Fiame Naomi Mata'afa - Bio, Net Worth, Married, Husband, Parents, Family, Nationality, Age, Height, Wiki, Facts, Education, Political Party, Children
Fiame Naomi Mata'afa is a Samoan politician and High Chieftainess. The daughter of the first Prime Minister of Samoa, Fiame Mata'afa Faumuina Mulinu'u II, she became the first female Prime Minister of Samoa in 2021. The leader of Fa'atuatua i le Atua Samoa ua Tasi, Mata'afa won the 2021 election by majority vote to become the first Prime Minister of Samoa. However, defeated Prime Minister Tuila'epa Sa'iele Malielegaoi refused to leave office that leads to the 2021 Samoan constitutional crisis. Samoa's Court of Appeal ruled Mata'afa the Prime Minister of Samoa on 23 July 2021.
What is Fiame Naomi Mata'afa Famous For?
- First Female Prime Minister of Samoa.
Where is Fiame Naomi Mata'afa From?
Fiame Naomi Mata'afa was born on 29 April 1957. Her birth place is in Apia in Western Samoa. She holds Samoan nationality. She was born to her father, Mata'afa Faumuina Mulinu'u II, and her mother, Laulu Fetauimalemau Mata'afa. Her father was the first Prime minister of Samoa. Her father died in 1975. She has Samoan ethnicity.
Regarding her educational background, she attended Samuel Marsden Collegiate School. She later attended the Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand.
Fiame Naomi Mata'afa Political Career
- After her father died in 1975, her mother entered the parliament from the constituency of Lotofaga.
- After her mother retired from politics, Fiame Naomi Mata'afa' contested the seat.
- She was elected to one of his chiefly titles, Fiame from Lotofaga.
- She was invested with the Paramountly Chiefly title of Faumuina as her own father in 2008.
- She appeared as Fiame Naomi Mata'afa, Masiofo Amelia Mata'afa losefo in 2014.
- She was first elected to the Legislative Assembly of Samoa in the 1985 election, representing the constituency of Lotofaga previously held by her mother. She has been re-elected in every election since.
- She is one of the longest-serving members of Parliament. She became Samoa's first female Cabinet Minister after she was appointed the Minister of Education in May 1991.
- She held the Ministry of Education from 1991 to 2006.
- She left the position in 2006 after she was appointed the Minister of Women, Community & Social Development.
- She served as Minister of Justice from 2011 to 2016.
- She was elected deputy leader of the Human Rights Protection Party in March 2016. She defeated Faumuina Tiatia Liuga in a caucus vote.
- She was sworn in as Samoa's first female deputy prime minister on 19 March 2016. She was also appointed Minister of Natural Resources and Environment.
- Prime Minister of Samoa, Tuilaepa Aiono Sailele Malielegaoi publicly rebuked Mata'afa in September 2020 after she announced the wishes of her constituency and vote against the controversial Constitution Amendment Bill, Land and Titles Bill, and Judicature Bill.
- She resigned from the Cabinet on 11 September 2020.
- She then rejected the offer to become the leader of Fa'atuatua i le Atua Samoa ua Tasi (FAST).
- However, she later announced to join FAST in January 2021.
- She was elected to the leader of FAST in March 2021.
- She served as Pro-Chancellor and Chairperson of the University of the South Pacific from 2006 to 2012.
- She launched the Women in Climate Change Initiative (WiCC) in 2018. She is also the patron of WiCC.
- She was unopposed and re-elected to her Lotofaga during the 2021 general election in April 2021.
- She defeated Prime Minister Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi but Malielegaoi refused to leave office.
- It led to the 2021 Samoan constitutional crisis.
- Samoa's Court of Appeal resolved the crisis on 23 July 2021 ruling Mata'afa had been Prime Minister since 24 May.
Who is Fiame Naomi Mata'afa Husband?
Fiame Naomi Mata'afa is reportedly not married. Having spent most of her career in politics, she became the first female Prime Minister of Samoa. Not many details about her personal life, husband, and children are available. Seems like she chose to focus on politics rather than getting married and have a family.
What is Fiame Naomi Mata'afa Net Worth?
Fiame Naomi Mata'afa is a politician, the first female Prime Minister of Samoa. The daughter of the first Prime Minister of Samoa, she has spent the majority of her life in politics. There is no detailed information about her wealth. Thus, her net worth is not available at present.
Trivias About Fiame Naomi Mata'afa You Need To Know.
- Her mother was a diplomat, educator, and politician.
- Her maternal grandfather, Le Mamea Matatumua Ata was one of the framers of the Samoan constitution.
- Mata'afa is one of the "royal" family titles, referred to as the Tama-a-Aiga.
- Mata'afa is a member of the Congregational Christian Church of Samoa at Lotofaga.