Gal Costa - Bio, Death Cause, Husband, Age, Family, Net Worth, Career
Gal Costa was a Brazilian singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, TV personality, and actress. She was one of the most prominent and prolific female singers in Brazil. She was one of the main figures of the tropicalia music scene in Brazil in the late 1960s and appeared on the acclaimed compilation Tropicália: ou Panis et Circenses (1968). She released more than 30 studio albums between 1965 and 2018, and more than 8 live albums between 1971 and 2013.
Costa released her debut EP album, Maria da Graça in 1965 and after two years, her debut duo album was released titled "Domingo". In the year 1969, she released her debut solo studio album, titled "Gal Costa", and in the same year, her 2nd solo studio album, "Gal" was released. Her other studio albums are Legal (1970), Índia (1973), Cantar (1974), Gal Canta Caymmi (1975), Caras e Bocas (1977), Água Viva (1978), Gal Tropical (1979), Aquarela do Brasil (1980), Fantasia (1981), Minha Voz (1982), Baby Gal, Trilha Sonora do Filme ‘Gabriela’ (1983), Profana (1984), Bem Bom (1985), Lua de Mel Como o Diabo Gosta (1987). She next released studio albums such as Plural (1990), Gal (1992), O Sorriso do Gato de Alice (1994), Mina D’Água do Meu Canto (1995), and Aquele Frevo Axé (1998). She released 7 studio albums; Gal de Tantos Amores (2001), Gal Bossa Tropical (2002), Todas as Coisas e Eu (2004), Hoje (2005), Recanto (2011), Estratosférica (2015), and A Pele do Futuro (2018); between the year 2001 and 2018.
How did Gal Costa die?
Gal Costa died in São Paulo on 9 November 2022. She dies at the age of 77. She was recovering from an extraction of a nodule of her nasal cavity and had canceled her show at the Primavera Sound.
On November 9, a statement was issued on the official Twitter account of Gal Costa to announce the heartbreaking news of her death. The statement reads, “It is with deep sadness and a tight heart that we communicate the death of singer Gal Costa, on the morning of this Wednesday, 11/09, in SP. Information about the funeral and burial will be released later. We appreciate everyone’s love at this difficult time. Gal team.” Her exact death cause is still to get revealed yet.
What was Gal Costa Famous For?
- Gal Costa was a singer, songwriter, instrumentalist, TV personality, and actress.
- She was known for her debut duo studio album with Caetano Veloso, Domingo (1967), and her solo studio albums Gal Costa (1969), Gal (1969), Legal (1970), Índia (1973), Cantar (1974), Caras e Bocas (1977), Água Viva (1978), Fantasia (1981), Plural (1990), Gal de Tantos Amores (2001), and Recanto (2011).
Where was Gal Costa from?
Gal Costa was born on 26 September 1945. Her birth real was Maria da Graça Costa Penna Burgos. She was from Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. She held Brazilian nationality and her ethnicity was Brazilian-Latino. Her mum, Mariah Costa Penna (deceased 1993) spent hours listening to classical music during her pregnancy in hopes that Gal would be interested in music. Her father, Arnaldo Burgos (deceased 1960), died when Gal was 15 years old and the two never met.
At the age of 10, she befriended sisters, Sandra and Andréia Gadelha. At 14, she first listened to João Gilberto's "Chega de Saudade" on the radio and became interested in Bossa Nova. She next went on to work as a clerk in Salvador's main record store to get closer to music. At the age of 18, she was introduced to Caetano Veloso by Andréa Gadelha, becoming close friends. She lastly celebrated her 77th birthday in 2022.
How was the Career of Gal Costa?
- Gal made her professional career debut on the night of 22nd August 1964 at the concert Nós, por exemplo (We, For Example).
- There, she performed along with Veloso, Gil, Maria Bethânia and Tom Zé, and more.
- Her professional recording happened on Bethânia's debut album, released in 1965.
- She then released her first singles through RCA Records, "Eu vim da Bahia", and "Sim, foi você".
- She participated in TV Rio's 1st International Music Festival performing "Minha Senhora".
- His debut album "Domingo" was released in 1967 through Philips Records. One song released from this album, "Coração Vagabundo", became a huge hit.
- In 1965, she began to record unedited songs from Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso.
- She became a part of the tropicália movement in 1968.
- She recorded four songs on Tropicália: ou Panis et Circenses. They were "Mamãe coragem", written by Veloso and Torquato Neto, "Parque industrial", by Tom Zé, "Enquanto seu lobo não vem", by Veloso, and "Baby", also by Veloso.
- She then participated in the 3rd International Music Festival, performing "Gabriela Mais Bela".
- In 1969, she released her eponymous solo debut album which included "Baby" and "Divino Maravilhoso".
- She recorded her second solo album, titled "Gal".
- Her next album, "Legal" was released in 1970.
- She appeared in the 1995 film "The Mandarin" (O Mandarim) as the singer Carmen Miranda.
- She is portrayed by Sophie Charlotte in the 2023 biographical film "Meu nome é Gal".
Awards and Achievements
- 2011 Latin Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
How much was Gal Costa's Net Worth?
Gal Costa was a renowned singer whose net worth was estimated to have $2 Million at the time of her death as per sources. She had gained more popularity and earned a decent amount of money from his profession. Her main source of wealth was from the music industry. She was making her annual salary in thousand of dollar. She lived a lavish lifestyle before her demise.
Who was Gal Costa's Partner?
Gal Costa was not known to have been married. She was enamored of Marina Lima in the 1990s. Her most prominent relationship was with actress Lúcia Veríssimo who was 13 years her junior. They were in a long-term relationship for 17 years until 2006. She has a son named Gabriel in 2019, at the age of 13. When it comes to her sexuality, she was bisexual/lesbian.
How tall was Gal Costa?
Gal Costa had a tall height of 5 ft 3 in or 160 cm and her body weight was 70 kg or 154.5 lbs. Her body type was large. Her hair color was black and her eye color was dark brown. She had curly hair.
Trivias About Gal Costa You Need To Know.
- She has recorded songs in Portuguese, Spanish and English.
- Gal said that she was always a mature child, and an easy teenager to deal with.
- She worked as a clerk in the main record store in her hometown of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil so she could get closer to music.
- Her mom hoped for a musical child and listened to classical music for hours during her pregnancy.