Eva Kaili - Bio, Net Worth, Husband, Partner, Age, Party, Height, Wiki
Eva Kaili is a Greek politician. She is known for serving as a Member of the European Parliament since 2014. She is renowned for representing the Panhellenic Socialist Movement or PASOK. Moreover, she served as one of fourteen Vice Presidents of the European Parliament from January until she was arrested and charged with corruption in December 2022. On January 18, 2022, she received 454 votes to become one of the fourteen vice presidents of the European Parliament. She is also a former Member of the Hellenic Parliament and former television news presenter for the Greek television channel MEGA Channel.
European Parliament Vice-President Eva Kaili arrested by Belgian police in corruption probe
Following an investigation into organized crime, corruption, and money laundering connected to lobbying operations on behalf of Qatar, Kaili was arrested by Belgian Federal Police on December 9, 2022. A suitcase of cash was found with her father upon his arrest, and bags of cash were found at her home. On the same day, she was suspended from both the Socialists and Democratic Group with which she sits in the European Parliament and her national party PASOK.
Belgian Police searched 16 homes as part of the investigation and detained at least four people, including former MEP Antonio Panzeri, Kaili's partner and Marie Arena’s parliamentary assistant Francesco Giorgi, and Kaili’s father who was on a train with a large amount of cash despite being warned by an accomplice. Investigators found more than €600,000 in cash during the operations.
On 12 December 2022, the Greek Anti-Money Laundering Authority announced that it had frozen all assets of Kaili and her close family members which include all bank accounts, safes, companies, and other financial assets. The timing of the arrests coincided with the 2022 FIFA World Cup being hosted in Qatar. During the time, there was significant criticism of the hosts in the West, but during a speech at the European Parliament, Kaili praised the country's human rights record and criticized accusations of corruption made against Qatar.
What is Eva Kaili Famous For?
- Eva Kaili is a Greek politician serving as a Member of the European Parliament since 2014.
- She is famous for being the youngest member of the European Parliament with the PASOK party.
What is Eva Kaili Nationality?
Eva Kaili took birth on 26 October 1978 in Thessaloniki, Greece. She celebrated her 44th birthday in 2022. She is Greek when it comes to her nationality and her ethnicity is Greek-White. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio and her religion is Greek orthodox. She is the daughter of her father, Alexandros Kaili (Mechanical and electrical engineer), and her mother, Maria Ignatiadou. She has a younger sister namely Mantalena who is a lawyer. Mantalena is a consultant on European policy and legislation, while she is also the head of an NGO (ELONTech) that gives legal advice on new technologies. Mantalena has studied Law at AUTH and followed postgraduate studies in London.
Regarding her education, she studied architecture and civil engineering at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. She then continued her studies at the University of Piraeus. From there, she obtained a Master of Arts degree in International and European affairs in 2008. Since 2014, she has been pursuing a Ph.D. in International Economic Policy at the University of Piraeus. She is yet to complete her studies as of 2022.
Eva Kaili Political Career
- Eva Kaili, before penetrating her career in politics, worked at Mega Channel from 2004 to 2007 as a newscaster.
- Eva Kaili was the youngest candidate standing in the 2004 national elections. In the 2007 national elections, she was elected as a member of the Hellenic Parliament for the first district of Thessaloniki. Moreover, she was the youngest Member of Parliament with the PASOK party during the time. Next, she retained her seat in the 2009 national elections until 2012.
- Kaili has also participated in the Standing Committee on Cultural and Educational Affairs, the Standing Committee on National Defense and Foreign Affairs, and the Special Permanent Committee of Greeks Abroad during her time in the House of Representatives.
- Likewise, she has also participated in the Greek delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of NATO, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union for the Mediterranean, and the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC).
- Joining the European Parliament in 2014, she has been a member of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D) organization. She was kicked out of the group in 2022. She is currently a non-party candidate.
- Additionally, she holds the position of Vice President for Innovation Strategy, ICT, Technology, Foresight, Businesses, ESG and CSR, UN, WTO, OECD, and the Middle East. She was the first female Chair of the STOA body of the European Parliament from 2017 to 2022, Chair of the C4AI center for artificial intelligence, and Chair of the DNAT delegation for contacts with the NATO Parliamentary Assembly from 2014 to 2019. She has been a member of the Employment and Social Affairs Committee (ESAC), the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON), and the Committee on Industry, Research, and Energy (ITRE) (EMPL) as well.
- Kaili is also a member of the European Parliament’s Intergroup on Cancer, the Intergroup on Disability, the Delegation to the EU-Russia Parliamentary Cooperation Committee (D-RU), and the Delegation for Relations with the United States of America in addition to her committee responsibilities (D-US).
- She was the recipient of a 2018 MEP Award for New Technologies. On January 18, 2022, she was elected to the European Parliament’s Vice Presidency with 454 votes in the first round. She was suspended from her vice-presidential duties on 10 December.
- Between 2019 and 2022, she was the Head of the Hellenic S&D delegation until her expulsion from the party.
Who is Eva Kaili Husband?
Eva Kaili is a married woman to her handsome husband, Francesco Giorgi. Her partner/spouse works as an assistant in the office of an Italian MEP, in the group of European Socialists. They have been in a relationship since 2020. Together they have a daughter whose name is Aridni who was born in 2020. The happily married husband and wife are enjoying their present life a lot with their children. Her sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Eva Kaili Net Worth?
Eva Kaili is a renowned politician who has accumulated a net worth of $2 Million as of 2022. Her main source of wealth comes from her political career. She is making her annual salary in thousands of dollars. She lives a luxurious lifestyle right now.
How tall is Eva Kaili?
Eva Kaili stands at the height of 5 feet 7 inches or 1.7 m or 170 cm. Her body weight consists of 121 lbs or 55 KG. Her bodytype is slim. She wears a shoe size of 9 US and a dress size of 6 US. Her hair color is dyed blonde and she has a pair of blue eyes. She has got a healthy body at present.
How to follow Eva Kaili on social media?
Eva Kaili is active on social media. She is on Twitter under the account handle (@evakaili) where she has over 93K followers. On her Instagram profile (@evakaili), she has more than 49K followers and she has shared 602 posts with her fans. She also has her own website 'www.evakaili.gr'.
Trivias About Eva Kaili You Need To Know.
- She is a member of the European Parliament for Greece.
- In 2009, she was elected as a member of the Hellenic Parliament for the district of Thessaloniki.
- She used to work as a journalist and anchorwoman for a renowned TV channel.
- Previously, she was named the 'Sexiest Newscater' and now she is considered as one of the 'Hottest Female Politicians' in the world.
- Her older sister, Mantalena Kaili is a lawyer.