Joan Collins - Bio, Net Worth, Life Story, Husbands, Nationality, Age, Family, Parents, Siblings, Birthday, Height, Awards, Wiki, Facts, Career, Kids
Joan Collins is an English actress, author, and columnist who is well known for her portrayal of the role of Alexis Carrington on TV's primetime soap opera, "Dynasty"(the most popular series in the United States in the 1980s). Her role of Alexis gained her much recognition and fame along with a Gloden Globe award thus making her an international superstar.
Having her career started as a stage actor at age of 9 and her feature film debut as a beauty contestant in the film, "Lady Godiva Rides Again", Collins came a long way becoming one of the prominent actresses.
Collins also has authored many novels, non-fiction, and memoirs, including the best-selling novel, "Prime Time". Also for her services to the charity, Collins was made a Dame by Queen Elizabeth II in 2015. Collins was even honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for career achievement.
Besides, she has been named "England's most beautiful girl", "the most beautiful woman in the world", and "the world's sexiest woman".
What is Joan Collins Famous for?
- Famous for her role as Alexis Carrington on the TV soap opera, "Dynasty".
Where is Joan Collins from?
Joan Collins was born on May 23, 1933, in London, England. Her birth name is Dame Joan Henrietta Collins. Her nationality is British. Collins belongs to White ethnicity while Gemini is her zodiac sign.
Joan Collins was born as the eldest child to her parents: Joseph William Collins(father) and Elsa Collins(mother). Her father, Joseph was a Jewish talent agent while her mother, Elsa was an Anglican dance teacher. Joan grew up along with her two younger siblings, Jackie, a novelist, and Bill, a property agent.
She attended Francis Holland School, a school for girls in London after graduating from which she went on to study acting at the "Royal Academy of Dramatic Art"(RADA). At age of 16, she got trained as an actress from RADA, a year later she was signed to a film studio, "Rank Organisation".
Joan Collins's Career Highlights
- Joan Collins started her career making her stage debut in the Henrik Ibsen play, "A Doll's House" at the age of nine.
- In 1951, she made her feature film debut playing the role of a beauty contestant in "Lady Godiva Rides Again".
- Her next role was minor as a Greek maid in British drama, "The Woman's Angle" and as a gangster's moll "Judgment Deferred" in 1952.
- Collins got her break when she was cast as a juvenile delinquent in "I Believe in You"(1952).
- Her subsequent films include "Decameron Nights", "Cosh Boy", "Our Girl Friday", "The Good Die Young", "Claudia and David", and "The Skin of Our Teeth".
- She signed a 7-year contract with the Hollywood studio, "20th Century Fox".
- Collins made her Hollywood film debut in the lavish historical drama, "The Virgin Queen"(1955).
- The same year, she was cast in the starring role of Evelyn Nesbitt in "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing".
- She starred in one last film for Fox in the biblical epic, "Esther and the King"(1960).
- After taking a break in the 1960s, she appeared as Joanne Clayton in the horror film, "Tales from the Crypt" in 1972.
- She made several guest appearances in television shows, such as "Batman", "Star Trek", "The Virginian" and "The Danny Thomas Hour".
- Collins got much popularity when she starred in a racy novel, "The Stud" in 1978. It was so successful that a sequel titled "The Bitch" was released in 1979.
- She got her biggest break when she starred as Alexis Carrington on the TV soap opera, "Dynasty" in 1981. She remained in the shoe for almost 8 years till 1989.
- While filming Dynasty, she starred in the feature film, "Nutcracker", "Paper Dolls", and "The Wild Women of Chastity Gulch".
- Collins made her Broadway stage debut, as Amanda in a successful revival of "Private Lives"(1990).
- She played the recurring role of Crystal Hennessy-Vass in the British sitcom, "Benidorm" from 2014 till 2017.
- She played the role of Alexandra, Grand Duchess of Oxford in the American primetime TV soap opera, "The Royals" from 2015 till 2018.
- She returned to the big screen with the starring role in the British comedy-drama, "The Time of Their Lives" in 2017.
- She also has written several literary works including her best-selling novels, "Prime Time" and "My Secrets".
Joan Collins's Husband
Joan Collins has been married five times to date. Her first marriage was with Maxwell Reed, a Northern Irish actor. The couple got married on May 24, 1952, differently as their marriage happened after he allegedly raped her. However, their relation didn't last long till 1956 when they got divorced.
Three years later, she began dating Henry Warren Beatty, an American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, with whom she got engaged in 1960. It also didn't last long however, Collins was pregnant by Beatty but she aborted the baby to focus on her career.
Her second marriage was with Anthony Newley, an English actor, singer, and songwriter, with whom she got married in 1963. Together the couple had two children, Tara and Alexander. Their marriage ended in 1971. Her third marriage was with Ron Kass, an American businessman, recording executive, manager of The Beatles, with whom she got married in 1972.
Together with Kass, Collins had a daughter named Katyana Kennedy Kass. Their marriage also ended in 1983.
Soon after she got married to Peter Holm, former pop singer, on November 3, 1985, in a ceremony held in Las Vegas. Their marriage was also short-termed as they split up in 1987. Her fifth and lasting marriage is with Percy Gibson, they got married on February 17, 2002, at Claridge's Hotel in London. The couple is living a happy life together for almost 19 years now.
Also back in 2019, the couple barely escaped a fire at her London flat in Eaton Place thankfully they both survived. Besides, Collins has already become the grandmother of her three grandchildren.
Joan Collins's Net Worth
Joan Collins has quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress. Having her career started at age of 9 initially as a stage actor, Collins has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the prominent actresses in her decade-long career.
Her source of income is surely her appearances in movies and series. Including her income, she has an estimated net worth estimated to be around $30 million.
In 2021, Collins kept her New York City apartment on the eighth floor on the market for $2 million prices. Also, back in 2017, she sold her West Hollywood condo for $4.5 million.
Joan Collins's Height
Joan Collins is a gorgeous lady with a well-maintained body physique even in her 80s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inches.(1.68m) while her body weighs around 65kg(144 lbs). Her body measurement is around 35-24-35 inches with a bra size of 35B, 4(US) as her dress size, and 6(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with brown hair and green eyes.
Trivias About Joan Collins You Need To Know.
- Her father was a talent agent, whereas her mother was a dance teacher and nightclub hostess.
- She was invited to attend the funeral of former UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in April 2013.
- She is the member of the Conservative Party.
- She appeared in a 12-page photo layout for Playboy magazine at the age of 50.
- She co-hosted the ABC-TV special Blondes vs. Brunettes in 1984.
- Her novelist sister, Jackie Collins died of breast cancer in 2015.
- She has a charitable heart for which a Dame was made by Queen Elizabeth II in 2015.
- Collin appearing TV commercial for Cinzano was named as one of the Top 100 British Adverts in a Channel 4 poll.