Clay Matthews III - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Awards, Salary, Contract, Position, Family, Parents, Nationality, Height, Facts, Teams Played, Wiki
Clay Matthews III is an American football outside linebacker who is currently a free agent. Previously, he has played for Green Bay Packers and Los Angeles Rams. He was considered a top prospect for the 2009 NFL Draft. He was ultimately selected by the Green Bay Packers in the first round of the draft (26th overall) after the team traded up to make the selection. On 19th March 2019, he signed a two-year contract with the Los Angeles Rams and was released on 19th March 2020. He did not play during the 2020 season for any team. He was a walk-on student-athlete at the University of Southern California for the USC Trojans football team under head coach Pete Carroll. During his college career, he was a part of three Pac-10 Championship teams.
Aaron Rodgers, others plead with Packers to sign Clay Matthews
Clay Matthews III has a supporter in Aaron Rodgers. And Randall Cobb. And David Bakhtiari and other members of the Green Bay Packers. He is a free-agent linebacker. Rodgers is the star quarterback (for now), and Cobb a receiver and Bakhtiari a left tackle. All three posted to social media that they want Matthews back in the fold. "BRING HIM BACK," Rodgers posted on Twitter. Matthews played for the Packers from 2009-18, turning into one of the most productive outside linebackers in team history. He made six pro bowls (2009-12, 2014, 2015) while with Green Bay. He was a fan favorite. He last appeared in the NFL in 2019 with the Los Angeles Rams, playing 13 games and recording eight sacks and 10 solo tackles. At 35-years old, his best days are clearly behind him. If the Packers can get him to come cheap, then they undoubtedly will consider the rallying cry of Rodgers and others.
What is Clay Matthews III known for?
- Being an NFL footballer best at the outside linebacker position.
- Playing the team, Green Bay Packers (2009-2018) and Los Angeles Rams (2019).
Who are the Parents of Clay Matthews III?
Clay Matthews III was born on 14th May 1986 in Los Angeles, California, the USA. His birth name is William Clay Matthews III. He was born to his parents; his mother, Leslie, and his father, Clay Matthews Jr. Both his father Clay Matthews Jr., and grandfather Clay Matthews Sr. were renowned football players. He also has a brother, brother namely Casey Matthews who is a well-known footballer linebacker. His cousins Kevin Matthews, Jake Matthews, and Mike Matthews are also involved with the sport. By nationality, he is American and his ethnicity is American-White. His race is White. Taurus is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian.
Regarding his education, Clay Matthews III attended Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California. There he played for the Agoura Chargers high school football team. After finishing high school, he attended the University of California, where he played for the Trojans Football Team.
Clay Matthews III Career Timeline
- Clay Matthews III attended the University of Southern California and played for the Trojans from 2004 to 2008 under head coach Pete Carroll.
- The Packers used the first-round pick obtained from the Patriots to acquire Matthews with the 26th overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft.
- On 5th October 2009, he scored his first career touchdown during a Monday Night Football against the Minnesota Vikings.
- He had arguably the best game in his young career in Week 13 when he was awarded the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
- He recorded 51 tackles, 10 sacks, seven pass deflections, three fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble in his rookie season.
- He was named NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year and set the Packer record for most sacks in a season by a rookie, with 10.0.
- He finished the season with 60 tackles, 13.5 sacks (fourth in the league), four pass deflections, two forced fumbles, and an interception through 15 games in 2010 and he finished the 2011 season with 50 tackles, and a career-low six sacks despite playing 15 of the 16 games.
- He was named to the 2011 Pro Bowl NFC roster for the second straight year and was named to the All-Pro team for the first time in his career.
- He recorded a career-high 55.0 quarterback pressures. He was also named SN-NFL Defensive Player of the Year and NFC Defensive Player of the Year and won the Butkus Award.
- He was put at the LOLB position, and Matthews was moved back to the ROLB position he played at in his rookie year.
- Prior to the 2012 season, Sporting News ranked him as the second-best outside linebacker in the league, only behind Cowboys' star DeMarcus Ware.
- He started out the season with a bang as he recorded 2.5 sacks in the 30–22 season opener loss to the eventual NFC champion San Francisco 49ers and then posted a career-high 3.5 sacks against the Chicago Bears on Thursday night.
