Goran Dragic - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Contract, Salary, Wife, Family, Nationality, Parents, Siblings, Awards, Height, Weight, Current Team, Position
Goran Dragic is a Slovenian professional basketball player. He is currently playing for the Brooklyn Nets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). On 22th February 2022, he signed with the Brooklyn Nets. His playing position is a point guard. He had played professional basketball in Slovenia and Spain before entering the NBA in 2008. Before playing with Brooklyn Nets, he played for the Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat, Houston Rockets, and Toronto Raptors. He won the gold medal at the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship with the Slovenian under-20 junior national team. In 2017, he led the senior Slovenian national team to its first FIBA EuroBasket title and was also named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament. He is nicknamed 'The Dragon'. His shirt number/jersey number is 1.
Goran Dragic explains why fit didn't work in Toronto
On 6th August 2021, the Toronto Raptors acquired Dragić and Precious Achiuwa from the Heat via a sign-and-trade in exchange for Kyle Lowry. On 28 November, Dragić announced he was stepping away from the Raptors for personal reasons. The Raptors sent Dragic and a first-round pick to the San Antonio Spurs in return for another veteran in Thaddeus Young, but Dragic wasn't in San Antonio for long. The franchise reached a buyout agreement with Dragic shortly after the deal, making him free to sign wherever he pleased. He landed a deal with the Brooklyn Nets for the remainder of the season, set to play under his former Phoenix Suns teammate Steve Nash, who is, of course, the head coach of the Nets. According to The Athletic's Alex Schiffer, Dragic said the Raptors wanted to go young, that he didn't fit into their plans and that he has no hard feelings toward the franchise.
What is Goran Dragic Famous For?
- Being a professional basketball player.
- Playing as point guard for Brooklyn Nets of the NBA.
Where is Goran Dragic From?
Goran Dragic was born on 6th May 1986. He is from Ljubljana, SR Slovenia, Yugoslavia. He is Slovenian by nationality and his ethnic background is Slovenian-Serbian-White. He was born to a Slovenian mother and a Serbian father. Details about her parent's name are still to get disclosed yet. He grew up in Slovenia playing football. Due to an injury, he was forced to switch sports. Also, he has a sibling; a younger brother namely Zoran who was formerly his teammate on the Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat, and currently plays in Ljubljana (Slovenia) for Cedevita Olimpija.
There is no details about his education details.
Goran Dragic Career Timeline
- Goran made his debut in 2003 at the age of 17 in the Slovenian minor league with KD Ilirija.
- He then transferred to the top-level Slovenian Basketball League and Adriatic League club Slovan in 2004.
- After two years, he transferred to the Spanish ACB League club Saski Baskonia, who loaned him to the Spanish club, Murcia, in 2006.
- He next joined the Slovenian club Union Olimpija in 2007.
- He played there during the 2007–08 season, winning the Slovenian League championship with the team.
- Next, he entered the 2008 NBA draft, where he was selected in the second round, 45th overall, by the San Antonio Spurs. Later, his draft rights were traded o the Phoenix Suns in exchange for the draft rights to Malik Hairston, the 48th pick. They officially signed him on 22 September 2008.
- On 25th January 2010, he scored a then career-high 32 points, hitting 6 of 7 three-pointers in a losing effort against the Utah Jazz.
- On 24th February 2011, he was traded to the Houston Rockets along with a protected first-round pick in exchange for Aaron Brooks.
- During the Rockets' season finale, he recorded his first career triple-double with 11 points, 11 assists, and 11 rebounds in a 121–102 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on 13th April 2011.
- He played for Saski Baskonia of Spain during the 2011 NBA lockout.
- Later, he returned to the Rockets for the 2011–12 season.
- He became an unrestricted free agent in the year 2012.
- Then, he agreed to sign a 4-year, $30 million deal with a player option on the final year with the Phoenix Suns and officially became a member of the team again on 19th July 2012.
- On 8th February 2014, he scored a career-high 34 points— while attempting only 13 field goals— to go along with 10 assists in a 122–109 home victory over the Golden State Warriors.
- On 19th February 2015, he alongside his brother Zoran Dragic, was traded to the Miami Heat in a three-team deal also involving the New Orleans Pelicans that sent John Salmons and Danny Granger to Phoenix.
