Facts About Jair Bolsonaro
|68 Years Old
|Jair Messias Bolsonaro
|Place Of Birth
|Perci Geraldo Bolsonaro
|Perci Geraldo Bolsonaro
|Preparatory School; Academia Militar das Agulhas Negras
|Michelle de Paula Firmo Reinaldo Bolsonaro
|Will Add Soon
|Annual income $238,000
|Source of Wealth
Jair Bolsonaro is a Brazilian politician and retired military officer who currently is serving as the 38th president of Brazil and has been in office since January 1, 2019. He was elected president as a member of the conservative Social Liberal Party and had served in the country's Chamber of Deputies, representing the state of Rio de Janeiro in several parties between 1991 and 2018.
Born in a small town of Glicério, Bolsonaro has come a long way starting his career as a Brazilian Army now to the president of the country. He is a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage and homosexuality, abortion, affirmative action, drug liberalization, and secularism. Bolsonaro focused on domestic affairs in his first months in office, dealing primarily with the fallout of one of the worst recessions in the country's history.
Bolsonaro's response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Brazil was criticized across the political spectrum after he opposed quarantine measures, downplay the pandemic and its effects, and even fired two medically qualified health ministers, as Brazil's death toll increased rapidly. On July 7, 2020, Bolsonaro revealed that he had tested positive for COVID-19.
What is Jair Bolsonaro Famous for?
- Famous as the 38th president of Brazil.
- Known as the former military officer ranked as Captain.
Where was Jair Bolsonaro Born?
Jair Bolsonaro was born on March 21, 1955, in Glicério, São Paulo, Brazil. His birth name is Jair Messias Bolsonaro. His nationality is Brazilian. Bolsonaro is of Italian descent, with some German ancestry while Aries is his zodiac sign.
Jair was born as one of the 6 sons of Percy Geraldo Bolsonaro(father) and Olinda Bonturi(mother). He has different ancestry from his family relation as from his father's side he is the great-grandson of Italians, Vittorio Bolzonaro, who immigrated to Brazil when he was 10. His German ancestry came from his father's maternal grandfather, Carl "Carlos" Hintze, who was born in an Italian city and got immigrated to Brazil in 1883.
Bolsonaro spent most of his childhood moving around Sao Paulo with his family, and moving to several cities including Ribeira, Jundiai, and Sete Barras, before settling in the town of Eldorado. He grew up along with his 5 brothers in Eldorado, where he attended his high school. In his final years in high school, Bolsonaro was admitted to a Brazilian Army's prep school, "Escola Preparatória de Cadetes do Exército" in 1973.
After a year of training in 1974, he went to Brazil's main military academy, the Academia Militar das Agulhas Negras, where he got graduated in 1977, as an Artillery Officer. He even served in the 9th Field Artillery Group, in Nioaque, Mato Grosso do Sul.
Later, he attended the Army Physical Training School in Rio de Janeiro and served in the 21st Field Artillery Group and the 8th Paratrooper Field Artillery Group. In 1987, he studied in the Officers Improvement School, where he made the Artillery Advanced Course.
Jair Bolsonaro's Career Highlights
- Jair Bolsonaro came to the public in 1986, when he wrote an article for Veja magazine criticizing low wages for military officers. On the response of which, he was arrested and detained for fifteen days.
- A year later, he was accused of a first-degree conviction by the same magazine of planning to plant bombs in military units, which he denied.
- In 1988, he was acquitted by the Brazilian Supreme Military Court and even joined the reserve army the same year with the rank of captain and ran also for the Rio de Janeiro City Council.
- After serving in the military for fifteen years, he left the Army to begin his political career in December 1988.
- Bolsonaro entered politics in 1988, getting elected as a city councilor in Rio de Janeiro. He spent only two years in the Municipal Chamber of Rio de Janeiro.
- He was then elected as a federal deputy for the Christian Democratic Party in the 1990 election and was subsequently re-elected six times.
- During his 27-year tenure in the Brazilian National Congress, he became known for his strong support of national conservatism.
