Last updated on June 25th, 2023 at 04:18 am
Facts About Emmylou Harris
|Celebrated Name||Emmylou Harris|
|Age||76 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Emmylou Harris|
|Birth Name||Emmylou Harris|
|Place Of Birth||Birmingham, Alabama|
|Father||Walter Rutland Harris|
|High School||Gar-Field Senior High School|
|University||University of North Carolina|
|Marital Status||Married and Divorced|
|Husband||Ex-Husband - Tom Slocum, Brian Ahern, Paul Kennerley|
|Children||Mika Hallie Slocum and Meghann Ahern|
|Net Worth||$15 million|
|Source of Wealth||Music Industry|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Links||Wikipedia Instagram Facebook Twitter|
Emmylou Harris is an American singer, songwriter, and musician. She is known for her musical genres such as folk music, pop, rock, and country music. She is referred to as "the queen of country rock". Harris has released dozens of albums and singles over the course of her career and has won 14 Grammys, the Polar Music Prize, and numerous other honors, including becoming a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1992 and an induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008. She has been married three times to Tom Slocum, Brian Ahern, and Paul Kennerley which all ended in divorce. She is a mother of two children, Mika Hallie Slocum and Meghann Ahern.
Harris's career as a musician has been growing for over forty years, and during this time, she has worked with famous musicians such as Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, and Linda Ronstadt. She works as a solo artist, a bandleader, an interpreter of other composers' works, a singer-songwriter, and a backing vocalist and duet partner. In 2018, she was presented with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Where is Emmylou Harris from?
Emmylou Harris was born on 2nd April 1947 into a career military family. She is from Birmingham, Alabama, the USA. She spent her childhood in North Carolina and Woodbridge, Virginia. Her father, Walter Rutland Harris (1921–1993), was a Marine Corps officer, and her mother, Eugenia (1921–2014), was a wartime military wife. Her father was reported missing in action in Korea in 1952 and spent ten months as a prisoner of war. Harris is 75 years old as of 2022. She holds American nationality and she belongs to American-White ethnical background race.
For her education, the singer graduated from Gar-Field Senior High School as class valedictorian. She won a drama scholarship to the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where she began to study music and learn the songs of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, and Joan Baez on guitar. She dropped out of college to pursue her musical aspirations and moved to New York City, working as a waitress to support herself while performing folk songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses during the 1960s folk music boom.
Emmylou Harris's music career
- Emmylou Harris initially released her debut album "Gliding Bird" in 1969 via Jubilee Records. She then performed as part of a trio with Gerry Mule and Tom Guidera. In 1971, she joined musician Gram Parsons w who was looking for a female vocalist to collaborate with on his first solo album, "GP". She also toured with Parsons’ band, "The Fallen Angels", and the pair shone during vocal harmonies and duets.
- Emmylou then worked with Parsons on the studio album, "Grievous Angel" but Parsons died in his motel room on 19th September 1973 before the album could be released. The album was released posthumously in the year 1974. Three more tracks from his sessions with Harris were included on another posthumous Parsons album, "Sleepless Nights", in 1976.
- In the year 1975, she released her second album, "Pieces of the Sky" which launched her career as a solo artist. The album contained the hit songs, 'If I Could Only Win Your Love' and ‘Too Far Gone’.
- "Elite Hotel", the third studio album of Emmylou was released in December 1975. "Elite Hotel" won a Grammy in 1976 for Best Country Vocal Performance, Female.
- After that, she released her album "Luxury Liner" in January 1977 via Reprise Records. She released her next album "Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town" in the year 1978. The album reached No. 3 on the Billboard charts. It featured the song, 'To Daddy', written by Dolly Parton, and the single 'Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight'.
- Her next album "Blue Kentucky Girl" was largely made up of classic-styled country material in the vein of Loretta Lynn and Kitty Wells. The album was released in 1979 via Warner Bros. Records.
- In the 1980s, Harris explored country music's history further with the bluegrass-oriented recording of "Roses in the Snow". In 1980, she recorded "That Lovin' You Feelin' Again" with Roy Orbison.
