Jay Ellis - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Dating, Girlfriend, Baby, Family, Nationality, Ethnicity, Height, Facts, Parents, Awards, Career, TV Shows, Salary
Wendell Ramone Ellis Jr. is an American actor who is professionally known as Jay Ellis. He is well recognized for playing the role of Lawrence Walker in the comedy-drama TV series, "Insecure" and for appearing in a number of popular TV shows such as "How I Met Your Mother", "Grey's Anatomy", "NCIS: Los Angeles", and "Masters of Sex". In 1995, Jay made his theatrical film debut in the romantic drama movie, "Once Upon a Time… When We Were Colored". However, his work in the movie wasn't credited. He made his first TV show appearance in Watershed episode of the science fiction series, "Invasion" in 2005. But, his appearance was uncredited. Ellis made his first credited TV show appearance in the "Hang in There, Baby" episode of the comedy-drama series, "Related", in 2005. He made his first credited theatrical film appearance in the anthology comedy movie, "Movie 43", which was released in 2013. As well, Jay had a lead role in the horror film "Escape Room" (2019) and will be in the upcoming "Top Gun: Maverick".Additionally, he is also active in social media as he has gained more than 158.5K followers on his TikTok and over 820k followers on his Instagram account.
Jay Ellis Claims Someone Slapped Him In an Airport
Jay Ellis is one of the most liked and hated TV stars of today. The respected actor portrays Lawrence on the hit HBO series, which fans often criticize. On Monday, 20th December journalist Jemele Hill shared a throwback clip from the "Jemele Hill Is Unbothered" podcast, where Ellis explained being publicly slapped by an "Insecure" fan in the airport. "Yea I got slapped in JFK," admitted Ellis, which completely shocked Hill, who yelled, "Oh my gosh!" The 39-year-old apparently had no idea who the woman was and seemed surprised that anyone would do such a thing so recklessly.
"She literally slapped me and went 'Oh my God, Oh my God. I'm so sorry. I'm just so pissed at you, Lawrence," said Ellis. "She was like, 'And you'd think I know better because I'm a writer.'" He said he was even more shocked when the woman asked to interview him for a story immediately afterward. "She was like, 'You think I could do an interview with you at some point?' And I was like, 'Why don't you hit me when I get back in the country and we'll figure it out,'" Ellis laughed. He concluded, "I actually would have done the interview just to call her out."
What is Jay Ellis Famous For?
- Being an American actor.
- For playing the role of Lawrence Walker in the comedy-drama TV series, "Insecure".
Where is Jay Ellis from?
Jay Ellis took birth on 27th December 1981 with the real name of Wendell Ramone Ellis Jr. in Sumter, South Carolina, U.S. He holds American nationality and he belongs to African-American ethnicity. Likewise, his religious belief is in the Christian religion and his race is black. Jay has recently celebrated his 40th birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his zodiac sign is Capricorn. His father, Wendell Ellis Sr. worked for the Air Force, while his mother, Paula Bryant-Ellis, worked as a finance executive. He is the only child of the family.
Regarding Jay's education, he went to 12 schools in 13 years, before attending Concordia University in Oregon, where he played basketball.
Jay Ellis Career Timeline
- Jay Ellis kicks off his career working as a public relations intern for the Portland Trail Blazers during their infamous "Jail Blazers" era after which he focused on modeling and started working with Portland-based sportswear companies such as Nike, Adidas, and Columbia Sportswear.
- Then in 2005, he launched his career as a professional actor starring in single episodes of the television series "Invasion" and "Related". He also made appearances on the series "Grey's Anatomy", "NCIS" and "How I Met Your Mother" in 2011-2012.
- His first major acting role was in 2013, starring in BET's series "The Game".
- It was announced in August 2015 that he has joined the cast of HBO's comedy series "Insecure" which premiered in October 2016.
- Also, he began hosting "The Untold Story: Policing" in 2020 and he will be acting in the upcoming "Top Gun: Maverick".
- Furthermore, Jay appeared as Jason Walker in "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions" in 2021 and he will also be starring in the upcoming film "Somebody I Used to Know".
Awards and Achievements
- NAACP Image Awards for his work in "Insecure"
Jay Ellis Girlfriend: Is He Married?
Jay Ellis is an unmarried actor. He has been in a relationship with Serbian model and actress Nina Senicar since 2015. There is a greater possibility of his marriage after all he seems happy in his relationship with his girlfriend. Their daughter was born in November 2019 and is named Nora Grace. Reflecting on Jay's sexual orientation, he is straight.
Jay Ellis Net Worth: How much is his salary?
Jay Ellis is a versatile guy who has a net worth of $3 million as of 2021 whereas his exact amount of salary has not been disclosed yet. He also has used his social media activity to promote various products and brands such as Cricket Nation. Also, while working as a model, he worked with popular clothing brands such as Adidas, Air Jordan, Nike, and Columbia Sportswear. In addition, his major source of income is from his acting career.
Jay Ellis Height and Weight
Jay Ellis has a tall height of 6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm and his body weighs around 84 kg or 185 lbs. He has good-looking black hair and eyes color. His ethnic background is probably one of the reasons for his bold and extremely attractive personality. Moreover, Jay's body build type is athletic.
Trivias About Jay Ellis You Need To Know.
- Jay attended Concordia University in Portland, Oregon on a football scholarship and also served as the university's student body president.
- He was a featured model in campaigns for Air Jordan, The Gap, and Abercrombie & Fitch.
- He and fellow TV actor, Josh Henderson, attended high school together in Tulsa, Oklahoma and became close friends
- He also played basketball in high school as well as at the Concordia University.
- After graduating from the university, Jay started working as a public relations intern for the Portland Trail Blazers.