- In January 2018, Bolsonaro abandoned the Social Christian Party and switched to the Social Liberal Party(PSL) and launched his presidential campaign in August 2018.
- During the 2018 presidential campaign, he started to advocate for economic liberal and pro-market policies.
- He came in first place in the first round of the general election on October 7, 2018. 21 days later, on October 28, 2018, he faced a run-off against Fernando Haddad and eventually won with 55.1% of the popular vote.
- With majority votes, Bolsonaro was elected the 38th president of Brazil and took office on January 1, 2019.
- In his first months in office, Bolsonaro focused on domestic affairs, dealing primarily with the fallout of one of the worst recessions in the country's history.
- Multiple controversies marked the first years of his administration as the economy recovered very slowly, while crime rates fell sharply.
- In 2019, Bolsonaro left his party amid a confrontation with other members and formed his own political organization.
- During his presidency, he has pushed a rollback of protections for indigenous groups in the Amazon rainforest and facilitated its destruction through deforestation.
- In 2020, during the pandemic of COVID-19, public opinions which had been favorable towards him during his first year in office, turned sour after he opposed quarantine measures and death troll increased in Brazil.
- On April 17, 2019, he was named as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
- On May 14, 2019, he was named Person of the Year of Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce.
1 Grand Master and Grand Cross of the
- Order of Rio Branco
- Order of Defence Merit
- Order of Military Merit
- Order of Naval Merit
- Order of Aeronautical Merit
2. Grand Collar of the Order of Labor Judicial Merit
3. Grand Cross of the Order of Military Judicial Merit
4. The Mauá Medal of Merit
5. The Peacemaker Medal
Jair Bolsonaro's Wife and Children
Jair Bolsonaro has been married three times till the date. His first marriage was with Rogéria Nantes Braga with whom he shares three sons: Flávio Nantes, Carlos Nantes, and Eduardo Nantes. All of his elder sons are successful politicians, as Flavio is also a lawyer, entrepreneur, and Eduardo is also a lawyer and a federal police officer.
His second marriage was with Ana Cristina Valle with whom he got married in 1993. They share a son together named Renan. After almost 10 years of their marriage, they got divorced. In 2007, he got married to his third wife, Michelle de Paula Firmo Reinaldo, who is currently serving as the First Lady of Brazil.
While working as a congressman, Bolsonaro hired Michelle as a secretary, and over the next two years, she received unusual promotions, and her salary more than tripled. The couple together shares a daughter named Laura and are currently living together in Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro.
On July 7, 2020, Bolsonaro revealed of being tested positive with COVID-18 and even said that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine to fight against the virus.
Besides, during his campaign in 2018, Bolsonaro was stabbed in the abdomen on 6 September 2018 while campaigning and interacting with supporters in the city of Juiz de Fora, Minas Gerais.
Jair Bolsonaro's Net Worth
Jair Bolsonaro has quite great earnings from his professional career as a politician and a retired military officer. Having been in the field of politics for over 18 years, Bolsonaro has managed to amass a healthy fortune from his active participation in political issues. Also, as being the 38th president of Brazil since 2019, Bolsonaro must have a million worth fortune as per his high reputed post.
His net worth is estimated to be around $50 million with $235k as his monthly income. With his million worth fortune, Bolsonaro has managed to live a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.
Jair Bolsonaro's Height
Jair Bolsonaro is a good-looking man in his 60s. With his political thinkings and optimism, Bolsonaro has managed to win million hearts all around Brazil. He stands tall with a height of 6ft. 1inch.(1.85m) while is body weighs around 90kg.
He has an average body measurement with 44 inches as his chest size, 36 inches as his waist size, and 14 inches as his bicep size. He has a fair complexion with brown hair and blue eyes.
Trivias About Jair Bolsonaro You Need To Know.
- He is a retired military officer.
- He has been the 38th president of Brazil since 1st January 2019.
- He served in the country's Chamber of Deputies, representing the state of Rio de Janeiro, between 1991 and 2018.
- He was elected president as a member of the conservative Social Liberal Party, before leaving them to found the party Alliance for Brazil.