- H made his debut for the Heat, recording 12 points and 3 rebounds in a 105–91 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans on 21st February.
- He re-signed with the Heat to a five-year, $90 million contract on 9th July 2015.
- Because of a left calf injury, he missed 8 games in January 2016.
- On 28th November 2016, he recorded season highs of 27 points and 17 assists in a 112–104 loss to the Boston Celtics.
- On 19th December, he underwent successful surgery to clean up his right knee and returned to action on 23 February 2019 against the Detroit Pistons.
- In the 2019–20 NBA season, he helped the Heat reach the 2020 NBA Finals whereas the Heat lost the game to Los Angeles Lakers.
- On 6 August 2021, the Toronto Raptors acquired Dragić and Precious Achiuwa from the Heat via a sign-and-trade in exchange for Kyle Lowry. Later, he stepped away from the Raptors for personal reasons.
- On 10th February 2022, he and a 2022 first-round draft selection were traded to the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for Drew Eubanks, Thaddeus Young, and a 2022 second-round selection.
- He and the Spurs agreed to a contract buyout five days later.
- On 22nd February 2022, he signed with the Brooklyn Nets.
- Regarding his national team career, he won the gold medal at the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship with the Slovenian under-20 junior national team.
- Moreover, he also played at the 2005 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship.
- Next, he competed with the senior men's Slovenian national basketball team at the 2006 FIBA World Championship and the 2007 EuroBasket, in limited roles.
- During the 2013 tournament, he along with his brother helped lead Slovenia to a 5th-place finish and a spot in the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
- Prior to the 2017 EuroBasket, he announced that he would retire from playing with the Slovenian national team after the tournament.
Awards and Achievements
- NBA All-Star (2018)
- All-NBA Third Team (2014)
- NBA Most Improved Player (2014)
- FIBA EuroBasket MVP (2017)
- Euroscar Player of the Year (2017)
- Basque Cup winner (2011)
- FIBA Stanković Cup MVP (2010)
- Slovenian League champion (2008)
- Slovenian Cup winner (2008)
- Slovenian Supercup winner (2008)
- Slovenian League All-Star (2006)
- Slovenian League Rookie of the Year (2005)
- Slovenian Sportsman of the Year (2017)
Who is Goran Dragic married to?
Goran Dragic is a married man. He married his wife, Maja Dragic in the year 2013. They are also the proud parents of two children namely Mateo Dragic and Victoria Dragic. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Today, the couple is enjoying their present life happily without any disturbances.
How much is Goran Dragic Net Worth and Salary?
Goran Dragic is a professional basketball player who has made a huge fortune from his career work. As per sources, the net worth of Goran is estimated to have more than $100 Million as of 2022. He is making a base salary of $728,742 from his current team. Back in 2012, he agreed to sign a 4-year, $30 million deal with a player option on the final year with the Phoenix Sun. On 9th July 2015, he re-signed with the Heat to a five-year, $90 million contract. This comprises an $18,000,000 guaranteed minimum salary, and an annual average salary of $18,000,000. His main source of wealth is from basketball career. He owns house properties in Yugoslavia, Turkey, California, and Paris. He has recently purchased a brand-new Mercedes-Benz AMG GT for $790,000 USD. Goran Dragic also owns a Porsche 911 that’s worth more than $280,000 USD.
How tall is Goran Dragic?
Goran Dragic is a handsome basketball player who stands at the height of 1.91 m and his weight is 86 Kg or 190 lbs. His body type is athletic. His hair color is black and his eye color is dark brown. Overall, he has got a healthy body. He frequently does exercise to maintain his body and he is very conscious about his food intake.
Trivias About Goran Dragic You Need To Know.
- He is fluent in Slovenian, Serbian, Spanish, and English.
- He won the gold medal at the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship with the Slovenian under-20 junior national team.
- In 2017, he led the senior Slovenian national team to its first FIBA EuroBasket title and was also named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.
- He was born to Solvenian mother and Serbian father.
- His brother, Zoran was is currently plays in Ljubljana (Slovenia) for Cedevita Olimpija.