Facts About Joanne Wood
|36 Years Old
|Place Of Birth
|Source of Wealth
|5 ft 6 in
Joanne Wood is a Scottish professional MMA artist as well as a former Muay Thai Champion. Currently, she competes in the Women's Flyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. She is the current ISKA World Flyweight Champion, IKF European Flyweight Champion, the WKL European Flyweight Champion, and the WBC UK Bantamweight Champion. She made her debut MMA fight against Noellie Molina via TKO in the first round. She is #7 in the UFC women's flyweight rankings as of 20th December 2021. She is nicknamed 'JoJo'. Her recent fight was against Alexa Grasso on 26th March 2022 at UFC Fight Night 205 which she lost.
What is Joanne Wood Famous For?
- Being a Scottish professional Mixed Martial Artist and Former Muay Thai Champion.
- Being the current ISKA World Flyweight Champion, IKF European Flyweight Champion, the WKL European Flyweight Champion, and the WBC UK Bantamweight Champion, and is ranked #2 in the world by the World Professional Muaythai Federation.
Where is Joanne Wood From?
Joanne Wood took birth on 23rd December 1986 in Irvine, Scotland, United Kingdom. She celebrated her 35th birthday as of 2021. She holds Scottish nationality and her ethnicity is Scottish-White. She follows Christianity religion and her zodiac sign is Capricorn. Her real name is Joanne Calderwood. She was born to her mother, Jeanette Calderwood whereas her fathers' detail is still to get disclosed yet. She grew up with her brother whose name is still a mystery. Joanne's educational details are unavailable at a moment.
Joanne Wood Career Timeline
- Joanne initially started Muay Thai training alongside her brother.
- Growing up, she did several jobs including one after secondary school that involved her helping children and people who were on ventilation machines, monitoring them in the hospital, and assisting them when needed. She also worked at the gym and made a significant commitment to her training.
- "I had to make a decision if I wanted to keep fighting or stay in my job," she said. "I wanted to keep fighting."
- In the year 2000, she started in Muay Thai and was named STBA Fighter of the year in 2009.
- She is the current ISKA World Flyweight Champion, IKF European Flyweight Champion, the WKL European Flyweight Champion, and the WBC UK Bantamweight Champion, and is ranked #2 in the world by the World Professional Muaythai Federation.
- She made her final Muay Thai fight in September 2012 earning a record of 19-2-0.
- Wood is the first Scottish professional female mixed martial artist.
- She made her bout against Noellie Molina in which she won via TKO from punches in the first round.
- Her second fight was at India's Super Fight League's third event, SFL 3, against Lena Ovchynnikova in which she won the fight via unanimous decision.
- He competed at On Top 5 where she defeated Ainara Mota via TKO from punches.
- After that, she next competed at Invicta Fighting Championships' third event, Invicta FC 3: Penne vs. Sugiyama, against Ashley Cummins on 6th October 2012 which she won via knockout from a knee to the body in the first round. Aft the fight, she was awarded a Knockout of the Night bonus for the victory.
- She then fought against Livia von Plettenberg. She won the fight via unanimous decision. This was her debut on the main card of an Invicta FC event.
- On 13th April 2013, at Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 53 in Glasgow, Scotland, she fought against American Sally Krumdiack which she won via TKO in the first round.
- Next, she defeated Norma Rueda Rueda Center via unanimous decision.
- On 7th December 2013, she faced and won against Katja Kankaanpää at Invicta FC 7: Honchak vs. Smith fight via unanimous decision.
- On 11th December 2013, it was announced that Wood was signed by the UFC to compete on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter.
- She defeated Emily Kagan by majority decision after two rounds to advance to the quarterfinals. But sadly, she was defeated by Rose Namajunas in the quarterfinals via kimura in the second round. However, she was awarded a $25,000 Fight of the Season bonus for this bout.
- After then, her first fight was against Seo Hee Ham at The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale on 12th December 2014. In the fight, she defeated Seo Hee Ham via unanimous decision.
- She next faced promotional newcomer Maryna Moroz on 11th April 2015 at UFC Fight Night 64 which she lost; making this the first official loss on her professional record.
- Her next fight was against promotional newcomer Cortney Casey which she won via unanimous decision.
- Her next fight was against Valérie Létourneau at UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson in the first women's flyweight bout in UFC history which she won via TKO in the third round after striking Létourneau with a kick to the body and finishing her off with punches.
- On 10th September 21016, she faced Jéssica Andrade in a strawweight bout at UFC 203 which she lost via submission in the first round.
- Her next fight was against Cynthia Calvillo in a strawweight bout on 16th July 2017 at UFC Fight Night 113 which she lost via unanimous decision.
- After the loss, she faced Kalindra Faria on 25th August 2018 at UFC Fight Night 135 which she went on to win via submission in the first round.
- On 19th January 2019, she faced and won against promotional newcomer Ariane Lipski on 19th January 2019 at UFC Fight Night 143.
