Facts About Dan Walker
|46 Years Old
|Daniel Meirion Walker
|Journalist , TV Presenter , Author
|Place Of Birth
|Ifield Primary School, Three Bridges Middle School, and Hazelwick Secondary School
|University of Sheffield
|Royal Television Society Sports Award
|Source of Wealth
|Around £295,000 annually
|Susanna, Chuck and Jessica Walker
|Sheffield, South Yorkshire
|6 feet 6 inches
|Twitter Wikipedia Instagram
Dan Walker is a British journalist, newsreader, and TV presenter who is famous and best-known for presenting "Football Focus" from 2009 to 2021, and for presenting "BBC Breakfast" since 2016. Besides this, he presents shows on BBC Radio 5 Live and has presented Sportsday on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News. He currently co-presents the program "BBC Breakfast" from Monday to Wednesday with Louise Minchin until mid-2021, and with Sally Nugent from late 2021 onwards. Moreover, he was also part of the BBC Sport team covering the 2010 FIFA World Cup where he spent the tournament traveling from Cape Town at the start of the tournament to Johannesburg for the final in a double-decker bus, filming packages to be shown both as part of the TV coverage and online, and providing commentary and news via the BBC's online channels and Twitter.
What is Dan Walker Famous For
- Being a journalist, newsreader as well as a television presenter.
- For presenting "Football Focus", "BBC Breakfast" and more.
- Reporting for "Final Score" and "Match of the Day".
What is Dan Walker Religion?
Dan Walker was born on 19th March 1977 with the birth name of Daniel Meirion Walker. He is from Crawley, Sussex, England. He was born to his father who was the minister of a local church and his mother. His ethnicity is Mixed as he is of British-Welsh descent. He spent his early life and childhood in Crawley until the age of 18. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He celebrated his 45th birthday as of 2022. Dan has not stated anything about his parents' names.
About his religion, he is a practicing Christian who has maintained his position not to work on Sunday throughout his career. His spiritual upbringing came largely through the Evangelical Christian tradition and his higher profile in the BBC attracted media reports highlighting fringe Christian groups and inferring that Walker himself held "loopy" beliefs. He later clarified through his spokesperson that he was simply a Christian who believes that God is behind creation.
Focusing on his educational qualification, he attended Ifield Primary School, Three Bridges Middle School, and Hazelwick Secondary School. He earned a BA (Hons) degree in History in 1998 and an MA degree in Journalism Studies in 1999 at the University of Sheffield.
Dan Walker Career Timeline (Radio and Television)
- Walker started his professional broadcasting career at Sheffield's Hallam FM.
- He then came to fame after winning a competition for young sports commentators.
- In 1999, he moved to a full-time career with a four-year stint as a sports presenter and commentator for Manchester's Key 103 radio. There, he presented the regular midweek sports show (often broadcasting from UEFA Champions League matches at Manchester United's Old Trafford ground) and also appeared as the resident sports correspondent for Mike Toolan's breakfast show.
- Next, he stepped into television with a six-month spell at Granada Television in Manchester.
- He then appeared as a commentator on the Football League Review show before joining BBC regional news program "North West Tonight".
- In the year 2006, he started working in London, and in the year 2008, he started presenting and reporting at Wimbledon, The Open, Aintree, Ascot, and The Derby at Epsom as well as the Six Nations.
- In August 2009, he took over from Manish Bhasin as the presenter of Football Focus.
- Moreover, he presents the web-based Friday preview Friday Focus.
- Likewise, he writes a blog on the BBC website where he discusses the show and football in general.
- He was part of the BBC Sport team covering the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- On 26th November 2011, Gary Speed appeared as a guest on Football Focus with Walker. The two men spent a total of about four hours with each other on the day. Walker said of Speed: "I always found him to be kind, funny, intelligent and insightful. I found him to be a top bloke and really enjoyed his company."
