as Down to Earth, Head of State, The Longest Yard, the Madagascar film series, Grown Ups series, Top Five, among others.
Where is Chris Rock's ethnicity?
Chris Rock was born on 7th February 1965. His birth name is Christopher Julius Rock III. He was born to his father, Christopher Julius Rock Jr., and his mother Rosalie Rock. He belongs to mixed ethnicity. He is of Cameroonian descent from the Udeme people of northern Cameroon. His race is Black. He is from is in Andrews, South Carolina in the United States. He holds American nationality. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He has 3 younger brothers, Tony, Kenny, and Jordan. He had an older half-brother, Charles, who died in 2006. His parents moved to the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York shortly after his birth. They later relocated and settled in the working-class area of Bedford-Stuyvesant. He celebrated his 57th birthday as of 2022.
Chris was bused to schools as he endured bullying and beatings from white students. He attended James Madison High School. His parents pulled him from high school when the bullying became worse as he got older. He dropped out of high school. He later earned a GED. He started working menial jobs at various fast-food restaurants.
Standup Comedy and Television Career
- In 1984, Rock started performing stand-up comedy in New York City's Catch a Rising Star.
- He made his television debut in an episode of Miami Vice in 1987.
- He started getting minor roles in films and television series.
- He became the cast member of the popular sketch comedy series, Saturday Night Live in 1990.
- He and other new cast members Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, and David Spade became known as the Bad Boys of SNL.
- His tenure on SNL gave him national exposure.
- He released his first comedy album, Born Suspect in 1991.
- He was planning to leave SNL after the 1992-93 season but was effectively fired from the show.
- He then appeared in numerous comedy sketches, television series, In Living Color, HBO Comedy Half-Hour, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Martin, Homicide: Life on the Street, among others.
- His comedy special Bring the Pain in 1996 made him one of the most acclaimed and commercially successful comedians in the industry winning 2 Emmy Awards.
- His popularity expanded after playing a role as a commentator for Comedy Central's Politically Incorrect during the 1996 Presidential elections.
- His show, The Chris Rock Show also garnered him popularity and success at the same time. He interviewed celebrities and politicians on his show. He won Emmy for writing the show.
- He translated his comedy into print form in the book Rock This!.
- He was the narrator and the executive producer of the UPN television network comedy series, Everybody Hates Chris. The series is based on Rock's school days. The show garnered him both critical and rating success as well as several major nominations.
- He released comedy album, Roll with the New. The album earned him Grammy Award.
- Netflix announced in October 2016 that they would be releasing two new stand-up comedy specials from Rock. Rock was paid $40 million per special. The first special, Chris Rock: Tamborine, was released on Netflix on February 14, 2018.
- He has hosted the 1997, 1999, and 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, 77th, and 88th Academy Awards, and 2014 BET Awards.
- He presented the award for Best Documentary Feature at the 94th Academy Awards in March 2022. During the ceremony, he joked about Jada Pinkett Smith's bald head, which he compared to Demi Moore's shaved head in G.I. Jane. Pinkett Smith's baldness is caused by alopecia. Her husband, Will Smith, walked onto the stage and slapped Rock across the face, then walked back to his seat and yelled at Rock twice, "Keep my wife's name out your fucking mouth!" While accepting the Best Actor award for King Richard, Smith apologized to the Academy and the other nominees, but not to Rock.
- He declined to file a report with the Los Angeles Police Department regarding the incident. After a day of the incident, Smith apologized to Rock through social media and stated that he was "out of line" and that his behavior was "unacceptable and inexcusable."
Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage
Will Smith slapped Chris Rock in the face on stage at the Oscars after the comic made a joke about the actor's wife Jada Pinkett Smith. "Jada, can't wait for GI Jane 2," he said, in an apparent reference to her shaved hairdo - a result of the hair loss condition alopecia. Smith walked on stage and struck Rock before returning to his seat and shouting: "Keep my wife's name out of your [expletive] mouth." He later apologized to the Academy. In a tearful acceptance speech for best actor, he also said he wanted to apologize to all his fellow nominees. There was no specific apology for Rock. Smith picked up the first Oscar of his career for playing the father of tennis legends Venus and Serena Williams in King Richard.
- Eddie Murphy saw his act at a nightclub and mentored him. Murphy gave Rock his first film role in Beverly Hills Cop II. It was his debut movie.
- Previously, he had an uncredited minor role in the 1985 film, Krush Groove.
- He had some supporting roles in films, Dogma, Beverly Hills Ninja, Lethal Weapon 4, and Nurse Betty.
- His major films are The Longest Yard, Bad Company, Down to Earth, the Grown Ups series, the Madagascar series, Down to Earth, Head of State, Top Five, Death at a Funeral, 2 Days in New York, What to Expect When You're Expecting, 2 Days in Paris (2007), Top Five, among others.
- He had voice roles in the popular Madagascar film franchise.
- He is the writer and director of Head of State and I Think I Love My Life. He also played the lead role in both films.
- He released his first documentary, Good Hair in 2009.
- He is working on a documentary about debt called, Credit Is the Devil.
- In the year 2015, he appeared as himself in Sofia Coppola's Christmas musical special, A Very Murray Christmas starring Bill Murray.
