Emily Maitlis Bio, Family, Husband, Age, Facts, Job, Net Worth, Salary, Wiki, Kids, Nationality, Career, Height, Famous for, Personal Life, Trivia
Emily Maitlis is a British journalist and documentary filmmaker. She is a former newsreader for the BBC. As a lead anchor of BBC two's news, she covered elections for the BBC mainly in the UK, US, and Europe from the early 2000s to 2021. On 22 February 2022, Maitlis announced her resignation from the BBC after an exclusive signing with Global the parent of LBC to launch a daily podcast.
In February 2020, her interview with Prince Andrew won Interview of the Year and Scoop of the Year awards at the 2020 RTS Television Journalism Awards. She won Broadcast Journalist of the Year at the 2017 London Press Club Awards. She also received the German Hanns Joachim Friedrichs Award in 2020.
What is Emily Maitlis famous for?
- Being a British journalist and documentary filmmaker.
- For her tenure as a lead anchor of BBC Two's news and current affairs program Newsnight until the end of 2021.
Where was Emily Maitlis born?
Emily Maitlis was born on 6th September 1970 in Hamilton, a port city in the Canadian province of Ontario. Her birth name is Emily Maitlis. She holds a British nationality and belongs to the British Jewish ethnicity. Virgo is her star sign. She is a follower of Christianity.
Maitlis was born into a well-educated high-class family. Her father Peter Maitlis is a retired British organometallic chemist while her mother Marion Maitlis worked as a psychotherapist. Maitlis had two older sisters Nicky and Sally. They grew up in Sheffield. During their childhood, they traveled to many places around the world.
Maitlis was educated at King Edward VII School, Sheffield, a state comprehensive school. After her high school graduation, she enrolled at Queens College, Cambridge from where she earned a degree in Bachelors of Arts taking Major English.
Emily Maitlis Career
- Maitlis's initially worked as a documentary maker in Cambodia and China for the NBC network in the early 1990s.
- She spent six years in Hong Kong with TVB News and NBC Asia.
- In 2001, she joined BBC London News when the program was relaunched.
- From 2006 to 2016, she regularly presented news on BBC News Channel.
- In July 2007, Maitlis was appointed as a contributing editor to The Spectator magazine.
- In 2012, Maitlis presented the US 2012 election coverage on BBC One and the BBC News Channel.
- In 2016, she presented a news discussion program called This Week's World on BBC Two, late afternoon on Saturdays.
- In November 2019, Maitlis interviewed Prince Andrew, Duke of York, about his relationship with American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
- In 2020, Maitlis began presenting the BBC podcast, "Americast".
- On 22 February 2022, Maitlis announced her resignation from the BBC after an exclusive signing with Global the parent of LBC.
Who is Emily Maitlis's husband?
Maitlis has been married to married to Mark Gwynne since 2001. Mark Gwynne is an English investment manager. He is currently serving as a project and portfolio manager at Polygon Investment Management Firm since August 2007. The couple met each other while both were working in Hongkong in the early 1990s.
After dating for several years, Maitlis proposed to her husband while on holiday in Mauritius in 2000 which was accepted by Mark and they were happily engaged. After several months of their engagement, the duo was happily married in a lavish wedding. They had a joint Catholic and Jewish ceremony to honor both their faith. As of now, the couple has become parents of their two sons: Milo Atticus and Max.
Emily Maitlis Salary and Net Worth
As of February 2022, The net worth of Emily Maitlis is estimated to be around £2 million. As a veteran BBC presenter, she is earning a huge income for the past 20 years. She was amongst the ten highest-paid BBC presenters in 2019, with a salary of £260,000 to £264,999. As of now, her salary is around £325,000-£329,999 which is an increase of £60,000.
How tall is Emily Maitlis?
Emily Maitlis is 5 ft 7 inches tall and her body weight is around 56 Kg. She has an hourglass-shaped body. Her body measures 33-25-34 inches. She wears a 34B(US) size bra and a 6(US) size dress. She feels comfortable wearing 8(US) size shoes. She has a pair of dark-brown colored eyes. She looks elegant in her bob-type side-parted hairstyle that is blonde in color.
Did You Know?
- As of 2019, she was the only Newsnight presenter not to have attended a private school.
- She is a keen runner and a WellChild Celebrity Ambassador.
- She speaks fluent French, Spanish and Italian, and some Mandarin.