Last updated on October 31st, 2020 at 10:52 pm
Facts About Gary Oldman
|Celebrated Name||Gary Oldman|
|Age||65 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Gary Leonard Oldman|
|Place Of Birth||New Cross, London|
|Famous For||Famous as a versatile English actor.|
|Best Known For||Known for his role as Sid Vicious in "Sid and Nancy"(1986).|
|Father||Leonard Bertram Oldman|
|School||West Greenwich School|
|College / University||Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama|
|Education||BA degree in Acting|
|Net Worth||$50 million|
Gary Oldman is a popular versatile English actor and filmmaker who is well known for his role as Winston Churchill in the 2017 film, "Darkest Hour" for which he even won an Academy Award. Other roles include Sid Vicious in "Sid and Nancy", Drexl in "True Romance", George Smiley in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and also Sirius Black in the "Harry Potter" series.
Having his initial career started in theatre in 1979, Oldman has managed to come a long way establishing himself as one of the prominent actors of all time with his versatility and intense acting style. Oldman made his film debut in "Remembrance"(1982) and as of 2020, his films have grossed over $11 billion worldwide, making him one of the highest-grossing actors of all time.
Oldman already is the recipient of several honorable accolades; 1 Academy Award, 3 British Academy Film Awards, 2 Critics' Choice Awards, 1 Golden Globe Award, and 1 Screen Actors Guild Award.
What is Gary Oldman Famous for?
- Famous as a versatile English actor.
- Known for his role as Sid Vicious in "Sid and Nancy"(1986).
Where was Gary Oldman Born?
Gary Oldman was born on March 21, 1958, in New Cross, London, England. His birth name is Gary Leonard Oldman. His nationality is British. Oldman belongs to White ethnicity while Aries is his zodiac sign.
Gary Oldman was born as the son of Leonard Bertram Oldman(father) and Kathleen Cheriton(mother). His father, Leonard was a former sailor who also worked as a welder, while his mother, Kathlee was a homemaker. When Gray was just 7 years old, his father who was also an alcoholic left his family. Gray grew up along with his older sister, Maureen, who currently is also a successful actress better known as Laila Morse.
Oldman attended West Greenwich School in Deptford, however, he dropped out at the age of 16 to work in a sports shop. He had an interest in music since his childhood that he played piano as a child but he gave up music to pursue an acting career.
Soon after he attended the Young People's Theatre in Greenwich and worked several odd jobs. He then earned a scholarship to attend Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama in Kent, from where he graduated earning a BA degree in Acting, in 1979.
Gary Oldman's Career Highlights
- Gary Oldman made his stage debut in 1979 as Puss in "Dick Whittington and his Cat" at York’s Theatre Royal.
- Oldman then appeared in "The Massacre at Paris"(Christopher Marlowe), "Desperado Corner"(Shaun Lawton), and Robert David MacDonald's plays "Chinchilla" and "A Waste of Time".
- He made his film debut in Colin Gregg's film, "Remembrance" in 1982.
- He landed a starring role as a skinhead in Mike Leigh's film, "Meantime" in 1983.
- Oldman got his breakthrough with his starring role in Edward BOnd's play, "Saved".
- He was cast in the lead role of Scopey in the play "The Pope’s Wedding" in 1984.
- Oldman then took the part of musician Sid Vicious in the 1986 film, "Sid and Nancy".
- He got his third starring film role as Joe Orton in "Prick Up Your Ears"(1987), for which he received a BAFTA nomination for Best Actor.
- In 1988, he starred in "We Think the World of You" opposite Alan Bates.
- Followed by "Chattahoochee" and "The Firm" in 1988.
- Oldman's first US blockbuster was playing the role of Lee Harvey Oswald in Oliver Stone's "JFK" in 1991.
- In 1992, he starred as Count Dracula in Francis Ford Coppola's romance-horror, "Bram Stoker's Dracula".
- Oldman soon became a popular portrayer of villains; True Romance(1993), "Murder in the First"(1995), "The Fifth Element"(1997), and "Lost in Space"(1998).
- He then appeared as Sheldon Runyon, a Republican congressman in the film, "The Contender"(2000).
- In 2001, he starred opposite his Dracula co-star, Anthony Hopkins in "Hannibal".
- Following his guest appearances on the hit American series, "Friends", his career took a drastic change.
- He then appeared in a few forgettable films including "Tiptoes" and "Sin" in 2003.
- Oldman returned to prominence when he landed a starring role Sirius Black, Harry Potter’s godfather in the "Harry Potter" film series in 2004.
- He then starred as James Gordon in Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins"(2005), reprised the role in "The Dark Knight"(2008) and "The Dark Knight Rises"(2012).
