Facts About Derek Chauvin
|47 Years Old
|Derek Michael Chauvin
|Former Police Officer
|Place Of Birth
|Robert Michael Chauvin
|Park High School
|College / University
|Dakota County Technical College, Inver Hills Community College
|Metropolitan State University
|5 ft 9 in
Derek Chauvin is an American former police officer who was convicted of the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota. On 29th May 2020, Derek was arrested. Chauvin had knelt on George Floyd's neck for about nine minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the street calling out "I can't breathe" during an arrest made with three other officers (Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and J. Alexander Kueng). George Floyd was a 46-year old black man. On 26th May, Chauvin was fired by the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD). On 8th March 2021, Chauvin was put on trial for second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. On 25th June 2021, he was sentenced to 22+1⁄2 years in prison (minus the 199 days of credit he received for time already served), with the possibility of supervised release contingent on factors such as good behavior after serving two-thirds of his gross sentence (the sentence before any deductions of time), or 15 years for this second-degree murder conviction. Derek is an anti-racist American and due to his racist behavior, an innocent man was killed. Back then, he served in US Army from 1996 to 2000. He also worked last 19 years in the police department before he got fired due to George's Murder.
What is Derek Chauvin Known For?
- Being a former police officer.
- For convicting the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Where is Derek Chauvin From? Details About His Parents, Family, and Education
Derek Chauvin was born on 19th March 1976 in Oakdale, Minnesota, the USA with the birth name of Derek Michael Chauvin. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is American-White. His race is White. He celebrated his 45th birthday as of 2021. Pisces is his Zodiac sign and he follows the Christianity religion. He was born to his father, Robert Michael Chauvin, and his mother, Carolyn Runge. His dad was an accountant and his mother was a housewife by occupation. His parents separated via divorce when Derek was only seven. After then, his mom remarried.
About his education, Derek attended Park High School, and later he dropped out. After that, he went to attend Dakota County Technical College from where he earned a degree in quantity food processing. Then, he went to Inver Hills Community College (1995-1999) and Metropolitan State University. In the year 2006, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in law enforcement.
Derek Chauvin Career Timeline
- Derek Chauvin joined the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) in the year 2001.
- When he was in the police department, he was involved in three police shootings, one of which was fatal.
- Additionally, he received a medal for valor in the year 2006 for being one of several officers who fired on a suspect who pointed a shotgun at them, and another in 2008 for a domestic violence incident in which he broke down a door and shot a suspect who reached for his pistol.
- Moreover, he received a commendation medal in 2008 after he and his partner tackled a fleeing suspect holding a pistol. Again, he received a commendation medal after working off duty as a security guard for a nightclub in the year 2009.
- He was among officers responding to a complaint by the mother of two young children on 4th September 2017. Videos from the scene were said to show Chauvin hitting a 14-year-old black boy in the head with a flashlight so hard he required stitches, then holding him down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, ignoring the boy's complaints that he could not breathe.
- Trying to avoid prejudice in the Floyd trial, the judge prohibited the prosecutors from raising the matter.
- As per the former owner of El Nuevo Rodeo, a Latin nightclub, Chauvin had worked there off duty as security while George Floyd was also working as security, but was not certain whether they knew each other.
Murder of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin was one of four officers involved in arresting George Floyd on 25th May 2020 on suspicion of using a counterfeit $20 bill at a market and was the field training officer for one of the other officers involved.
- The criminal complaint stated that, based on body camera footage, Floyd repeatedly said he could not breathe while standing outside the police car, resisted getting in the car, and fell down; he went to the ground face down. While Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the street, Chauvin knelt on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes.
- After Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd's neck, Floyd repeatedly said "I can't breathe", "Mama", and "please". During the final two minutes, Floyd was motionless and had no pulse. Several bystanders took videos that were widely circulated and broadcast.
- On 23rd June, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said that Chauvin had been trained in the dangers of positional asphyxiation and characterized Floyd's death as murder.
Arrest and Charges
- On 29th May 2020, Derek was arrested and was charged with third-degree murder, and the lesser included offense of second-degree manslaughter, making him the first white police officer in Minnesota to be charged with the death of a black civilian.