- He also appeared as himself in another Netflix film, "Sandy Wexler" (2017) starring Adam Sandler.
- After a year, he starred in the Netflix comedy "The Week Of".
- In 2020, he briefly appeared in the comedy film "Dolemite Is My Name" (2019) starring Eddie Murphy.
- In 2021, he starred in a reboot of the Saw franchise, "Spiral" (2021), which dabbled into the territory of the horror film genre.
- His first music video was for his song "Your Mother's Got a Big Head" from his album, Born Suspect.
- He has also made videos for his songs, "Champagne", and "No Sex (In the Champagne Room)".
- He directed and appeared in the music video for the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Hump de Bump".
- He has appeared in the music video "Smooth Operator" by Big Daddy Kane, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash, and a cameo in "Bitch I'm Madonna" by Madonna.
- He appeared on Broadway in Stephen Adly Guirgis' play The Motherfucker with the Hat in 2011. He was nominated for a Drama League Award.
Awards and Achievements
Chris Rock is an award-winning stand-up comedian, actor, writer, producer, and film director. His awards include:
- 2017 - Writers Guild Awards-Comedy/Variety - Music, Awards, Tributes - Specials: Nominated
- 2016 - Emmy-Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special: Nominated
- 2016 - Emmy-Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominated
- 2015 - Critics' Choice Movie Awards-Best Actor in a Comedy: Nominated
- 2015 - Directors Guild of America Awards-Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Variety/Talk/News/Sports - Specials: Nominated
- 2014 - National Board of Review-Spotlight Award: Winner
- 2010 - Writers Guild Awards-Documentary Screenplay: Nominated
- 2009 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Special: Winner
- 2009 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Nominated
- 2004 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Nominated
- 2004 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Program: Nominated
- 2001 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Program: Nominated
- 2001 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series: Nominated
- 2000 - Emmy-Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominated
- 2000 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Program: Nominated
- 2000 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Nominated
- 2000 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series: Nominated
- 1999 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Winner
- 1999 - Emmy-Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominated
- 1998 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominated
- 1997 - Emmy-Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominated
- 1997 - Emmy-Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Winner
Who is Chris Rock Dating?
Chris Rock was a divorced man previously whereas he is currently in a relationship. He is dating his beautiful girlfriend, Carmen Ejogo. Carmen is an actor and singer by profession. Some of Carmen's film credits include Love’s Labour’s Lost, What’s the Worst That Could Happen?, Away We Go, Sparkle, and Alex Cross. The duo was recently seen together having lunch in Malibu, California. They were also spotted at dinner in New York in September 2019, not too long after his split from Echikunwoke. Today, the couple is living a happy life without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Previously, he was married to Malaak Compton. They got married on 23rd November 1996. They lived in Alpine, New Jersey. The couple shares two daughters together. They are Lola Simone born in 2002 and Zahra Savannah born in 2004. Rock announced in December 2014 that he had filed for divorce. Their divorce was finalized in August 2016. He struggled with a porn addiction.
After then, he dated actress Megalyn Echikunwoke in 2016. The couple split after four years of their togetherness.
Chris Rock lives in New York City, New York.
What is Chris Rock's Net Worth?
Chris Rock is one of the most successful comedians in the world. Comedy is his main source of income. He has appeared in several films, television shows, and comedy sketches. Netflix paid him $40 million per comedy special out of two comedy specials from Rock. Working in the entertainment industry is his main source of income. As of 2022, his net worth is estimated to have $60 Million as per sources. He is making an annual salary of around $5 Million at present. Today, he is living a lavish lifestyle from his career earnings. He acquires 12 homes, 8 cars, and three luxury yachts. He has a cash reserve of above $20 Million in his assets. He has a $20 Million investment portfolio of more than 10 stocks. He is also fond of cars. His car collection included Rolls Royce Phantom, Bugatti Veyron, Tesla Model X, Volvo XC90, and more.
How tall is Chris Rock Height?
Chris Rock stands at a height of 1.78 m i.e. 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 168 lbs. He has a slim body build. He has a chest size of 38 inches, biceps of size 13 inches, and a waist size of 32 inches. He has dark brown eyes and his hair color is black.
Trivias About Chris Rock You Need To Know.
- His father was a truck driver and newspaper deliveryman, whereas his mother was a teacher and social worker for the mentally handicapped.
- His father died after ulcer surgery in 1988.
- His younger brothers are also in the entertainment business.
- He has said he was influenced by the performing style of his paternal grandfather, Allen Rock.
- His comedy influences are Bill Cosby, Dick Gregory, Flip Wilson, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Redd Foxx, Pigmeat Markham, Woody Allen, Eddie Murphy, Sam Kinison, George Carlin, Mort Sahl, and Rodney Dangerfield.
- His family history was profiled on the PBS series, African American Lives 2 in 2008.
- His great great grandfather, Julius Caesar Tingman was a slave for 21 years before serving in the American Civil War as part of the United States Colored Troops.
- Time and Entertainment weekly named him "the funniest man in America".
- Christian Finnegan, Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, Kevin Hart, and Trevor Noah has named Rock as their comedy influences.
- He is vocal critic of racial profiling.