- Oldman co-starred with Jim Carrey in the 2009 version of "A Christmas Carol" and also in "The Unborn".
- Oldman voiced the role of villain Lord Shen in "Kung Fu Panda 2" in 2011.
- He earned his first Academy Award nomination playing the role of British spy George Smiley in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" in 2011.
- He then appeared in "Lawless"(2012), "Paranoia"(2013), the remake of "RoboCop"(2014), "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"(2014), "Child 44"(2015), "Criminal"(2016).
- Oldman played the role of a billionaire entrepreneur in "The Space Between Us"(2017).
- The same year, he played the role of a dictatorial President in "The Hitman's Bodyguard", and former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill in "Darkest Hour".
- Oldman voiced an evil artificial intelligence in Netflix's independent film, "Tau" in 2018.
- He also starred in "Hunter Killer" alongside Gerard Butler the same year.
- Oldman stars in horror-thriller, "Mary" and appeared in Steven Soderbergh's "The Laundromat" in 2019.
- Oldman will star in Joe Wright's "The Woman in the Window", Netflix movie, "Mank" and drama thriller, "Dreamland".
- Oldman will be seen on his first lead in Apple TV+ spy drama television series, "Slow Horses".
- Oldman also had directed, produced, and wrote the award-winning Nil by Mouth in 1997.
Awards and Honors
- 1 Academy Award
- 3 British Academy Film Awards
- 2 Critics' Choice Awards
- 1 Golden Globe Award
- 1 Screen Actors Guild Award
- 1 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Award
- 1 British Independent Film Award
- 3 Empire Awards
- 2 London Film Critics' Circle
- 1 Satellite Awards
- 1 Saturn Award
- 3 Festival awards
- Honored at the Camerimage Film Festival in 1989; Awarded the Krzysztof Kieślowski Award for Acting, the first recipient of the award.
- Awarded the Dilys Powell Award For Excellence In Film in 2014.
- Awarded his first Career Achievement Award by the Hollywood Film Awards in 2018.
- Awarded with Maltin Modern Master Award, the highest accolade awarded by SPIFF.
Gary Oldman's Wife
Gary Oldman has been married five times. His first marriage was with English actress Lesley Manville. They got married in 1987 soon after welcomed their son named Alfie in 1988. However, just three months after the birth of their son they broke up in 1989 but claims to be in good condition. Oldman then met American actress, Uma Thurman while they were on the set of "State of Grace". They began dating and got married in 1990, but they got divorced in 1992.
Two years later, he got engaged to Italian actress and model Isabella Rossellini in 1994 but they ended their engagement in 1996. A year later in 1997, Oldman got married for the third time to model Donya Fiorentino, with whom he had two sons: Gulliver(born 1997) and Charlie(born 1999). Their marriage just lasted for 4 years as they got divorced in 2001. Fiorentino even accused Oldman of domestic assault in front of their children.
Oldman then got married to his fourth wife, English singer and actress Alexandra Edenborough in Santa Barbara, California on December 31, 2008. Their marriage also lasted for just 7 years as Edenborough filed for divorce on January 9, 2015. His fifth and current wife is writer and art curator Gisele Schmidt, with whom he got married in a private ceremony at the home of his manager, Douglas Urbanski in August 2017.
Besides, Oldman has been arrested for drunk driving in 1991 and even had checked himself into rehab in 1994. He also has described himself as a libertarian. Through his first son Alfie, Gary is the grandfather of two grandchildren, Matilda and Ozzy Oldman.
Gary Oldman's Net Worth
Gary Oldman is a multi-millionaire legendary actor who has quite healthy earnings from his stable and successful career as an actor. Having started his career in 1979 that lasted for over 50 years and still ongoing, Oldman has easily managed to amass a million worth fortune from his over 80 films that he has done till 2020.
With his several movies and shows, Oldman has managed to amass a wealthy fortune estimated to be around $50 million with his salary around $8 million.
Gary Oldman's Height
Gary Oldman is a handsome man who still has the same Baritone voice and looks even in his 70s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inch.(1.74m) while his body weighs around 75kg(165 lbs). He has a well maintained athletic body physique 2with 40 inches as his chest size, 32 inches as his waist size, and 12 inches as his bicep size.
He has a very manly look with light brown hair and blue eyes. He was also ranked #72 on the list of "100 Sexiest Stars in Film Industry" in 2007.
Trivias About Gary Oldman You Need To Know.
- Gary Oldman is the first recipient of the Krzysztof Kieślowski Award for Acting which he received in 2018.
- He was the first in his year to receive professional work
- He supported his local football club, Millwall, but also followed Manchester United
- Oldman was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company from 1985 to 1986.