- On 27th November 2011, he received the news that Speed had died by hanging at his house in Cheshire. He said that he was "stunned" by Speed's death and that he was "incredibly saddened". He had known Speed for quite a long time and had played football with him in a charity match two months earlier.
- In March 2012, he said that he was "staggered by the depth of feeling and shock" on Sunday when Speed's death was announced.
- He then presented Afternoon Edition every Monday-Thursday on BBC Radio 5 Live until 2016.
- In the year 2016, he replaced Bill Turnbull as presenter of BBC Breakfast. His first show aired on 29th February. At present, he co-presents the program from Monday to Wednesday with Louise Minchin until mid-2021, and with Sally Nugent from late 2021 onwards. Walker presented the 'Clash of the Titans' segment of the Sport Relief telethon. Furthermore, he also reported for the 2016 Olympics.
- In November 2020, he was confirmed as the new host of The NFL Show.
- He left Football Focus after 12 years on 22nd May 2021 and then, he continued as a presenter on BBC Breakfast and BBC Sport.
- On 10th August 2021, it was announced he would be competing in the nineteenth series of Strictly Come Dancing. He paired with the Ukrainian-Slovenian professional Nadiya Bychkova but they were eliminated in week 11.
- On 4th April 2022, he announced, via a Twitter video, that he would be leaving the BBC to move to Channel 5.
Dan Walker is leaving BBC Breakfast for Channel 5
Dan Walker announced he is leaving the BBC for Channel 5. He has hosted the morning show since 2016. He confirmed on social media that he will be fronting a revamped version of Channel 5's 5pm news program. The move to Channel 5 will also see Walker host a number of other shows for the broadcaster including non-news programming. Walker said in a statement: "I can’t wait to get stuck into the daily news show, but I am also excited about making some great new TV for Channel 5." He added: "I love their ideas and creativity and it’s rare to get an opportunity like this where paths and ambitions meet. The chance to do something different was too good to turn down." He also confirmed that his time at the BBC will be up "in the next few weeks". He also outlined his reasons for the change: "Channel 5 came with big ambitions, big plans and I don’t think opportunities like this come around very often and I can’t wait." He also celebrated his time with the BBC: "I’m really excited but this has also been a massive decision for me because I love Breakfast, I love working alongside Sally (Nugent) and I love the team there." He was previously the host of Football Focus and currently presents The NFL Show.
Awards and Achievements
- Won the Royal Television Society Sports Award in 2005 for Regional Sports Presenter of the Year
How much is Dan Walker Salary?
Dan Walker is a talented journalist and TV host by profession. As of 2022, the net worth of Dan is estimated to have $2.5 Million. His main source of wealth is from the entertainment industry. He is living a modest lifestyle at present from his career earnings. In 2021, he was making around £295,000 annually. Whereas his exact salary in 2022 is still to get disclosed yet.
Who is Dan Walker Wife?
Dan Walker is a married man to his beautiful spouse, Sarah in the year 2001. From their married, they produced three children; two daughters and a son namely Susanna, Chuck, and Jessica Walker. The couple met each other at Sheffield University. At present, the happily married pair are enjoying their present life a lot. They both are supportive of each other at hard and easy times. By sexuality, he is straight. The family is currently residing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Winnie is their dog.
What is Dan Walker Height?
Dan Walker is a handsome man with a standing tall height of 6 feet 6 inches. His well-maintained body weight consists of 82 KG. He has a pair of blue eyes and his hair color is light brown. His other body measurement is still to get disclosed yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body and his body build is slim.
Trivias About Dan Walker You Need To Know.
- He supports Crawley Town Football Club, also known as The Reds and Red Devils.
- Walker is also an active patron of several charities including the Sheffield Children's Hospital charity.
- He climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief with a number of other celebrities in 2019.
- Pisces is his zodiac sign.
- He is a practising Christian.
- He was also the part of the BBC Sport team covering the 2010 FIFA World Cup.