Last updated on June 25th, 2023 at 04:18 am
Facts About Janey Godley
|Celebrated Name||Janey Godley|
|Age||62 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Jane Godley Currie|
|Profession||Stand-up Comedian , Actress , Writer|
|Place Of Birth||Glasgow|
|Siblings||Ann Crawford, and Mij Currie|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
|Source of Wealth||Comedy Career|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Hair Color||Faded Dark Brown|
|Links||Wikipedia Instagram Facebook YouTube|
Janey Godley is a Scottish stand-up comedian, actress, and writer from Glasgow. She is known for her bestselling autobiography, "Handstands in the Dark", and for her one-woman stage pieces, "Good Godley!" and "The Point of Yes". Also a journalist, she penned a weekly column for The Scotsman. Janey married her husband, Sean Storrie, and the duo is blessed with a daughter, Ashley.
Early in her career, she established a comedy club called Jesters in Glasgow, Scotland. She began her stand-up career in 1994. She won an award for the "Best Show Concept" at the New Zealand International Comedy Festival in 2002, and the "Spirit of the Festival" in 2006.
When was Janey Godley born?
Janey Godley was born on January 20, 1961, in Glasgow, Scotland. She was raised on Kenmore Street in Shettleston, a district in the East End of Glasgow. She is the youngest of four children born to her mother, Annie, and her father, Jim Currie. Her parents were alcoholics and her mother was also addicted to tranquilizers. In 1982, when Godley was 21, her mother died after drowning in the River Clyde. She believes that her mother was murdered by her violent boyfriend. Godley and her sister, Ann Crawford, were sexually abused by their maternal uncle, David Percy. Percy, who was 12 years older than Godley, molested her and her sister for a number of years during their childhoods. Her maternal uncle was then charged with the crimes in 1993 after the sisters decided to come forward, and was later found guilty and sentenced to two years in prison in 1996. On 31 December 2010, her brother Mij Currie died from a drug-related illness. She holds Scottish nationality and she belongs to Scottish-White ethnical background race. Her present age is 62 as of 2023. Aquarius is her zodiac sign and she follows the Christianity religion.
For her educational qualification, she attended Eastbank Academy. Godley left school at 16 with no qualifications.
How was the career of Janey Godley?
- It was in the year 1994 that Janey Godley started her stand-up career. Legally, she changed her name from Janey Godley Storrie to Janey Godley in 1995.
- Janey decided to use a stage name, saying to her husband: "I don't want to be Janey Storrie anymore, because your family let me down, and I don't want to be Janey Currie because my family let me down. I'm going to use my middle name and legally become Janey Godley. The only family who hasn't let me down are the Godleys because I don't know them."
- Her autobiography "Handstands in the Dark" was published in 2005. She was a finalist for the Edinburgh Evening Times' "Scotswoman of the Year" award in 2006.
- Likewise, her TV appearances include River City, Sam Delaney's News Thing, The Alex Salmond Show, Have I Got News for You, and Traces. She appears in the film Wild Rose.
- In addition, she also makes spoof voice-overs of videos. She wrote and starred in a series of short films titled "Alone" in 2020.
- In 2020, she won the Scots Language Award's Speaker of the Year Award.
- Godley apologized for the tweets which she had sent in the past. Some of these tweets included insults based on the Chernobyl disaster and disabilities, and racial insults towards African American musicians Kelly Rowland, 50 Cent, and Snoop Dogg.
- In 2020, her book "Frank Get The Door" was published and after two years, her other book "Nothing Left Unsaid" was released.
- Janey Godley is a supporter of Scottish independence. She describes herself as "anti-Tory" and she formerly supported the Conservatives in her youth and once met Margaret Thatcher at a Scottish Conservative Party Conference in Perth.
- She also joined a group of comedians on a tour of the UK in support of Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn despite in February 2016 being a supporter of the Scottish National Party.
- She was pictured in 2016 standing outside Donald Trump's Turnberry Golf resort holding a sign stating "Trump is a Cunt" that went viral. Following a protest in Glasgow which she organized in November 2016 just prior to the election of Trump as president, she received rape threats through Twitter.
Who is Janey Godley's Wife?
Janey Godley is a married woman. At the age of 19, Janey got married to her husband, Sean Storrie in the year 1980. She ran a public house in Calton, Glasgow with her husband and his family for 14 years during the 1980s and 1990s. The duo is still together and they are spending their life a lot without any disturbances. Their love bond is going strong with the passage of time.
Their daughter, Ashley Storrie (born 1986), is a stand-up comedian and BBC Radio Scotland presenter. Ashley has autism spectrum disorder.
How much is Janey Godley's net worth?
Janey Godley is a stand-up comedian, actress, and writer. She began her stand-up career in 1994. She has also starred in many tv shows including River City, Sam Delaney’s News Thing, The Alex Salmond Show, and Have I Got News for You and Traces. She appears in the film Wild Rose. Her main source of wealth comes from a comedy career.
Janey Godley has an estimated net worth of $5 million as of 2023. She accrued this fortune through her professional career. She is living a luxurious lifestyle. Without any doubt, she is satisfied with her earnings. She is enjoying her life a lot.
What is Janey Godley's height?
Janey Godley is a beautiful woman with a large body type. She stands at the height of 5 feet 6 inches or 167 cm or 1.67 m. She has attractive blue eyes while her hair color is faded dark brown. She has a very charming smile and glowing face attracting a lot of people towards her.
In November 2021, she announced via Twitter the cancellation of the last weekend of her tour, explaining that she had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and was being treated in a hospital. She had a full hysterectomy in January 2022 and announced in June that she was cancer-free. On 13 December 2022, she announced that her cancer had returned and that she would need further chemotherapy.
Trivias About Janey Godley You Need To Know.
- Aquarius is her zodiac sign.
- She is known for her bestselling autobiography, Handstands in the Dark.
- She rose to fame in 2002, when a series of comedy performances in New Zealand earned her several award nominations.
- In 2005, she performed a piece called Jane Godley is Innocent for several dozen inmates at a Scottish high security prison.
- She grew up in Glasgow, Scotland.
- She hosted magician and comedian Jerry Sadowitz's first performances.