- Under Minnesota law, third-degree murder is defined as causing another's death without intent to kill, but "evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life". Second-degree manslaughter also does not imply lethal intent, but that the perpetrator created "an unreasonable risk" of serious harm or death
- On June 3, Ellison amended the charges against Chauvin to include unintentional second-degree murder under the felony-murder doctrine, alleging that Chauvin killed Floyd in the course of committing assault in the third degree; Minnesota sentencing guidelines recommend 12+1⁄2 years' imprisonment on conviction of that charge. Bail for Chauvin was set at $1.25 million.
- Then, he was released on conditional bail on 7th October 2020, after posting a bond of $1 million.
- Later, Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill dismissed the third-degree murder charge, but also denied Chauvin's motion to dismiss the other, more serious murder charges on 22nd October 2020.
- On 11th March 2021, Cahill reinstated the third-degree murder charge against Chauvin.
Derek Chauvin Trial
- Derek's trial started on 8th March 2021 at the Hennepin County Government Center which marked the first time that a judge in Minnesota authorized cameras to show a full criminal trial.
- He was the first white Minnesotan police officer to be convicted of murdering a black person and was only the second time an officer has been convicted of murder in Minnesota, the first being the third-degree murder conviction of Somali-American officer Mohamed Noor in the killing of Justine Damond, a white woman.
- Later, he appealed his second-degree murder conviction which was denied by the Minnesota State Supreme Court. Then, he hired attorney William Mohrman to represent him.
Derek Chauvin Imprisonment
- Derek was remanded into custody by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, which transferred him to the Minnesota Department of Corrections.
- Then, he was then booked into the Oak Park Heights prison. He was held at Oak Park Heights until his sentencing hearing on 25th June 2021.
- Chauvin was sentenced to 22+1⁄2 years in prison (minus the 199 days of credit he received) in the June 25 hearing on the second-degree murder charge, while the second-degree manslaughter and third-degree murder charges remain not adjudicated.
- On 16th September 2021, Chauvin pleaded not guilty to the charges related to the 2017 incident indictment.
Who is Derek Chauvin Wife?
Derek Chauvin was a married man. He tied a knot to his beautiful wife, Kellie on 12th June 2010. After ten years of married life, Kellie Chauvin's lawyer released a statement on 29th May 2020 which stated that she had filed for divorce. In February 2021, the divorce was settled. Derek met Kellie at the Hennepin Medical Center. He was in the medical center for a health check-up of a suspect before he was locked up in a prison. After he returned, he asked Kellie out for a date. By profession, his spouse, Kellie is a Laotian refugee who then moved to the USA. She secured the title 'Mrs. Minnesota' in 2019. Professionally, Kellie is a real estate agent and photographer. Kellie was a married woman previously. Thus, she has had two children from her first marriage. Derek and Kellie did not have any children together.
Today, Derek Chauvin is assumed to be single and he is living his single life happily without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How much is Derek Chauvin Net Worth?
Derek Chauvin is a former police officer. The present net worth of Derek Chauvin is estimated to have $500K as of 2021. He had been paying his bills by the government paychecks so far. After he killed an innocent boy, he was fired from his job i.e police officer. He has a property worth 30 thousand dollars. He is in massive debt as he was bailed out of jail for 1 million dollars which he does not have. His wife divorced him one day before his arrest. Prior to his job in the police, he was cool and he served in the military as an officer. He also received the cheques from the military, which would be his only income force. The average salary of a police officer in the US is around $53300. He owns a home valued at $30K. His source of wealth was from his police career.
How tall is Derek Chauvin?
Derek Chauvin is a cool man with an attractive and skilled personality. He stands tall at the perfect height 5 ft 9 in or 1.75 m and his bodyweight consist of 63 Kg or 140 lbs. He has a pair of blue eyes and his hair color is brown. His body type is slim. He has not inked any tattoos on his body. His other body size is 33-30-35 inches. His shoe size is 7.5 UK.
Trivias About Derek Chauvin You Need To Know.
- Derek Chauvin is a former cop from the USA.
- He was convicted of the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- His real name is Derek Michael Chauvin.
- His parents separated via divorce when Derek was only seven.
- In the year 2006, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in law enforcement.