Last updated on June 25th, 2023 at 04:18 am
Facts About Eric Braeden
|Celebrated Name||Eric Braeden|
|Age||82 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Eric Braeden|
|Birth Name||Hans-Jörg Gudegast|
|Place Of Birth||Bredenbek|
|Height||6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m)|
|University||Montana State University, Missoula MT, Santa Moni|
|Best Known For||The Young and the Restless|
|Net Worth||$25 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Entertainment Industry|
|Awards||Soap Hub Awards and more|
|College / University||University of Montana and Santa Monica College|
Eric Braeden is a renowned film and television actor known for his long-running role as Victor Newman on the popular CBS soap opera, "The Young and the Restless". Braeden has also appeared in numerous films and television series, including his role as Hans Dietrich in the 1960s TV series "The Rat Patrol", as Dr. Charles Forbin in "Colossus: The Forbin Project", and as John Jacob Astor IV in the 1997 blockbuster film "Titanic". In 1998, he won the Daytime Emmy Award for Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Victor Newman in "The Young and the Restless", which he has played since 1980, making him one of the longest-running actors on the show. Eric is currently married to his wife, Dale Russell since 1966.
Despite being born in Germany, Braeden has had a successful career in American film and television, starting with his role as a guest star in the TV series "Combat!" in 1965. He has also made appearances in popular shows like "The Six Million Dollar Man", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", and "Murder, She Wrote. With over five decades in the industry, Braeden has become a household name, recognized for his talent and contribution to the entertainment industry.
Where is Eric Braeden from?
Eric Braeden, originally named Hans-Jörg Gudegast, was born on April 3, 1941. He is from Bredenbek, Germany, and was born to a Caucasian family. His father served as the town's mayor but passed away when Eric was only 12 years old. In his autobiography, titled I'll Be Damned, published by Harper Collins in 2017, Braeden revealed that he was a survivor of the MV Wilhelm Gustloff sinking. In pursuit of his acting dreams, Eric immigrated to the United States when he was 18 years old. While there is no available information about his siblings, Eric attended the University of Montana and Santa Monica College where he was known as a good student and athlete. He celebrated his 81st birthday in 2022. Eric is German when it comes to his nationality and his ethnicity is Caucasian-White. Aries is his zodiac sign as per his birthdate.
Despite his academic achievements, Eric always had a passion for acting and performing, which he pursued from an early age. His desire to become an actor brought him to Hollywood, where he landed his first major role in the film Colossus: The Forbin Project. Since then, Eric has become a well-known figure in the entertainment industry, with a successful career spanning over three decades.
How was the career of Eric Braeden?
- Eric Braeden had a successful career in TV and film with over 120 guest-star roles under his birth name, Hans Gudegast. He played a German soldier in several episodes of the TV series "Combat!" during the 1960s and appeared in the film "Morituri" with Marlon Brando and Yul Brynner. He also played the role of "T.H.R.U.S.H." agent Mr. Oakes in a season two episode of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." titled 'The Discotheque Affair'.
- In 1966, the German-born actor Eric Braeden guest-starred in an episode of "Twelve O'Clock High" as Luftwaffe Major Bentz and also appeared in an episode of the espionage drama "Blue Light". He then landed a regular starring role as Hauptmann (Captain) Hans Dietrich in the World War II drama "The Rat Patrol", which he played for two years.
- Braeden continued to act in films and television, and in 1969, he starred in the western movie "100 Rifles" with Raquel Welch, Burt Reynolds, and Jim Brown. He played a villainous German military officer opposite Fernando Lamas in the film, which featured the first big-screen interracial love scene between Welch and Brown. This was Braeden's last credit under his birth name.
- Eric Braeden then took on his stage name after being told by Lew Wasserman of Universal Pictures that no one with a German name would be allowed to star in an American film. He chose "Braeden" from his hometown of Bredenbek. His first film under his new name was "Colossus: The Forbin Project" in 1970. He went on to star in a number of other films throughout the 1970s, including "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" and "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo", as well as making guest appearances on a variety of television shows including The Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and also appeared in several episodes of the long-running CBS western series Gunsmoke.
- In 1997, Braeden played the role of Colonel John Jacob Astor IV in the blockbuster film "Titanic." He described filming the scene in which his character drowns as one of the scariest moments in his career.
- Braeden's most famous role is that of Victor Newman, a self-made business magnate on the daytime soap opera "The Young and the Restless", which he has played since 1980. Initially, his contract was for a 26-week run, but his character became so popular that the role was extended. Braeden won a Daytime Emmy for his work on the show in 1998, and as of 2023, he has been with the show for over 40 years. In 2009, Braeden's contract negotiations with "The Young and the Restless" hit a snag, and there were reports that he might leave the show. However, he later signed a new three-year deal with the show, agreeing to a reduction in salary, which was the original issue. Despite the contract negotiations, Braeden remains one of the most beloved and respected actors on the show, and his portrayal of Victor Newman has become a television icon.
