Gwyneth Powell - Bio, Death, Husband, Net Worth, Family, Movies, Facts
Gwyneth Powell was an English actress who was well-recognized for her portrayal of headmistress Bridget McClusky in the BBC television series, "Grange Hill". She was on the show portraying the role for eleven series between 1981 and 1991.
Powell was notable for her recurring roles on Echo Beach, The Gemma Factor, and House of Anubis.
Powell's career started in 1969 and remained in the field of movies for more than 50 years till 2022 when passed away on September 8, 2022, at age of 76. Her death was attributed to complications following surgery for a perforated colon.
She didn't hold any social media accounts to date.
She was best known for her portrayal of headmistress Bridget McClusky in the BBC television series Grange Hill for eleven series between 1981 and 1991.
Gwyneth Powell dead: Grange Hill actress dies aged 76
Gwyneth Powell died on September 8, 2022, in Brighton, England. Powell was 76 years old at the time when she passed away also it was the same date late Queen Elizabeth II passed.
The cause of her death was said to have occurred following complications of surgery for a perforated colon. Her death left a hole in the TV show industry which she had been practicing for 53 years since 1969.
Where was Gwyneth Powell from?
Gwyneth Powell was born on July 5, 1946, in Levenshulme, Manchester, England. Her birth name was Gwyneth Powell. Her nationality was British. Powell belonged to the White ethnicity while Cancer was her zodiac sign.
Born and raised in her hometown, Powell grew up developing an interest in acting that she even used to perform with England's National Youth Theatre during her childhood. She attended Cheadle County Grammar School for Girls.
Soon later, she got enrolled in the teachers' training program at Goldsmiths, the University of London, however, she returned to acting in repertory theater.
Gwyneth Powell Career
- Her career started with her major television role as Clare Weston in the television series, "The Guardians" in 1971.
- She then appeared in other TV shows including "Villains", "Z Cars", and "Father Brown".
- Powell got her biggest breakthrough when she was cast as Mrs. McClusky in the BBC television series, "Grange Hill" in 1980. She remained on the show till 1991.
- She was featured in the 2001 family movie Back to the Secret Garden.
- She played the role of Ivy Trehearne in "Echo Beach" in 2008.
- She also appeared in other television programs such as Heartbeat, A Touch of Frost, Holby City, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, and Father Brown.
- In 2010, she starred as Nana in The Gemma Factor.
- She was also seen in Arsenic and Old Lace at the Salisbury Playhouse.
- She appeared as Nina Martin's gran in "House of Anubis" in 2012.
- She played the role of Greg Davies' mother Polly Davies in the Channel 4 comedy, "Man Down" in 2013. She remained in the show for 4 years till 2017.
- In 2022, she appeared in the show, "Not Going Out". It was her last appearance before her death.
Who was Gwyneth Powell married to?
Gwyneth Powell was a married woman and had been married just once throughout her life. Her first and only husband was Alan Leith, an actor with whom she got married in 1971. The couple had been happily married for over 40 years and lived together in Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex.
Powell however never had a child.
How much was Gwyneth Powell's Net Worth?
Gwyneth Powell had quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress. Having his career started in 1969 with a small screen debut, she remained in the TV shows for over several decades making her one of the most popular senior actors.
Her net worth was estimated to be around $2.5 million at the time of her death.
Gwyneth Powell Height and Weight
Gwyneth Powell was a beautiful lady in her 70s at the time of her death. She had a height of 5ft. 4inch.(1.63m) while her body weight was around 58kg.
She had a fair complexion with blue eyes and blonde hair.
Trivias About Gwyneth Powell You Need To Know.
- She worked in the TV industry for more than 50 years.
- Her death date was the same of that of Late Queen Elizabeth II.
- Powell never had a child.