John Bishop Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Kids, Family, Awards, Height
John Bishop is a British comedian, presenter, actor, and former footballer. As a former footballer, he played as a midfielder for Winsford United F.C., Crewe Alexandra F.C., Runcorn F.C., Rhyl F.C., Witton Albion F.C., Hyde FC, Southport FC, Stalybridge Celtic F.C., Northwich Victoria F.C., Caernarfon Town F.C., and Holywell Town F.C. previously. He made his TV debut on The Panel and then appeared in seasons 3 and 4 of the E4 teen drama Skins and the Ken Loach film Route Irish.
John has been a part of several projects including A Night in With Olly Murs, Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, Who Do You Think You Are?, Accused, Funny Cow, The Great Celebrity Bake Off For Stand Up to Cancer, Route Irish, The John Bishop Show, Fearless, Panto!, One Rogue Reporter, and Little Crackers. He has also hosted his own shows such as John Bishop's Britain (2010–2011), John Bishop's Only Joking (2013), and The John Bishop Show (2015,2022). He has released three top-selling comedy DVDs, including Rollercoaster Tour 2012. Since 2021, he has played the companion Dan Lewis in Doctor Who.
What is John Bishop Known For?
- John Bishop is a comedian, presenter, actor, and former footballer.
- Known for hosting John Bishop's Britain and radio's Bishop's Sunday Service.
- For his appearance on the E4 teen drama Skins and in the Ken Loach film Route Irish.
- He is also known for his charity work, most notably raising £4.2 million for Sport Relief 2012.
Where is John Bishop From?
John Bishop was born on 30th November 1966 with the birth name of John Joseph Bishop. He was born at Mill Road Hospital in the Liverpool suburb of West Derby, England. He is British by nationality and his ethnicity is British-White. He is the son of homemaker Kathleen (née Hackett) and laborer Edward Bishop, a couple from nearby Huyton. He has an older brother, footballer Eddie, and two older sisters, Kathy and Carol.
John grew up mostly in the Cheshire towns of Runcorn and Winsford, attending Murdishaw West Primary School and Brookvale Academy in the former. He briefly studied English at Newcastle Polytechnic and gained a BA in Social Science from Manchester Polytechnic. He later became a medical representative for the pharmaceutical company Syntex, where he worked until leaving in 2006 to pursue his comedy career full-time at the age of 40. His present age is 55 as of 2021.
How did John Bishop start his career?
- John Bishop started his career by performing stand-up comedy for the first time in Manchester in October 2000.
- In 2001, he made it to the final of all the major new act competitions, including So You Think You're Funny, the Daily Telegraph Open Mic Awards, the BBC New Comedy Awards, and the City Life North West Comedian of The Year Award, which he won.
- After a year, he was named best newcomer by BBC Radio Merseyside.
- In 2009, he appeared as the first act on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow in Manchester.
- Also, he appeared at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, where his show Elvis Has Left the Building was nominated for an "Eddie" (Edinburgh Comedy Award).
- In 2009, Bishop appeared in Channel 4's series Comedy Showcase and was also a contestant on Celebrity Mastermind.
- He also appeared in the BBC Three sitcom Lunch Monkeys.
- He has appeared five times on 5 Live's Fighting Talk quiz show.
- His first television appearance was in 2007 on the RTÉ topical-comedy show The Panel.
- He went onto the Channel 4 panel show 8 out of 10 Cats before appearing on the BBC's Live at the Apollo.
- He started his own TV show on LFC TV called John Bishop Meets... in 2009.
- In 2010, Bishop was a celebrity team captain on What Do Kids Know?
- He next appeared on BBC's Mock the Week, and Radio 4's Act Your Age.
- In series 3 and series 4 of Skins, he portrayed Emily and Katie Fitch's father.
- He appeared in Ken Loach's Route Irish in 2010.
- He is also a regular panelist on the Sky1 show, A League of Their Own as well as a stand-up/sketch show for BBC One titled John Bishop's Britain.
- He came runner-up in the second-ever game of How Many Peter Jones'? in 2010.
- He has appeared as a panelist on BBC programs Have I Got News for You, Would I Lie to You? and on IQ.
- In 2012, he appeared on Desert Island Discs and Accused. He appeared on the BBC genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are? in the same year.
- As of January 2013, Bishop hosts John Bishop's Only Joking on Sky 1.
- His autobiography titled How Did All This Happen? was published in October 2013.
- In December 2014, he appeared in A Night in with Olly Murs.
- In 2015, Bishop presented his own variety show on BBC One called The John Bishop Show.
- He took part in the BBC series Stargazing Live in 2016 and has presented John Bishop: In Conversation With... as well.
- On 21 September 2016, Bishop was confirmed to have a role in the ITV drama series Fearless, which aired in 2017.
- In August 2019, he began presenting a football program called Back of the Net.
