Derek Jeter - Bio, Net Worth, Hall of Fame, CEO, Wife, Age, Height, Ethnicity, Nationality, Facts, Wiki, Books, Parents, Family, Career, MLB, Stats
Derek Jeter is a legendary baseball player who has played 19 seasons with the Major League Baseball. He has won the World Series five times and is a central figure in the history of this sport. Regarded as one of the most valuable players, He is a greatly marketed athlete from around the world.
In the past decade, he has been the leading scorer for his team - the New York Yankees. He is an accomplished professional and is an idol and a sensation among many nascent players. His career graph has been consistent throughout and he has contributed to the Yankees’ successes through all odds. Today, He is simply known as ‘The Captain’ for his never-say-die attitude and his unbeatable records. He is also the 23rd member of the 3,000 hits club and the fourth-youngest player to reach this landmark. Let's know more about him through this article.
What is Derek Jeter famous for?
- An American former professional baseball shortstop, businessman, and baseball executive.
Where is Derek Jeter from?
Recalling his early life, Jeter was born in Pequannock Township, New Jersey. His mother Dorothy Jeter, an accountant and his father Sanderson Charles Jeter, a substance abuse counselor. His parents met while serving in the United States Army in Germany. His father also used to play baseball, but his sister Sharlee Jeter was a softball star when she was in high school.
The family moved from New Jersey to Kalamazoo, Michigan when he was four years old. He still spent the summer holidays in New Jersey with his grandparents, who took him to New York Yankee games. This inspired him to become a baseball player.
Where did Derek Jeter play college baseball?
Jeter went to Kalamazoo Central High School, where he played basketball, baseball and ran cross country. He had high batting averages during this period. The University of Michigan was interested in him and offered a scholarship to play college baseball for the Michigan Wolverines.
When did Derek Jeter begin his baseball career?
- After graduating from High School, Jeter went to play at Michigan University All-star camp, where a New York Yankees scout saw him. He enrolled at Michigan University but soon decided to turn to professional baseball.
- The Yankees selected him in the 1992 draft. He was quickly rising in the team, and in 1994 his score of batting .344 with 50 stolen bases won him the honor of Minor League Player of the Year.
- In 1995, He made his big-league debut after the Yankees shortstop Tony Fernandez was put on a disabled list. The following season was his first full Major League Baseball season. He batted .314 with ten home runs.
- The same year, the new talent of Yankees helped the team win the World Series.
- In 1996, He won the American League Rookie of the Year Award. In 1998, He was selected to the All-Star game. He has selected an All-Star a total of 14 times in his career.
- In the year 2000, He became the first baseball player in history to be named All-Stare Game and World Series Most Valuable Player. He has been widely known for his inside-out swing and jumps throws that are quite acrobatic. He was known as a player who works best under pressure. In 2003, he was named the captain of New York Yankees.
- In the 2003 season, He suffered his first major injury. In a collision with another player, he separated his shoulder. He quickly returned to the game with no permanent disabilities.
- In 2004, Jeter won the Gold Glove award for his excellence in the field. In 2009, Jeter passed baseball legend, Lou Gehrig, with a 2,722nd hit -the most in the history of the franchise. The same year he also won the fifth world championship ring.
- In the 2013 season, He injured his ankle and was limited to only 17 games. He announced that he would retire after the 2014 season after spending 20 seasons in the Major League. He finished his career with .310 lifetime batting average and had 3,465 hits, which ranked him the sixth in long league history.
- In July 2017, He engaged in the bidding for ownership of the Miami Marlins. In August 2017, He and Bruce Sherman finalized a deal to purchase the Miami Marlins. The sale was completed in September 2017, following unanimous approval of the other 29 MLB team owners.
- On January 21st, 2020, He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame as part of its class of 2020, only one vote shy of being a unanimous selection.
Is Derek Jeter married?
Reflecting on his personal life, Jeter became engaged to Davis in 2015. The duo got married in July 2016. It was a joy when Hannah brought to light that she was pregnant and in August 2017 the couple welcomed a new member into their family, a baby girl named Bella Raine Jeter. Their second daughter, Story Grey Jeter was born in January this year, 2019. Presently, the pair live a blissful life with their kids.
How much is Derek Jeter worth?
Being a part of the sports industry, Jeter earns an impressive amount of money and fame through his profession as a baseball player. Based on some online reports, his estimated net worth said to be $185 million and his annual salary is somewhere around $30 million at present.
How tall is Derek Jeter?
Observing his body statistics, Jeter stands a height of 6 feet 3 inches and weighs around 89 Kg. Similarly, he has a pair of green eyes and brown hair color. Further, he has an athletic body with a biceps size is 15.5 inches, chest size is 44 inches and waist size is 34 inches.
Trivias About Derek Jeter You Need To Know.
- He was the first baseball player ever to be named All-Star MVP and World Series MVP in the same year (2000).
- He was an honor student in high school.
- He finished in the top 10 in voting for American League MVP from 1998-2001.
- Surprisingly, he is the only Yankee to ever be named MVP in the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. He was named MVP in the 2000 World Series.