Facts About Frankie Edgar
|41 Years Old
|Martial Artist , Martial Artist
|Place Of Birth
|Toms River, New Jersey
|Toms River High School
|Clarion University of Pennsylvania
|3; Francesco, Santino and Valentina
|Source of Wealth
|1.68 m or 5 feet 6 inches
|135 lbs or 61 Kg or 9 st 9 lb
|68 in or 173 cm
Frankie Edgar is a professional mixed martial artist from the USA who is one of the renowned names in the sports world. He currently competes in the bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). He is the former UFC lightweight champion as well. He competed at featherweight, challenging for the UFC Featherweight Championship on three occasions after capturing and defending his lightweight title multiple times. As of 9th November 2021, he is #12 in the UFC bantamweight rankings. His stance is Orthodox. Today, he is part of the Gracie system under Ricardo Almeida in Hamilton, New Jersey, who is part of the Gracie Barra team. He is nicknamed "The Answer".
What is Frankie Edgar Famous For?
- Being an American professional MMA artist.
- For competing in the bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
- Being a former UFC lightweight champion.
- For his unique grappling and striking styles.
Where is Frankie Edgar from? Know About His Family, Ethnicity, and Education
Frankie Edgar was born with the real name of Frank James Edgar on 16th October 1981. He was born and raised in Toms River, New Jersey, the USA. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed. About his parents, his father's name is Frank Edgar and his mother's name is Mary (née Annese). He is the oldest of 3 children. Thus, he has two siblings. He is of predominantly Italian descent, with an Italian-born mother, stepfather, and paternal grandfather, but he also has some German ancestry on his biological father's side as well. His Zodiac sign falls under Libra and his religion is Christianity. He cut his 40th birthday cake as of 2021.
Focusing on his education, Frankie wrestled at Toms River High School East, making it to the New Jersey state championship tournament on three occasions, placing second as a junior and fifth as a senior. He went on to compete in the NHSCA Senior Nationals, placing second before he finished high school. He continued wrestling at the Clarion University of Pennsylvania, where he qualified for the nationals all four years there. He is also an assistant coach for the Rutgers University wrestling team.
Frankie Edgar Career Timeline
- Frankie Edgar's started his MMA fight after training a few weeks outside of his wrestling background.
- He trained with Rob Guarino of the Rhino Fight Team.
- He wrestled with Steve Rivera at Elite Wrestling NJ when he was in his seventh grade.
- At that time, his boxing trainer is Mark Henry of Millstone, New Jersey.
- Moving towards his UFC career, he made his debut match against Tyson Griffin at UFC 67 winning via unanimous decision.
- Following this, he fought against Mark Bocek at UFC winning via TKO.
- He made his main card debut at UFC 78 against veteran fighter Spencer Fisher which he won via unanimous decision.
- He lost his first match at UFC Fight Night 13 against Gray Maynard.
- He gained victory fighting against Hermes Franca at UFC Fight Night 14.
- Next, he defeated former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk.
- He fought against Matt Veach becoming the aggressor in the second round by punishing Veach with strikes and ultimately knocking Veach down with a straight right proceeding to take Veach's back and finishing him with a rear-naked choke at 2:22 into the second round.
- Then, he was matched against Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn at UFC 112 which he won via unanimous decision and was awarded the UFC Lightweight Championship.
- ESPN announced Edgar as a nominee for Best Upset of the Year at the 2010 ESPY Awards on 24th June 2010.
- After that, he defeated Penn via unanimous decision to retain the UFC Lightweight Championship.
- His next title defense was against Gray Maynard, the only man to have defeated Edgar, in a rematch from UFC Fight Night 13 on 1st January 2011.
- At UFC 125, Edgar won against Gray Maynard via KO at 3:54 of round 4.
- On 26th February 2012, he fought against Benson Henderson at UFC 144 which he lost.
- He faced another loss fighting against Jose Aldo via unanimous decision.
- On July 6, 2013, at UFC 162, Edgar won via unanimous decision against Charles Oliveira.
- He next faced Cub Swanson on November 22, 2014, at UFC Fight Night 57 which he won. The win also earned Edgar his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
- On 11th December 2015, he faced Chad Mendes and won the fight by knockout in the first round.
- On 9th July 2016, he faced Jose Aldo at UFC 200 for the interim UFC Featherweight Championship in which Edgar lost via unanimous decision.
- He grabbed his victory facing against Jeremy Stephens on 12th November 2016 at UFC 205.
