Facts About Frances McDormand
|Celebrated Name||Frances McDormand|
|Age||66 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Cynthia Ann Smith|
|Place Of Birth||Gibson City, Illinois, U.S.|
|High School||Monessen High School|
|Source of Wealth||Acting career|
|Net Worth||$30 million|
|Height||5 ft 5 in or 165 cm|
|Weight||67 kg or 147.5 lbs|
Cynthia Ann Smith, an American actress, and producer is professionally known as Frances McDormand. She is well recognized for winning the Academy Awards for her roles in the 1996 film "Fargo" and the 2017 film "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri". She made her Broadway debut in a 1984 revival of the drama "Awake and Sing!", and received a nomination for the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play. She made her film debut in "Blood Simple" in 1984. She has also voiced the character Captain Chantel DuBois in the 2012 film "Madagascar 3". McDormand produced and starred in Chloe Zhao's "Nomadland" in 2020, playing Fern, a nomad in the American West. Her performance in "Nomadland" is one that few other actors could have replicated, requiring a delicate touch as a wise observer of the lives of the nomad.
- Being an American actress and producer.
- For winning the Academy Awards for her roles in the 1996 film "Fargo".
What is the Nationality of Frances McDormand?
Born with the name of Cynthia Ann Smith on 23rd June 1957, Frances McDormand holds American nationality and she belongs to American-white ethnic background. Her birthplace is Gibson City, Illinois, U.S., and her religion is Christian. McDormand's present age is 64 which she recently celebrated in the June of 2021. As per her birth date, her zodiac sign is Cancer. Thus, her race is white. She was adopted at one and a half years of age by Noreen McDormand (mother) and Vernon McDormand (father) and renamed Frances Louise McDormand. Her adoptive mother was a nurse and receptionist while her adoptive father was a Disciples of Christ pastor; both were originally from Canada. She also has a sister, Dorothy A. "Dot" McDormand, who is an ordained Disciples of Christ minister and chaplain, as well as she has a brother, Kenneth, both of whom also were adopted by the McDormand's, who had no biological children.
Regarding Frances's education qualification, she graduated from Monessen High School in 1975. She attended Bethany College in West Virginia, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in theater in 1979. In 1982, she earned a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Yale School of Drama.
How was the Career of Frances McDormand?
- Frances McDormand kicks off her acting career starring in the film, "In a Fine Castle" whereas she made her film debut in "Blood Simple" in 1984 and appeared in Sam Raimi's "Crimewave", as well as an episode of "Hunter" in 1985.
- She appeared as eccentric friend Dot in "Raising Arizona" in 1987 and also she played Connie Chapman in the fifth season of the television police drama "Hill Street Blues".
- She then appeared as Stella Kowalski in a stage production of Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire" in 1988 after which she was seen in "Mississippi Burning" (1988).
- Likewise, she has starred in numerous film and TV series such as "Hidden Agenda" (1990), "Fargo" (1996), "Primal Fear" (1996), "Hidden in America" (1996), "Madeline" (1998).
- As well, she was seen in "Almost Famous" (2000) for which she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress.
- She then won Best Supporting Actress from the Florida Film Critics Circle and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association for her role in "Wonder Boys" (2000).
- Frances starred alongside Robert De Niro in the crime drama "City by the Sea", and as free-spirited record producer Jane in "Laurel Canyon" in 2002.
- She starred in Nicole Holofcener's dark comedy "Friends with Money" (2006) and also voiced the role of the principal Melanie Upfoot in "The Simpsons" episode "Girls Just Want to Have Sums", which aired on 30th April 2006.
- In the animated film "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" (2012), Frances voiced Captain Chantel Dubois and also sang a version of the French song "Non, je ne regrette rien".
- She co-produced "Olive Kitteridge" which HBO aired a four-part miniseries in November 2014 based upon the series of short stories by Elizabeth Strout.
- As well, she voiced Momma Ida in the Pixar animated film "The Good Dinosaur" in 2015 and also voiced Interpreter Nelson in Wes Anderson's stop-motion animated film "Isle of Dogs" in 2018.
- In 2020, she produced and starred in Chloe Zhao's "Nomadland", playing Fern, a nomad in the American West.
- Frances became the first actor to win Oscars for both acting and producing in the same year at the 93rd Academy Awards.
- Furthermore, she appeared as Lucinda Krementz in the film, "The French Dispatch" in 2021 whereas she will be starring as Lady Macbeth in "The Tragedy of Macbeth".
Awards and Achivements
- Academy Awards
- British Academy Film Awards for Best Film Actress in a Leading Role
- Golden Globe Awards for Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
- Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Television Movie
- Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
- American Comedy Awards for Funniest Actress in a Motion Picture (Leading Role)
- National Board of Review for Best Supporting Actress
- Satellite Awards for Best Miniseries or Motion Picture - Television
- Online Film and Television Association Awards for Best Lead Actress
Who is Frances McDormand Husband?
Frances McDormand is a married woman. She has been married to director Joel Coen since 1984. In 1995, they adopted a son from Paraguay, Pedro McDormand Coen, when he was six months old. The couple met when Frances auditioned for "Blood Simple", the directorial debut of the Coen Brothers. Moreover, McDormand is straight by sexual orientation.
What is the Net Worth of Frances McDormand?
The net worth of versatile actress, Frances McDormand is $30 million as of 2021 whereas her exact amount of salary has not been revealed yet. She has been in the film industry for quite a long time. She has no doubt amassed a huge fortune with the bulk of her wealth coming from her professional acting career. Frances has not done any endorsement work for any brands.
How tall is Frances McDormand?
Frances McDormand stands at an ideal height of 5 ft 5 in or 165 cm with a balanced body weight of 67 kg or 147.5 lbs. She has a slim body build with a chin dimple. Frances has blue eyes and brown hair color. She definitely has a pretty face and a magnetic personality which has cast a spell over her viewers over the years. McDormand's body measures are unknown till now.
Trivias About Frances McDormand You Need To Know.
- Frances was the first cover star of 2021 of the fashion magazine, Vogue.
- She studied at Yale University and was roommates with fellow actress Holly Hunter.
- Jason Lee was her co-star in the film Almost Famous.
- She is among a select group of actresses who have won the prestigious Triple Crown of Acting with a Tony, Emmy, and Oscar award to their names.
- McDormand made her Broadway debut in a 1984 revival of the drama "Awake and Sing!".