Facts About Diego Souza
|38 Years Old
|Diego de Souza Andrade
|Place Of Birth
|Rio de Janerio, Brazil
|2009 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Best Player and 2016 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Top Goalscorer.
|Marco Aurelio Souza
|Maria Cristina Souza
|Diogo Souza and Douglas Souza
|Luciana Lunes Comes
|Manuela Souza and David Souza
|6 ft. 1 inches
|Source of Wealth
Diego de Souza Andrade professionally known as Diego Souza is a Brazilian professional football player who plays for Brazilian Serie A club Gremio as an attacking midfielder or a forward. In his career, he has played for ten clubs in the Campeonato Brazilian Serie A, including nine of the Big Twelve. He was Serie A top scorer in 2016. At the start of 2020, his contract got expired and he moved on a free transfer to Gremio.
On the international level, he has represented Brazil at various age levels. He was in the winning squad of Brazil U17 at the 2001 South American U17 Football Championship in Peru. He played twice in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship. In September 2009, he was called up for the first time to the senior national team. On 11 October 2009, he made his national team debut. On 13 June 2017, he scored his first international goal.
What is Diego Souza Famous For?
- Won the 2005 Rio de Janeiro State League with Fluminense.
- Won the 2006 Copa do Brasil with Flamengo.
- Won the 2007, 2020 Campeonato Gaucho with Gremio.
- Won the 2008 Campeonato Paulista with Palmeiras.
- Won the 2011 Copa do Brasil with Vasco da Gama.
- Won the 2017 Campeonato Pernambucano with Sport.
- Won the 2011 Superclascio de las Americas with Brazil.
- Won the 2009 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Best Player.
- Won the 2016 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Top Goalscorer.
Where is Diego Souza From?
Diego Souza was born on 17 June 1985. His birth name is Diego de Souza Andrade. His birthplace is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He was one of the three children of Marco Aurelio Souza and Maria Cristina Souza where he grew up with his two brothers Diogo Souza and Douglas Souza. He holds Brazilian nationality. His horoscope sign is Gemini.
Diego Souza Football Career Timeline
- He started playing football from the youth sector of Fluminense in 2002.
- In 2003, he was promoted to Fluminense senior team.
- In May 2005, he signed a five-year deal with Portugal's Benfica.
- In July 2005, he was loaned to Fluminense's rivals Flamengo. There he made a total of 22 appearances and scored 5 goals for the team
- In 2007, he was loaned to Gremio. In that year, Benfica set a fee of €4 million if the move was to be made permanent. He made 33 appearances and scored 8 goals for the team.
- In 2008, he moved to Palmeiras for €3.75M total fee and signed a contract until December 2011. There he made 67 appearances and scored 15 goals for the team.
- On 30 June 2010, Atletico Mineiro’s president announced the signing of him. There he made 28 appearances and scored 5 goals for the team.
- On 2 March 2011, he signed for Vasco da Gama on a four-year deal. There he made 44 appearances and scored 14 goals for the team.
- In July 2012, he moved back abroad to Al-Ittihad of the Saudi Professional League. He began legal action against the club in October due to unpaid wages. Denied an exit visa from the Middle Eastern kingdom, he sought help from the Brazilian embassy in Riyadh in November.
- Before the end of 2011, Cruzeiro signed him and the transfer was allowed to go through by the following February when FIFA denied an appeal by Al Ittihad.
- In July 2013, he moved to Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine, for a fee of €4 million.
- In January 2014, he wanted to return to Brazil to escape the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine. In September 2014, a loan deal for him with Sport Recife was set.
- At the end of 2015, he signed a three-year deal to return to Fluminense after over a decade away. He finished the 2016 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A as one of three joint top scorers with 14 goals in 34 games, equalling a club record from 1984 and becoming only the third Serie A top scorer from a northeastern club - the first since Bahia’s Charles Fabian in 1990.
- On 22 March 2016, however, he returned to Sport on a deal until the end of 2017.
- On 7 January 2018, he signed for Sao Paulo on a two-year deal for a fee of R$10 million, with the club obtaining his full economic rights. Seventeen days later, he netted his first goal to open a 2-0 victory against Mirassol in the 2018 Campeonato Paulista.
- On 8 March 2019, after losing his place at São Paulo, he was transferred to Botafogo which was his 10th Serie A club, his 9th of the Big Twelve, and made him the 17th player to represent all four Rio-based members of the latter.
- At the start of 2020, his contract with Botafogo expired, and moved on a free transfer to Gremio over a decade after leaving the club from Porto Alegre. In the year's Campeonato Gaucho, he was the top scorer with 9 goals in 11 games as his team won the title.
Diego Souza International Career
- He has represented Brazil at various age levels.
- He was in the winning squad of Brazil U17 at the 2001 South American U17 Football Championship in Peru. He played twice in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship.
- In September 2009, he was called up for the first time to the senior national team for a game against Chile in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification.
- On 11 October 2009, he made his national team debut against Bolivia.
- He did not return to the team until 28 September 2011, when he came on as a 68th-minute substitute for Lucas Moura in a 2-0 win over Argentina in the Superclascio de las Americas.
- Following his first two caps, he had to wait over five years for another opportunity in January 2017, when Tite selected him for a friendly against Colombia based on his form for Sport Recife, and he retained his place for World Cup qualifiers that year.
- On 13 June 2017, he scored his first international goals in a 4-0 win over Australia.
Diego Souza Wife and Children
Talking about his personal life, he is married. He tied the knot with his long-time girlfriend, Luciana Lunes Comes. The couple has two children, a beautiful daughter, Manuela Souza, and a son, David Souza. They are living their life happily together.
Diego Souza Height
Diego Souza stands at a height of 1.86m i.e. 6 feet and 1 inch tall. He has a bodyweight of 89kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Diego Souza Salary and Net Worth
Diego Souza earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. His net worth and salary are not revealed yet. Any updates on his net worth and salary will be updated here.
Trivias About Diego Souza You Need To Know.
- He can play as an attacking midfielder or a forward position.
- 2009 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Best Player.
- 2016 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Top Goalscorer.
- He wears shirt number 29 for Gremio.