David Gray - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Kids, Age, Family, Facts, Awards
David Gray is a British singer and songwriter who step into the music industry in 1993 with his first studio album, A Century Ends. But the album failed in the terms of commercial sales. His other two albums go the same way but he did not lose his faith in music. The year 1998 become his turning point. This year, he released his first single, Babylon which becomes the biggest-selling album ever in that country. After that, he released his fourth album, White Ladder which goes commercially and critically goes well. People like his songs and he becomes famous quite well. During his career, he released 12 studio albums, 1 live album, 1 compilation album, 19 music videos, 1 EPs, and 22 singles to date. To know more about him, you should read the below article.
What is David Gray famous for?
- A British singer-songwriter.
- His 4th studio album, White Ladder.
What nationality is David Gray?
David Gray was born in 1968 to his parents. Currently, he is aged 53 years old, and his birthdate is June 13. His birthplace is Sale, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom. He holds British nationality and belongs to the White ethnicity. His birth sign is Gemini and follows Atheism. Similarly, his parents are and siblings' details are yet to be public but his parents ran a clothes shop named Cottage Clothes.
For education, He attended Carmarthenshire College of Art. He then enrolled in Liverpool School of Art and later graduated in 1993.
David Gray Career
- Upon his graduation, he released his two studio albums, A Century Ends and Flesh in 1993 and 1994 respectively which led to him becoming popular in folk-rock circles, but both failed in terms of commercial sales.
- In 1996, he released his third album, Sell, Sell, Sell. This alum also failed in terms of commercial sales.
- In 1997, he contributed five songs to Mary Black's ninth album, Shine.
- In 1998, he released his first single, "Babylon" which sold 100,000 copies in Ireland alone. According to a 2012 report, it was the biggest-selling album ever in that country.
- In 2000, he released his fourth album, White Ladder which records to ATO Records, brought him commercial success and critical attention. The album included his best-known songs: "This Year's Love", "Babylon", "Please Forgive Me" and "Sail Away".
- In 2001, he released his first EPs, The EPs 1992-1994. The same year, he released his fifth studio album, Lost Songs 95–98.
- In 2002, he released his sixth album, A New Day at Midnight. The new release did not receive the same critical acclaim as its predecessor.
- After that, he took three years hiatus and returned with his seventh album, Life in Slow Motion in 2005. It topped the UK Albums Chart in its first week of release.
- In 2007, he released the compilation album, Shine: The Best of the Early Years.
- The same year, he performed with Damien Rice at the UK leg of Live Earth at Wembley Stadium in London.
- At the end of the year, he released another compilation album, Greatest Hits, which includes many of his best-known songs as well as two new songs, including the lead single "You're the World to Me".
- In 2009, he released his ninth studio album, Draw the Line. The same year, he performed his self-proclaimed first pool-side concert at the Rooftop Pool at The Colonnade Hotel in Boston for the Mix 104.1 End of Summer Bash.
- In 2014, he signed a global agreement with Kobalt Label Services for the release of his tenth studio album, Mutineers.
- In 2019, he released his eleventh album, Gold in a Brass Age. It was produced by Ben de Vries, son of producer Marius de Vries, and was seen largely as a return to his signature "folktronica" sound.
- In 2020, he released a 20th-anniversary edition of White Ladder. A deluxe set with bonus tracks and demos was also made available on both CD and vinyl formats.
- In 2021, he released his twelfth album, Skellig. It was recorded at Edwyn Collins' Helmsdale studio in Scotland and features David Kitt, Rob Malone, and producer Ben de Vries as musicians on the record.
David Gray Awards and Achievements
David Gray has been engaged in the music industry for a long time. He contributes many songs to the music industry to date. Due to his precious contribution, he was honored with several awards which his listed below:
- IFPI Platinum Europe Awards (2000) - White Ladder - Album Title - Won
- Q Awards (2000) - Babylon - Best Single - Won
- Ivor Novello Awards (2001) - Babylon - Best Song Musically & Lyrically - Won
- Meteor Music Awards (2001) - White Ladder - Best International Album - Won
- Meteor Music Awards (2001) - White Ladder - Best International Songwriter - Won
- GQ Awards (2002) - Himself - Best Solo Artist - Won
- Ivor Novello Awards (2003) - The Other Side - Best Song Musically & Lyrically - Won
Who is David Gray's wife?
David Gray is happily married to the lawyer, Olivia Gray. The pair exchanged their wedding vows in a ceremony which is held in Los Angeles, California in 1993. Together, the couple produces two daughters named Ivy Gray and Florence Gray. Unfortunately, her wife suffered a difficult pregnancy and a post-natal illness while giving birth. Currently, the couple lives blissful life with their children happily in London. Further, His daughters are so supportive and always encourage him to be sing.
How much does David Gray earn?
David Gray has been engaged in the music industry since 1992. Since then, he has released 12 studio albums, 1 live album, 1 compilation album, 19 music videos, 1 EPs, and 22 singles. Based on some online sites, his current estimated net worth is said to be $8 million. However, his salary and other financial details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is David Gray?
David Gray has a slim body with a height of 5 feet 11 inches and he weighs around 75 Kg. Similarly, both of his eyes and hair color are dark brown. His other body information is yet to be public. In the case of disclosure, we will let you know. Overall, he has a good and healthy body.
Trivias About David Gray You Need To Know.
- The 1st time he got drunk was from his parents’ alcohol cabinet. He took some of the bottles from there to the disco, mixed them with cider and gin, and made a “noxious cocktail” with his friends.
- As a kid, he wanted to be a soccer player. That passion never completely disappeared as he was a passionate Manchester United supporter throughout his life.
- He worked as a restaurant pot washer while he was in college. Due to that part-time job, he has tidiness habits and must always scrub everything until it looks like it has never been used.
- He has always been obsessed with birds. David stated: “Their beauty, freedom, and ability to fly has thrilled me from my youth. As for poetry, well I get a lot of poetry books as gifts.”
- He recorded the White Ladder in his bedroom and didn’t expect it would become a hit at all.
- The Guardian has described his voice as “a rasping blend of gravel and honey”.
- He stated that he never aspired to be famous and enjoys staying out of the limelight for as much as he can.
- He’s very good at making soup.
- He is a huge fan of wine.