- In January 1981, she released her album "Evangeline" via Warner Bros. Records followed by "Cimarron" in 1981, "White Shoes" in 1983, "The Ballad of Sally Rose" in 1985, "Thirteen" in 1986, and "Angel Band" in 1987.
- In 1989, she brought out the album "Bluebird", which was an eclectic collection of songs by Tom Rush, Rodney Crowell, and the McGarrigle Sisters. It had her top-ten country-charting single, "Heartbreak Hill".
- Her album "Cowgirl’s Prayer" which was released in 1993 was a collection of mostly subdued songs with a couple of rocks thrown in. In 1995, she released the album "Wrecking Ball" in which she experimented with different sounds. The album became famous for its atmospheric sounds and was reviewed positively.
- She next brought the album "Red Dirt Girl" in 2000 which reached No. 3 on the Billboard country album charts. In the year 2003, her album "Stumble into Grace" was released. It peaked at No. 6 on the Billboard country albums chart. The album "All I Intended to Be" was released in 2008 and reached No. 4 on Top Country Albums. It spawned the single 'How She Could Sing the Wildwood Flower' and was nominated for a Grammy Award.
- She brought out the album "Hard Bargain" in 2011 which debuted at No. 3 on the U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums. The opening number, 'The Road' was about her late mentor Gram Parsons.
- Her next album "Old Yellow Moon" was released on 26th February 2013. The album is a collaborative album by American country music singer-songwriters Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. It is the twenty-seventh and fourteenth studio album for both Harris and Crowell.
- "The Traveling Kind", a collaboration with Rodney Crowell, was released on May 12, 2015, by Nonesuch Records.
- In the year 2016, she was honored with a tribute concert entitled The Life & Songs of Emmylou Harris, which was later released as both a DVD and a live CD.
- She next performed at the 2019 Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum Concert and Induction Ceremony. "Ramble in Music City: The Lost Concert" was released by Nonesuch Records in the year 2021.
Who is Emmylou Harris's husband?
Emmylou Harris has been married three times. Her first marriage was to the songwriter, Tom Slocum in 1969. Their marriage lasted for a year which ended via divorce in 1970. Her second marriage was with Brian Ahern in 1977 which also ended in divorce in 1984. She then tied the knot for the third time in 1985. Her marriage with her third husband, Paul Kennerley too ended via divorce in 1993. Harris is single as of now and she is not dating anyone right now.
Harris had a daughter namely Mika Hallie Slocum (born on March 15, 1970) with her first husband, Tom Slocum. She also had a daughter, Meghann Ahern (born on September 9, 1979) with her second husband, Brian Ahern. She has a granddaughter who was born in 2009 and a grandson who was born in 2012.
How much is Emmylou Harris's net worth?
Emmylou Harris is a singer-songwriter who began a successful solo career that has lasted for over 40 years. She has sold more than 20 million records. To date, she has released 26 studio albums (including four albums of collaborations with other artists), four live albums, 11 compilation albums, three video albums, and 70 singles. Her main source of wealth comes from the music industry.
Emmylou Harris is a talented singer who has accumulated a net worth of $15 million as of 2023. She made this fortune by releasing several albums and songs. She also possesses branded cars in her garage and she is living in a big bungalow of her own. She lives a lavish lifestyle from her career earnings.
How tall is Emmylou Harris?
Emmylou Harris is a beautiful singer who has unique voices in country, pop, rock, and folk music. She has gray hair color while she has got a mesmerizing blue eyes color. She has got a healthy body.
Emmylou Harris is 5 feet 5 inches or 1.65 m or 165 cm tall and her body weight measures 58 KG. She has an average body type. She is very conscious about her food intake and she is a vegetarian.
Trivias About Emmylou Harris You Need To Know.
- She is an animal lover who named her rescue center – Bonaparte Retreat – in Nashville after her dog died in 2002.
- She is a strong advocate for women’s rights. She has performed many times at the Lilith Fair, which is an all-female concert.
- She is a fervent supporter of the LGBT community and believes in equal rights.
- She did not start as a country singer; she originally started her career in folk music.
- She won 14 Grammy Awards over the course of her career.