- On 8 September 2020, Bishop and writer, actor and director Tony Pitts launched their new podcast called "Three Little Words".
- On 1 January 2021, Bishop announced that he would join the cast of Doctor Who as Dan Lewis, a companion of the Thirteenth Doctor.
- On 28 January, it was announced that he would appear as a contestant on the 4th series of "The Great Stand Up to Cancer Bake Off" in the spring of that year.
Awards and Achievements
- At the 2010 British Comedy Awards, Bishop won the Best Male Comedy Breakthrough Artist award.
- On 18 July 2014, Bishop was awarded an honorary fellowship at Liverpool John Moores University in recognition of his contribution to the arts and charity work during a ceremony at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral.
- On 11 July 2018, Bishop won the Celebrity Animal Champion award at the RSPCA Honours Awards for his work with rescue animals.
- On 25 July 2019, Bishop received an Honorary Doctor of Arts degree from Manchester Metropolitan University for his charity work, and the contributions he has made to comedy and the arts.
Who is John Bishop's Wife?
John Bishop is a married man. He has been married to his wife Melanie since 1993, though they were separated for 18 months starting in 2000. They have three sons: Joe (born 1994), Luke (born 1996), and Daniel (born 1998).
Until 2019, they lived at Whatcroft Hall in Northwich, Cheshire. The property is a Grade II listed Georgian mansion. In April 2019, he sold the home for £6.2 million to the HS2 rail project, despite his vocal criticism of the project. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
What is the condition that Joe Bishop has?
Joe has an autoimmune condition that causes progressive deafness and he is now partially deaf and is likely to become fully deaf in later life. He contracted a virus that caused the condition and caused him to lose most of his hearing when he was just 15 years old. He spent more than 10 years trying to fix his son’s hearing but the family has come to the realization that this may not be possible.
About John & Joe Bishop: Life After Deaf
John and Joe Bishop: Life After Deaf follows John and his son as they set out to learn more about the Deaf community. John has challenged himself to deliver a stand-up set to a deaf audience entirely in sign language. John did not know British Sign Language and had to master it and an entirely new style of comedic delivery before the gig. The documentary will also explore the difficulties that Joe and his family have faced in dealing with his illness.
In John & Joe Bishop: Life After Deaf the father and son duo will embark on a journey to embrace their personal connection to deafness after Joe began losing his hearing as a teenager. Speaking about the personal documentary, John told his Instagram followers that the show "is the hardest piece of television I have ever made". He explained: "It's started out as a documentary about me learning sign language to do stand-up and turned instead to a healing process for me and my family, which we never expected and which is still ongoing."
The documentary will air on ITV on Thursday 22 September at 9pm. The episode will be available to watch on the ITV Hub shortly after it is first broadcast.
How Rich is John Bishop?
John Bishop is a comedian and actor whose net worth is estimated to have $20 Million as of 2022. In September 2016, Bishop was ranked tenth place on Forbes' Top 10 Highest Paid Comedians List, earning £5.4 million a year, making him the UK's highest-earning comedian. He is making his annual salary in millions of dollars. His main source of wealth comes from his comedian career and the entertainment industry.
John played soccer and was a pharmaceutical rep before he started his stand-up comedy career. He made his television debut on the series The Panel and then appeared in the E4 drama series Skins. Bishop starred in the film Route Irish. He has been featured on his own television series John Bishop's Britain from 2010 to 2011, John Bishop's Only Joking in 2013, and The John Bishop Shop since 2015. He also hosts Bishop's Sunday Service on Radio City 96.7 in Liverpool. He has released the comedy DVDs The Elvis Has Left the Building Tour, The Sunshine Tour, and Rollercoaster Tour 2012. Today, he is living a lavish lifestyle at present.
John Bishop Height and Weight
John Bishop is a handsome comedian with a standing height of 5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm and her body weight consist of 75 kg or 165.5 lbs. His hair color is salt and pepper whereas his eye color is blue. On 30 December 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, Bishop revealed that he and his wife had tested positive for COVID-19 on Christmas Day and described it as the "worst illness [he has] ever had". Today, he has got a healthy body and he frequently does exercise to maintain his body. His body type is slim.
Did You Know?
- Bishop enjoys playing football and is an avid Liverpool FC fan, a fact frequently brought up on the show A League of Their Own, on which he was a panelist.
- He has been a vegetarian since 1985, which he discussed on BBC Two's Something for The Weekend and his episode on food on his stand-up show John Bishop's Britain. In 2013, PETA declared him to be one of the "Sexiest Vegetarians" of the year.
- In September 2016, Bishop was ranked tenth place on Forbes' Top 10 Highest Paid Comedians List.
- While driving in Wales on 21 July 2021, Bishop crashed his Land Rover Discovery after swerving to avoid another driver who had swerved to avoid a "big chicken". He was on his way to take a ferry to Ireland and was unhurt.