Colin Montgomerie Bio, Net Worth, Married, Wife, Divorce, Dating, PGA Tour, Nationality, Age, Facts, Wiki, Swing, Majors, Career, Height, Children
Colin Montgomerie, OBE is a Scottish golfer who is known for his exceptional Ryder Cup record, with 23.5 points in 36 games. In the European Tour, he has led the Order of Merit eight times and triumphed in 31 tournaments. He has also finished in second place in five majors tournaments. Throughout his career, he was honored with 17 awards in different categories. Currently, He has more than 1.8K followers on his Instagram, 57K followers on his Twitter, and 12.8K followers on his Facebook accounts. To know more about him, you can read the below article to the end.
What is Colin Montgomerie famous for?
- A Scottish professional golfer.
Where is Colin Montgomerie from?
Going back to his early life, Colin was born under the birth sign of Cancer to his parents, James Montgomerie and Elizabeth Montgomerie in the year 1963. His birth name is Colin Stuart Montgomerie and raised along with his brother named Douglas Montgomerie in Glasgow, Scotland. His nationality is Scottish and his ethnicity is White.
Concerning his education, he attended Leeds Grammar School and Strathallan School. After that, he enrolled at Houston Baptist University where he was graduated in business management and law.
What does Colin Montgomerie doing now?
- Talking about his career journey, Colin started playing golf from his college years.
- He won three important Scottish amateur tournaments while in college. They are the 1983 Scottish Youths Championship, the 1985 Scottish Stroke Play Championship, and the 1987 Scottish Amateur Championship.
- He also played for Scotland twice in the Eisenhower Trophy in 1984 and 1986, and for Great Britain and Ireland in the Walker Cup twice in 1985 and 1987.
- In 1998, He was named the Rookie of the Year on the European Tour that season.
- In 1989, He won his first event at the Portuguese Open TPC by 11 shots and making his Ryder Cup debut in 1991.
- He finished first on the European Tour Order of Merit every year from 1993 to 1999 and has 31 victories on the tour, including 1998, 1999, and 2000 Volvo PGA Championships at Wentworth, England.
- From 1993-98, He came first in the Volvo Bonus Pool every year
- In 1994, He reached the top-10 in the Official World Golf Rankings and spent 400 weeks in the top-10.
- Upon his marriage in 1990, His form fell away gradually in the new millennium and his ranking slumped to 82nd in the world.
- He won three consecutive Volvo PGA Championships at Wentworth Club between 1998 and 2000.
- Also, He captained the Great Britain and Ireland team in the first four stagings of the Seve Trophy, losing in 2000 but winning in 2002, 2003, and 2005.
- In 2004, he was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in the New Year's Honours. He represents the Turnberry resort in Scotland, where there is a Colin Montgomerie Golf Academy.
- He came back strongly in 2005 after winning a record eighth European Tour Order of Merit and returning to the top ten in the World Rankings.
- After that, He became the first man to win 20 million Euros on the European Tour and also won for the first time in nearly two years at the Smurfit Kappa European Open in July 2007.
- In 2008, He slipped out of the top 100 players in the world ranking system and as a result, he failed to qualify for Nick Faldo's 2008 Ryder Cup team.
- He was also a columnist for the Scottish golf magazine, Bunkered, between 2008 and 2010.
- In 2009, He played in his milestone 500th European Tour event at the Open de Andalucia where he cut. He remained the leader in career earnings on the European Tour until 2010 when he was surpassed by Ernie Els.
- In 2010, He was granted a super injunction by Mr. Justice Eady, which came to light when he attended a press conference at the 2010 PGA Championship in Wisconsin.
- In 2012, He was named by the Golf Club Managers' Association's Golf Club Management magazine as the seventh most powerful person in British golf.
- The same year, He finished tied for 6th at the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles, his highest finish in over four years.
- In 2013, He joined the Champions Tour, where he made his debut in the Constellation Senior Players Championship, one of the five senior major championships.
- In 2014, He won his first senior major championship at the Senior PGA Championship.
- In 2015, He accepted the captaincy of the London Scottish Golf Club in Wimbledon to mark that club's 150th anniversary.
- The same year, He defended his Senior PGA Championship title to win his third senior major. However, He narrowly missed out on making it three Senior PGA Championships in a row, finishing second and three shots behind winner Rocco Mediate in 2016.
- In 2017, He won twice on the senior circuit, winning the inaugural Japan Airlines Championship before claiming his sixth Champions Tour win at the SAS Championship.
What are the achievements of Colin Montgomerie?
- Colin Montgomerie was honored with several awards throughout his career to date which is listed below:
- European Tour - Order of Merit winner (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2005)
- European Tour - Player of the Year (1995, 1996, 1997, 1999)
- Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year (1988)
- Order of the British Empire (2005)
- World Golf Hall of Fame (2013)
- European Senior Tour - Order of Merit winner (2014, 2015)
Who is Colin Montgomerie married to?
Colin Montgomerie has been married twice to date. Firstly, he was married to his first wife named Eimear Wilson. The couple met in Troon and later started dating each other. After several years of dating, the couple exchanged the vows in 1990. Together, the couple welcomed three children named Olivia, Venetia, and Cameron Montgomerie. However, the couple divorced in 2006 due to his obsession with golf with a divorce settlement of £8 million, in return for Eimear giving up any claim on his future earnings.
After that, He had a romantic relationship with the Spanish model, Ines Sastre. However, the lovebirds also separated which led to his worst run in his professional career. Then, he started an affair with Gaynor Knowles and later engaged in 2007. After a year, The lovebirds exchanged their vows on 19th April 2008 at Loch Lomond Golf Club. However, the couple also divorced in 2017.
He also supports Rangers F.C. and since 1970 Leeds United when he was living in the area.
How much is Colin Montgomerie worth?
Colin Montgomerie has earned the sum of a good amount of money from his profession as a golfer. As per the online sites, his net worth is reported at $55 million as of 2020. However, his salary and assets details are yet to be disclosed. He also earned through his PGA Tours and other tours and championship.
How tall is Colin Montgomerie?
Colin Montgomerie has a height of 6 feet 1 inch and he weighs around 90 Kg. He has a pair of blue eyes and white hair. Further, his body measurements are yet to be disclosed. Additionally, his dress size is 4 (US) and shoe size is 8 (US).
Did You Know?
- He holds the record for most times leading the European Tour money list - eight.
- In eight Ryder Cup singles matches, Montgomerie never lost.
- He is a celebrity supporter of the Orchid Cancer Appeal in the United Kingdom.
- He turned pro in 1987 and has won numerous tournaments in his career.