- In addition to his successful acting career, Braeden has also ventured into the field of writing. In 2017, he published a memoir titled “I’ll Be Damned: How My Young and Restless Life Led Me to America’s #1 Daytime Drama,” which provides a detailed account of his life and professional journey. The book not only delves into his achievements in the entertainment industry but also sheds light on his struggles as an immigrant in the United States.
Eric Braeden Awards and Achievements
- Won Soap Hub Awards in 2020 for his work in The Young and the Restless
- Won Soap Awards France for his work in The Young and the Restless in 2017
- Won Friend of German Award from the American Association of Teachers of German in 2009
- Won Gilmore Award the Pacific Pioneers, a radio and television industry group in 2007
- Won the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007
- Won Soap Opera Digest Award in 2001 for his work in The Young and the Restless
- Won Daytime Emmy Award for his work in The Young and the Restless in 1998
- Won Soap Opera Digest Award for his work in The Young and the Restless in 1997
- Won People's Choice Awards for his work in The Young and the Restless in 1992
- Won Distinguished German-American of the Year in 1990
- Won Soap Opera Digest Award for his work in The Young and the Restless in 1989
Who is Eric Braeden married to?
Eric Braeden has been happily married to his college sweetheart, Dale Russell Gudegast, since October 8th, 1966. Together, they have raised their son Christian Gudegast, who is a successful director in Hollywood. Christian has directed films such as Den of Thieves, which starred Gerard Butler, and also wrote the film Man Apart, starring Vin Diesel.
Despite the pressures and challenges of working in the entertainment industry, Eric Braeden and his wife Dale have maintained a strong and loving relationship. They have enjoyed a happy and successful marriage, and their son Christian has continued the family's tradition of making a mark in the film industry. Eric Braeden's sexual orientation is straight, and he has been devoted to his wife and family throughout his long and distinguished career.
Eric Braeden is recognized for his charitable efforts. Throughout the years, he has actively participated in several non-profit organizations such as the Alzheimer’s Association and the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.
How much is Eric Braeden's net worth?
Eric Braeden is a successful film and television actor with a net worth of $25 million as of 2023. His long-running role as Victor Newman on the soap opera “The Young and the Restless” has been a major contributor to his wealth, along with his work in film and television over the years. His main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry. In addition to his acting career, Braeden has also been involved in various business ventures and investments, which have helped to increase his overall net worth. It is likely that his net worth will continue to grow as he has not yet retired from the entertainment industry.
Although Eric Braeden's exact salary is unknown, it is known that he earned $3000 per episode for his role on “The Young and the Restless.” Braeden's net worth is a reflection of his successful career in acting, which he has been involved in for over three decades. With his talent and experience, it is clear that Braeden will continue to make an impact in the entertainment industry for years to come. He is living a lavish lifestyle right now.
How tall is Eric Braeden?
Eric Braeden stands tall at an impressive height of 6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m) and has a weight of 83 kg, which is considered to be healthy for his height. He has an average body type with a charming smile and a glowing face that attracts a lot of people toward him. Despite his age, he maintains a good physique and seems to have a disciplined lifestyle that includes regular exercise and a healthy diet. His hair color is black and he has a pair of dark brown eyes.
Eric's towering height and striking features have undoubtedly contributed to his success as an actor. He has always been admired for his commanding presence onscreen, and his physical attributes have added to his onscreen appeal. His fans appreciate his healthy body and are inspired by his dedication to maintaining a fit and active lifestyle.
Eric Braeden underwent knee surgery and shared the news on social media. Despite being an active tweeter, he did not give any prior indication of the procedure. In a post-surgery photo, Braeden can be seen in a hospital gown, using a walker for assistance and with a heavily bandaged left knee. However, he remained positive and even raised a fist to show his determination to overcome the challenge. Braeden captioned the photo by stating that he was thinking of his fans.
Trivias About Eric Braeden You Need To Know.
- Eric Braeden was born as Hans-Jörg Gudegast in Germany. He moved to the United States when he was 18 years old and attended the University of Montana and Santa Monica College.
- Braeden is best known for his role as Victor Newman on the CBS soap opera The Young and the Restless, a role he has played since 1980.
- He won a Daytime Emmy Award in 1998 for Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his work on The Young and the Restless.
- He is also involved in philanthropic work, supporting organizations such as the Alzheimer's Association and the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.