- He finished the 2012 season with 43 tackles, 13.0 sacks (fifth in the league), two passes defended, and a forced fumble.
- In the off-season, he became the highest-paid linebacker in NFL history when the Packers and he made a deal worth $66 million over the next five seasons.
- He played only 11 games during the 2013 season as he recorded 41 tackles (26 solos), a team-high 7.5 sacks, and three forced fumbles.
- During the Packers' Week 5 matchup with the Detroit Lions on October 6, 2013, he broke his right thumb and missed the next four games.
- He finished the 2014 season with 11 sacks, 9 passes defended, one interception (his first since 2011), and two forced fumbles. For the first time in his NFL career, Matthews started every game during the regular season.
- In his 2015 season, he helped lead his team to the NFC Divisional Round playoff game against the Arizona Cardinals, a game that it lost 26–20 in overtime.
- He was ranked 57th on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.
- He was among the athletes indicated in The Dark Side: Secrets of the Sports Dopers, an Al Jazeera documentary on illegal performance-enhancing drug use.
- He also appeared on Wisconsin's Afternoon News with John Mercure on Newsradio 620 WTMJ to discuss football.
- He appeared in 12 games and started nine during his 2016 season where he recorded 24 tackles, of which 20 were solo, five sacks, and one forced fumble.
- In addition, he was ranked 82nd by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017.
- On 28th September 2017, during the Week 4 game against the Chicago Bears, he became the Packers' all-time sacks leader when he sacked the Bears' quarterback Mike Glennon.
- During Week 2 in 2018 against the Minnesota Vikings, he was called for a controversial roughing the passer penalty that nullified an interception with 1:37 left in the fourth quarter. The game ended in a 29–29 tie.
- He became an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season.
- He signed a two-year contract with the Los Angeles Rams on 19th March 2019 and made his debut with the Rams in Week 1 against the Carolina Panthers, making three tackles and sacking Cam Newton once as the Rams won 30–27.
- In Week 5, after the Rams' 30–29 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, it was announced that Matthews suffered a broken jaw and would undergo surgery which ended up missing three games, finishing the season with 13 starts.
- On 19th March 2020, he was released by the Rams and he did not play during the 2020 season for any team.
Awards and Achievements
- Super Bowl champion (XLV)
- 6× Pro Bowl (2009-2012, 2014, 2015)
- First-team All-Pro (2010)
- Second-team All-Pro (2012)
- PFWA NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2010)
- Butkus Award (2010)
- 3× Pac-10 champion (2006–2008)
Who is Clay Matthews III married to?
Clay Matthews III is a married man. He married his beautiful wife, Casey Noble-Matthews. The couple shared three children together. As of today, clay and Casey is living a happy life with their kids without any disturbances. They both are supportive of each other in ups and downs. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
What is Clay Matthews III Net Worth?
Clay Matthews III is a well-recognized NFL footballer whose net worth is estimated to have $40 Million as of 2021. In the off-season in 2012, he became the highest-paid linebacker in NFL history when the Packers and he made a deal worth $66 million over the next five seasons. He signed a 2 year, $9,250,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,625,000. In the year 2019, he earned a base salary of $3,000,000 and a roster bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $3,500,000 and a dead cap value of $3,500,000. Currently, he is a free agent. Thus, his exact salary at present is unavailable at a moment. His main source of wealth comes from his football career and he is living a standard lifestyle as of today.
How tall is Clay Matthews III and his weight?
Clay Matthews III is a very handsome man with a tall height of 6 ft 3 in or 1.91 m. He has a bodyweight of 116 Kg or 255 lbs. His body type is average and he maintains his body a lot. His hair color is blonde and he has a pair of blue eyes. His other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, and more are still to get unfold yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body at present.
Trivias About Clay Matthews III You Need To Know.
- Clay Matthews III is an American football outside linebacker.
- Currently, he is a free agent and he has [played for green Bay Packers and Los Angeles Rams previously.
- He was considered a top prospect for the 2009 NFL Draft.
- He was ultimately selected by the Green Bay Packers in the first round of the draft (26th overall) after the team traded up to make the selection.
- Matthews last appeared in the NFL in 2019 with the Los Angeles Rams.