Facts About Edouard Mendy
|Celebrated Name||Edouard Mendy|
|Age||31 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Edouard Osoque Mendy|
|Place Of Birth||Montivilliers|
|Famous For||Won Champions League with Chelsea|
|Career Start||Made his professional debut in 2011|
|Current Club Country||England|
|Awards||Ghana Football Awards Best African International: 2021, UEFA Champions League Goalkeeper of the Season: 2020–21|
|Height||1.94 (6 ft 4 in)|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Source of Wealth||Football (Contracts, Salaries, Endorsements)|
|Salary||Around £4.4 million|
|Net Worth||$40 million|
Having almost quit football in 2014, Edouard Mendy kept his hope to shine and kept going. Today, he is probably one of the best goalkeepers in the world, certainly the best goalkeeper in the Premer League. He currently plays for the English club Chelsea, joined in 2020. He went on to win UEFA Champions League 2020-21 with Chelsea. He was ultimately named UEFA Champions League. Goalkeeper of the Season.
Regarding his international career, he made his senior international debut in 2018. Eligible to represent Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, or France, he committed to representing Senegal at the international level.
What is Edouard Mendy Famous For?
- Won UEFA Champions League and UEFA Super Cup with Chelsea.
What is Edouard Mendy From?
Edouard Mendy was born on 1 March 1992. His birth name is Edouard Osoque Mendy. His birth place is in Montivilliers in France. He holds French nationality. He was born to a Guinea-Bissauan father and Senegalese mother. The detailed information about his parents and siblings is not available at present. He belongs to the African ethnicity and his religion is Christianity.
Edouard Mendy Career
- Edouard Mendy started his football career by joining the youth academy of Le Havre AC. He was 13 years old when he joined Le Havre.
- He played for CS Municipaux Le Havre from 2006 to 2011.
- He then joined Cherbourg in 2011, where he started his professional football career.
- However, he became clubless after Cherbourg released him in 2014.
- He became clubless for a year and Mendy was already having second thoughts about his career.
- He registered for unemployment at the age of 22 and started looking for other jobs.
- Things turned around when he was signed by Marseille as the fourth-choice goalkeeper in 2015.
- He played the 2015-16 season as a backup goalkeeper for the club's reserves.
- He joined then-League 2 club, Reims in 2016.
- He soon established himself as the starting goalkeeper for the team.
- He led the club to win the 2017-18 Ligue 2 and earn promotion to Ligue 1 after keeping 18 clean sheets in 34 appearances.
- In his first Ligue 1 campaign, he kept 14 clean sheets and helped the club to finish in 8th place.
- After his outstanding performance for Reims, he joined Rennes in 2019.
- He signed with the club for an undisclosed for, rumored to be around €4 million.
- In his first and only season at Rennes, he helped the club to finish in third place in the league with 9 clean sheets. The club also qualified for the UEFA Champions League.
- He then signed with the English club, Chelsea in September 2020.
- He signed a five-year contract reportedly for £22 million.
- He kept consecutive clean sheets at the start of his Chelsea campaign setting several records.
- He became a key player for Chelsea that defeated Manchester City 1-0 in the final to win the UEFA Champions League 2020-21.
- He kept 9 clean sheets throughout the Champions League campaign, equalling the record of most clean sheets in a single season.
- He was named UEFA Champions League Goalkeeper of the Season. He was also named in the UFEA Champions League Squad of the Season.
- He also won UEFA Super Cup 2020-21 with Chelsea.
- He was named Ghana Football Awards Best African International as well as France Football CAF Men Team of the Year in 2021.
Edouard Mendy International Career
- Mendy was eligible to represent either Senegal, Guinea-Bissau, or France at the international level.
- He played friendly matches for Guinea-Bissau against Portuguese clubs, Belenenses, and Estoril. He played for Guinea-Bissau to honor his dying ill Guinea-Bissau father.
- He was short-listed by Guinea-Bissau for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
- However, Mendy rejected the call and pledged his allegiance to Senegal.
- He made his senior international debut for Senegal against Equatorial Guinea in November 2018.
- He represented Senegal at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. Senegal finished as runner-up where Mendy was withdrawn from the squad after being injured before Senegal's final group stage match.
Who is Edouard Mendy Wife?
Edouard Mendy is very private regarding his personal life. He is a married man but has not publicly shared about his wife on social media. He likes to keep his personal life away from the limelight. He also has a son. More details about his relationships, wife, wedding, family, and kids will be updated here.
How Tall is Edouard Mendy?
Edouard Mendy stands at the height of 1.94 m i.e. 6 feet and 4 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 86 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He usually keeps his hair short.
What is Edouard Mendy Salary and Net Worth?
Edouard Mendy earns from his professional career as a football player. One of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, Mendy currently plays for Chelsea where he won UEFA Champions League 2020-21. He has an annual salary of around £4.4 million at Chelsea. His net worth is estimated at $40 million at present.
Trivias About Edouard Mendy You Need To Know.
- He wears jersey number 16.
- He is the cousin of Real Madrid and France left-back, Ferland Mendy.
- He is the first African goalkeeper since Carl Ikeme in 2012 to play in Premier League.
- He is the first Chelsea goalkeeper since Petr Cech in 2004 to keep a clean sheet in their first three Premier League matches.
- He is the first African goalkeeper to play the UEFA Champions League final.
- He is very vocal and often organizes his defenders' positioning.