- On 13th May 2017, he faced Yair Rodriguez in which he won via TKO.
- He was scheduled to face Max Holloway on December 2, 2017, at UFC 218; however, on 8th November 2017, he pulled out from the fight, citing injury.
- On 21st April 2018, he faced Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 128 which
- Edgar won via unanimous decision.
- Edgar lost the fight via unanimous decision to Max Holloway on 27th July 2019 at UFC 240. Again, he lost to Brian Ortega via technical knockout in the first round.
- He renewed his new contract with the UFC when his only one fight was left on his contract.
- He was scheduled to make his bantamweight debut and face Pedro Munhoz on July 15, 2020, at UFC Fight Night 172 but it was announced on 6th July 2020 stating that Munhoz was pulled from the bout after testing positive for COVID-19.
- The match was then rescheduled on 22nd August 2020 at UFC on ESPN 15 which Edgar won the back-and-forth fight via split decision.
- He next faced Cory Sandhagen at UFC Fight Night 184 on 6th February 2021 in which he lost the fight via knockout in the opening minute of the fight.
- He faced Marlon Vera on 6th November 2021 at UFC 268. Again, he lost the bout via third-round KO after getting caught with a front kick.
- Regarding his MMA record, he has fought altogether 35 matches till now out of which, he won 24 matches and lost 10 matches.
Frankie Edgar Awards and Achievements
Ultimate Fighting Championship
UFC Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Three successful title defenses
- Fight of the Night (Eight times) vs. Tyson Griffin, Hermes França, Matt Veach, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson, José Aldo, Charles Oliveira, and Pedro Munhoz
- Knockout of the Night (One time) vs. Gray Maynard
- Performance of the Night (Two times) vs. Cub Swanson and Chad Mendes
- Tied for most Fight of the Night bonuses in UFC history (8) (w. Nate Diaz)
- Greatest total fight time in UFC history (7:40:51)
- Reality Fighting Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Fight of the Year (2011) vs. Gray Maynard on January 1
- 2011 All-Violence Second Team
- 2014 All-Violence First Team
- 2017 Beatdown of the Year vs. Yair Rodríguez
World MMA Awards
- Fight of the Year (2011) vs. Gray Maynard on January 1
- 2012 Fight of the Year vs. Benson Henderson at UFC 144
Frankie Edgar Wife: Who is he married to?
Frankie Edgar is a married man to his beautiful wife, Renee. The lovely pair tied a knot ten days after UFC Fight Night 13 in the year 2008. The duo is also blessed with three children; two sons and a daughter namely Francesco (born in January 2009), Santino James (born in May 2010), and Valentina (born in June 2014). He is currently residing in Toms River, New Jersey. As per his sexuality, he is straight.
Frankie Edgar Net Worth and Salary
Frankie Edgar is a professional fighter and he has made a fortune amount of salary and his total salary boosted his net worth. His estimated net worth is $3 million as of November 2021. His championships and his victories have contributed well towards such net worth. Whereas his exact annual salary, income, and career earnings are still a mystery. Without a doubt, he is satisfied with his earnings. He is living a lavish lifestyle today. His main source of wealth comes from his fighting career.
Frankie Edgar Height and Weight: How tall is he?
Frankie Edgar is a handsome MMA fighter whose body type is muscular body build. He has a perfect standing height of 1.68 m or 5 feet 6 inches. His body weight consists of 135 lbs or 61 Kg or 9 st 9 lb. His other body measurements such as chest size, waist size, bicep size, and more are still to get disclosed yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body with a charming personality. His highest reach is 68 in or 173 cm. He has inked a lot of tattoos on his body.
Trivias About Frankie Edgar You Need To Know.
- Edgar is signed as a part of KHK MMA Fight Team, a Bahrain-based stable of international and Bahraini fighters financially backed by team founder Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa, First Deputy President of the Supreme Council for Youth and Sports in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- On December 21, 2016, Edgar signed with Brave Combat Federation to make his on-camera debut as a color commentator.
- Edgar was a featured fighter on True Life: I'm a Mixed Martial Artist leading up to his first fight with Maynard.
- He appears in all three "UFC Undisputed" video games (2009, 2010, UFC Undisputed 3) and also EA Sports UFC, EA Sports UFC 2, EA Sports UFC 3 and EA Sports UFC 4.
- He was featured as a ringside commentator for the third edition of Brave Combat Federation in Curitiba, Brazil.
- He also competed in collegiate wrestling out of the Clarion University of Pennsylvania, where he was a four-time NCAA Division I National qualifier.