- On 8th June 2019, she faced Katlyn Chookagian at UFC 238 but lost the fight by a controversial unanimous decision.
- She faced Andrea Lee on 9th September 2019 at UFC 242 which she won via split decision.
- She was next defeated by Jennifer Maia on 1st August 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Shahbazyan via armbar submission in round one. After the fight took place, she passed out backstage when getting checked out in the medical room. She was transported to a local hospital. Her heart rate dropped on the way there but later stabilized.
- Next, she fought and won facing Jessica Eye on 24th January 2021 at UFC 257 via unanimous decision.
- She then faced Lauren Murphy on June 12, 2021, at UFC 263 which she lost via split decision.
- After renewing her multi-fight contract, she was scheduled to face Alexa Grasso on November 20, 2021, at UFC Fight Night 198. However, Grasso was forced to pull out from the event due to injury and she was replaced by Taila Santos.
- She lost the bout via rear-naked choke at the end of the first round to Taila Santos.
- She next faced Alexa Grasso in a re-scheduled bout on 26th March 2022 at UFC Fight Night 205 which she lost again via a rear-naked choke in the first round.
Joanne Wood Vs Alexa Grasso
n a women’s flyweight bout on the main card, Joanne Wood and Alexa Grasso meet Saturday at UFC on ESPN 33 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Joanne Wood lost to Alexa Grasso in the bout. Alexa Grasso picked up a personal milestone at UFC Columbus. The flyweight contender scored the first submission victory of her career on Saturday with a rear-naked choke that forced Joanne Wood to tap in the first round of their contest. This is Grasso’s third straight win since moving up to the flyweight division. Grasso scored an early takedown off of a Wood kick and looked to work from inside guard, but Wood was active on defense and the position led to a stalemate. Wood worked to get the fight back to the feet, then had success with her expert muay Thai technique that allowed her to control the range and score from distance. Wood threw a spinning elbow that glanced Grasso’s head. Unfortunately for Wood, it may have also led to her downfall. It was the first submission for Grasso (14-3) in 17 pro bouts and her first finish since a TKO of Alida Gray in December 2014. On the other side, Wood (15-8) loses for a third straight time and has now lost four of her past five fights.
Awards and Achievements
International Kickboxing Federation
- IKF European Flyweight (53.2 kg / 117 lb) Championship
International Sport Karate Association
- ISKA World Flyweight (-51.8 kg / 114 lb) Championship
Scottish Thai Boxing Association
- 2009 STBA Fighter of the Year
World Boxing Council Muaythai
- WBC Muaythai British Flyweight (-50.8 kg / 112 lb) Championship
World Kickboxing League
- WKL European Flyweight Championship
Mixed Martial Arts
Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Fight of the Night (One Time) vs. Cortney Casey
Women's MMA Press Awards
- 2014 Fan Favorite Fighter of the Year
- 2012 Newcomer of the Year
Who is Joanne Wood Husband?
Joanne Wood is a married woman. She tied a knot to her husband, John Wood in October 2021. John Wood is a Syndicate MMA Gym's head MMA coach and also he is the owner of the gym where he works as an instructor. The duo got engaged back in October 2019. She is currently residing in Las Vegas in March 2018, having previously lived and trained in Montreal. Her sexual orientation is straight. Joanne is living a happy life with her spouse. The couple does not have any children as of now.
Previously, she was engaged to her former coach James Doolan until 2015.
How much is Joanne Wood Net Worth 2022?
Joanne Wood is an MMA artist and former Muay Thai champion. The net worth of Joanne Wood is estimated to have between in the range of $500K - $1 Million as of 2022. She has been a part of the UFC for almost 7 years. Her main source of wealth is from her fighting career and she is satisfied with her earnings. She is living a cool lifestyle at present. Competing on Season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter, she was defeated by Rose Namajunas in the quarterfinals. She was awarded a $25,000 Fight of the Season bonus for this bout. Her biggest payday came against Jessica Eye at UFC 257. A unanimous decision win saw her earn an impressive $106,000. As of today, her exact salary is still to get unfold yet as she has not spoken anything about it. She has made career earnings of $739,500 till now. She has also done endorsements for Thorne Health.
How tall is Joanne Wood?
Joanne Wood is a beautiful woman. She stands at the perfect height of 5 feet 6 inches or 1.68 m. Her balanced bodyweight consists of 125 lbs or 57 Kg or 8 st 13 lb. Her other body measurements are still to get unfolded yet. She has a healthy body at present. Her highest reach is 65.5 in or 166 cm. Furthermore, she has beautifully inked tattoos on her body.
Trivias About Joanne Wood You Need To Know.
- Joanne started Muay Thai training alongside her brother.
- Capricorn is her zodiac sign.
- She made her debut MMA fight against Noellie Molina via TKO in the first round.
- Her real name is Joanne Calderwood.
- Wood is the first Scottish professional female mixed martial artist.