Facts About Diplo
|Age||44 Years Old|
|Profession||DJ , Songwriter , Record Producer|
Diplo is an American DJ, songwriter, and record producer who is well known as the co-creator and lead member of the electronic dancehall music project, "Major Lazer". He also makes up half of the duo Jack U with Skrillex and later formed a supergroup known as LSD with Sia and Labrinth. He is also the founder of a record company, "Mad Decent", and co-founder of the non-profit organization, "Heaps Decent". Diplo's 2013 EP, "Revolution" was a hit as it even was featured in a commercial for Hyundai and on the WWE 2K16 soundtrack.
He has won 3 Grammy awards and is quite active in social media sites with over 5.8 million followers on his Instagram: @diplo.
What is Diplo Famous for?
- Famous as a Grammy-winning DJ.
- Known as the co-creator of the popular music band, "Major Lazer".
Where was Diplo Born?
Diplo was born on November 10, 1978, in Tupelo, Mississippi, United States. His birth name is Thomas Wesley Pentz. His nationality is American. Diplo belongs to White ethnicity and is of German and English descent while Scorpio is his zodiac sign.
Diplo was born as the son of Barbara Jean(mother) and Thomas Pentz(father). He grew up in his hometown, Tupelo, whose influence played a key role in helping shape of Diplo production style. He began to have an interest in music, especially rap and electronic music at a young age, as he even got a taste for the characteristic Miami bass while he was in Miami.
In 1997, he began attending the University of Central Florida during which he became a DJ at local radio station WPRK, the radio station at Rollins College. Later, he moved to Philadelphia to continue his studies at Temple University, where he first garnered attention as a DJ.
After he became friends with fellow DJ Low Budget, the two began throwing parties under the Hooked on Hollertronix moniker in 2003. The success of these parties followed the release of their separate mixtapes, gathering acclaim across the country, one of which, "Never Scared", was named one of The New York Times' top ten albums of 2003.
Diplo's Career Highlights
- Diplo's solo debut album, "Florida" was released in 2004, on the Ninja Tune imprint, Big Dada Records which was later re-released as F10rida with 10 extra tracks in 2014.
- After then, Diplo built a recording and video studio, "The Mausoleum", which later was used by Shakira, Plastic Little and Scream to record their music and videos.
- Diplo got his first recognition after the popular British rapper and singer, M.I.A. heard one of his songs in 2004 and eventually, approached Diplo when he was DJing one night at the Fabric Club in London.
- M.I.A. and Diplo collaborated on a mixtape, "Piracy Funds Terrorism Vol. 1", which was listed among 'Albums of the Year' by The New York Times and Pitchfork Media. He then went on her Arular Tour in 2005.
- Diplo then met DJ Switch, through contact of M.I.A. and together the 2 DJs created the Grammy-nominated track "Paper Planes", peaking at number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Following his success as a DJ, he began working as a producer and landed collaborations with big names such as Shakira, Kid Kudi, Bruno Mars, Snoop Dogg, and many others. He then worked on another project titled "Mad Descent", on which he experimented with Brazilian sounds.
- In 2005, the "Mad Decent" label was found since then, it has collaborated with several artists such as Gucci Mane, Rusko, and Jamie Fanatic. It also has produced the works of some of the biggest names in the music industry like Lil Wayne, Britney Spears, Usher, Justin Bieber, and Ariana Grande.
- On October 16, 2015, Diplo released "Be Right There" along with fellow producer Sleepy Tom, that charted in multiple countries and has over 100 million streams on Spotify.
- Diplo produced two tracks on the Beyoncé's album, "All Night", one of which debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 and was certified platinum on June 8, 2016.
- Diplo later formed a duo named "Jack Ü" along with DJ Skrillex and eventually in February 2015, their first collaborative album named "Skrillex and Diplo Presents Jack U" was released on February 27, 2015. Their single, "Where Are U Now", collaborated with Justin Bieber, became the duo's largest hit with over billion views on YouTube.
- Along with Australian singer Sia, and British musician Labrinth, Diplo formed a pop supergroup, "LSD". Their debut album "Labrinth, Sia & Diplo Present... LSD" was released on April 12, 2019.
