Erislandy Lara - Bio, Net Worth, Story, Wife, Nationality, Age, Parents, Family, Height, Weight, Wiki, Record, Ranking, Titles, Purse, Facts, Children
Erislandy Lara Santoya, professionally known as Erislandy Lara is a Cuban-American professional boxer. Considered one of the most technically skilled active boxers, Lara is also considered one of the best active light middleweight boxers. He is the current WBA (Regular) light middleweight champion. He previously won WBA light middleweight title in 2014 and IBO light middleweight in 2015. He made numerous title defenses before losing his titles to Jarrett Hurd in April 2018.
On the national level, he won three consecutive national championships. He captained the Cuban national amateur team that won a gold medal at the 2005 World Championship and a silver medal at the 2005 World Cup. He successfully defected from Cuba in his second attempt in 2008. Following his failed first attempt, he was banned from practicing boxing in Cuba.
As of March 2021, Lara has a record of 27-3 including 3 draws.
What is Erislandy Lara Famous For?
- Considered one of the best light middleweight boxers.
Where is Erislandy Lara From?
Erislandy Lara was born on 11 April 1983. His birth name is Erislandy Lara Santoya. His birth place is in Guantanamo in Cuba. He holds Cuban as well as American nationality. He defected from Cuba in 2008. He became a US citizen in February 2017. He belongs to Cuban ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. His zodiac sign is Aries.
Lara was born to a mother, Marisol. He never met his father. Lara and his younger sister were raised by their grandmother, Silvia.
Erislandy Lara Career
- As an amateur boxer, Lara lost four-time against Cuban boxer and two-time world champion, Lorenzo Aragon.
- After Aragon stepped down, Lara rose to prominence and was sent to the world championships.
- He won a gold medal at the 2005 world championships in Mianyang defeating Andrey Balanov, Boyd Melson, Bakhtiyar Artayev, and Magomed Murutdinov.
- He then won the silver medal at the 2005 World Cup in Moscow, Russia. He was defeated by Russian Andrey Balanov in the final.
- Lara was considered a favorite to win the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
- However, Lara and Guillermo Rigondeaux attempted defection from Cuba during the Pan American Games in Brazil.
- He was caught by Brazilian authorities and returned to Cuba.
- He was banned from practicing boxing indefinitely in Cuba.
- He made a successful defection on his second attempt in 2008. He went on a speed boat to Mexico. He eventually reached Germany and joined former Olympic champions Odlanier Solis, Yan Barthelemy, and Yuriorkis Gamboa in the Arena Box-Promotion stable.
- Lara continued to practice boxing and turned professional in 2008.
- He defeated Ivan Maslov in July 2008 and Deniss Aleksejevs in September 2008.
- He moved to the United States in 2009 to continue his boxing career.
- He made his ESPN debut in January 2009. He defeated Rodrigo Aguiar via first-round TKO in his ESPN debut.
- He went on a winning streak defeating several boxers until March 2011.
- During the time, he defeated Keith Gross in February 2009, Chris Gray in May 2009, Edwin Vazquez in May 2009, Darnell Boone in July 2009, Jose Varela in September 2009, Luciano Perez in December 2009, Grady Brewer in January 2010, Danny Perez in April 2010, William Correa in July 2010, and Willie Lee in August 2010.
- He defeated Tim Connors via TKO in November 2010 to win the vacant WBA Fedelatin light middleweight title.
- He then defeated Delray Raines in January 2011 before recording the first draw of his professional boxing career.
- Lara's fight with Carlos Molina in March 2011 ended in a draw.
- He suffered the first professional loss of his career in a controversial fight in July 2011. He lost to Paul Williams on a majority decision with the final scorecard, 116-114, 115-114, and 114-114.
- He then defeated Ronald Hearns in April 2012 and Freddy Hernandez in June 2012.
- His fight with Vanes Martirosyan in 2012 ended in a draw.
- He defeated Alfredo Angulo to win the vacant WBA interim super welterweight title in June 2013.
- He retained his WBA interim super welterweight title against Austin Trout in December 2013. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
- Lara suffered the second professional loss of his career in July 2014. He lost the fight against Saul Alvarez via unanimous decision.
- He successfully defended his WBA (Regular) super welterweight title by unanimous decision victory over Alamodome in December 2014.
- Lara defended his WBA (Regular) super welterweight title and won the vacant IBO super middleweight title against Delvin Rodriguez in June 2015.
- He defended his WBA as well as IBO super welterweight titles against Jaz Naveck in November 2015.
- He defended his titles against Vanes Martirosyan in May 2016 in Las Vegas.
- He defended his titles against former WBA super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman in January 2017. He won the fight via TKO in the fourth round.
- He defended his titles against Terrell Gausha in October 2017. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
- He lost the unified light middleweight title against Jarrett Hurd in April 2018. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
- Hurd later rejected the rematch between the two.
- His fight with Brian Castano for the WBA world super welterweight title in March 2019 ended in a split-decision draw.
- He won the vacant WBA super welterweight title defeating Ramon Alvarez via TKO in the second round.
- He defended his title against Greg Vendetti via a unanimous decision in August 2020. He also won the vacant IBO super welterweight title defeating Vendetti.
- He will face Thomas LaManna for the vacant WBA (Regular) middleweight title in May 2021.
Erislandy Lara Wife and Children
Erislandy Lara is a married man. He is married to Yudi Lara. He has four children altogether.
He has two sons, Erislandy and Roberlandy from his previous relationship. There is not much information about Lara's family and children. More details on his personal life will be updated soon.
Erislandy Lara Height and Weight
Erislandy Lara stands at a height of 1.75 m i.e. 5 feet and 9 inches tall. He has a reach of 1.92 m. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Erislandy Lara Net Worth
Erislandy Lara earns from his career as a professional boxer. He has spent his entire life in boxing. From a defector to becoming one of the best boxers in the world, Lara has a record of 27-3-3, as of March 2021. He earns hundreds of thousands in a purse from his every fight. He bagged a career-high purse after he faced Jarrett Hurd in 2018. Summing up, Lara has made his fortune from his professional boxing career. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated at around $2 million.
Trivias About Erislandy Lara You Need To Know.
- He took boxing because of his amateur boxer uncle, Santoya.
- He went on a speed boat to Mexico on his second defection attempt.
- His stance is a southpaw.
- BoxRec ranked him the world's 3rd best active light middleweight in March 2021.
- The Ring magazine ranked him the world's second-best active light middleweight in 2021.
- Transnational Boxing Rankings Board ranked him 6th best active light middleweight in 2021.