- On May 23, 2018, Diplo along with Mark Ronson released their debut single "Only Can Get Better" featuring Daniel Merriweather.
- He performed on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, Good Morning America, The iHeart Radio Music Festival, The NRJ Music Awards, The 2015 Latin Grammy Awards, and The 2016 Grammy Awards.
- He also sang the song "Phurrr" in Bollywood in Imtiaz Ali's film "Jab Harry Met Sejal" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma.
- Recently, in May 2020, Fortnite hosted a Diplo concert in its new party mode.
- Diplo and his partner, DJ Switch were signed by the Downtown Records for a collaborative album together that led to the formation of the popular electronic dance music band, "Major Lazer".
- Their debut full-length studio album, "Guns Don't Kill People... Lazers Do" was later released along with the track "Pon De Floor" which was sampled for Beyoncé's single "Run the World (Girls)".
- Major Lazer's first EP, "Lazers Never Die", which was released in 2010 which was followed by "Free the Universe" in 2013.
- On June 1, 2016, their third studio album, "Peace Is the Mission" was released along with the hit single, "Lean On" that has over 2 billion views on YouTube.
- On July 22, 2016, the group released the single "Cold Water", a collaboration with Canadian artist Justin Bieber and Danish singer MØ.
- On November 29, 2016, Major Lazer and Bad Royale released "My Number".
- In June 2020, their latest album, "Lazerism", featuring Sia and Nicki Minaj will be released.
Diplo along with DJ Skrillex won two Grammy Awards including:
- "Grammy Award for Best Dance Album" for "Skrillex and Diplo present Jack Ü"(2016)
- "Grammy Award for Best Dance" for "Where Are Ü Now?" with Justin Bieber (2016)
- "Grammy Award for Best Dance" for "Electricity" (2019)
- GAFFA-Prisen Awards for Best International Artist (2019)
- Electronic Music Awards for Radio Show of the Year (2017)
- UK Music Video Awards for Best Styling in a Video for "Earthquake" (2013)
Who is Diplo Married to?
Diplo was previously married to Katherine Lockhart with whom he shares two sons named Lazer and Lockett. On March 20, 2020, Diplo welcomed his third son named Pace with the Trinidadian model and Miss Universe Trinidad and Tobago 2014 title holder, Jevon King.
Previously, he dated several other popular ladies including Madonna, Katy Perry, and M.I.A. In 2017, Diplo and Kate Hudson, an actress sparked dating rumors after being seen together at an Oscars after-party.
Besides, Diplo is a soccer and cricket fan and supporter of the U.S. men's national team, Philadelphia 76ers, and Arsenal F.C. He created a Mix for the 2014 World Cup and produced 2018 World Cup official song "Live It Up". Also, on June 9, 2016, Diplo was featured on the cover of the American entertainment media magazine Billboard.
How Tall is Diplo?
Diplo is a very good looking handsome man in his 40s. He has a well maintained athletic body physique with a number of tattoos painted all over his body. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 10inch(1.78 m) while his body weighs around 86kg. He has a fair complexion with long light brown hair and blue eyes.
He has a masculine body with 41 inches as his chest size, 34 inches as his waist size, and 15 inches as his biceps size.
What is the Net Worth of Diplo?
Diplo, the popular DJ, has quite great earnings from his work and professional career as a DJ, songwriter, and record producer as well. Working in the music industry for over a decade, Diplo has managed to amass a million worth fortune from his several hit albums, tours, and collaborations. With his group, "Major Lazer", Jack U", and "LSD", he has released several hit Grammy-winning songs that undoubtedly has led to earnings of million and millions of fortune.
His estimated net worth at the moment is around $30 million. Alongside, with over 5 million followers on his Instagram, Diplo has a per post earnings of around $11,336 - $18,893 and over 2.8 million subscribers on his YouTube channels, "Diplo", over 3.1 million on "Jack Ü", over 1.3 million on "Mad Decent" and over 13.3 million on "Major Lazer", he has undoubtedly a great hand full money.