Last updated on August 21st, 2023 at 09:46 am
Facts About John Leguizamo
|58 Years Old
|John Alberto Leguizamo
|Place Of Birth
|Actor, Voice actor, film Producer
|5 feet 7 inches
|$ 25 Million
|Yelba Osorio (M. 1994; Div. 1996) and Justine Maurer (M. 2003 - present)
|Two - Emily Leguizamo and Marie Leguizamo
|Joseph Pulitzer Middle School
|Murry Bergtraum High School
|Long Island University
|Wikipedia, Instagram, Wikipedia, Facebook
The Golden Globe Award-nominated actor John Leguizamo is one of the popular actors in Hollywood. He is famous for lending his voice in a computer-animated film series, Ice Age. He has appeared in over 75 films produced over 10 films and several television appearances. He initially performed stand-up comedy shows in New York before moving into the television industry. He made his small screen debut in 1986 with a guest appearance in Miami Voice. In 1992, he played John Castillo in a big screen film Whispers in the Dark. In 2018, he appeared in a mini-series Waco.
What is John Leguizamo Famous For?
- An American actor, stand- up comedian, filmmaker and playwright, and screenwriter.
- His one-man stage shows and his chameleon-like ability to satirize a range of ethnic groups.
Where was John Leguizamo Born?
John Leguizamo was born in Bogota, Colombia. His has dual nationality so his nationality is American and Colombian and ethnicity is Colombian.
His birth name is John Alberto Leguizamo. His father Alberto was an aspiring movie director. John’s family migrated to states when he was 4 years old. His mother’s name is Luz Leguizamo. He has two sisters namely: Emily Leguizamo and Marie Leguizamo. He has a brother named Sergio Leguizamo.
Regarding his education, John studied at Joseph Pulitzer Middle School and Murry Bergtraum High School. While his study on Murry Bergtraum he used to write comedy materials and test it on his classmates.
After his schooling, he undergraduates from Tisch School of the Arts in his theater career but he left it to pursue the career in standup comedy. Later he took theater class at Long Island University C.W. Post Campus.
When did John Leguizamo pursue his career in the Film Industry?
- Starting his career as a stand-up comedian in New York nightclubs in 1984, John Leguizamo made his television debut in 1986 with a small role in ‘Miami Vice’.
- In 1991, he wrote and performed seven different characters in the play ‘Mambo Mouth’, an Off-Broadway production. In 1992, he played John Castillo in the film ‘Whispers in the Dark’.
- He then bagged the lead role of Luigi in the film ‘Super Mario Bros.’ in 1993. The film helped him to make a position for himself in Hollywood. In the same year, he played an important role as "Benny Blanco from the Bronx," in the film ‘Carlito's Way’, which earned him more serious roles.
- In 1993, he again wrote and performed in the play ‘Spic-O-Rama’, where his performance of making fun of the stereotyping of Latinos in the US earned him critical acclaims. The play was filmed for HBO.
- He created, produced, wrote, and performed in the 1995 television variety show ‘House of Buggin' aired on Fox. However, due to poor ratings, the show was concluded even before the completion of the first season.
- He played a variety of roles in several films over the ensuing years. In 1996, he portrayed Tybalt Capulet in ‘Romeo + Juliet’, which earned him critical appraise. In 1997, he starred in ‘Spawn’, and ‘The Pest’, in which he played the lead actor’s role.
- For the first time, he worked on Broadway in 1998, when he acted in ‘Freak’, the semi-autobiographical one-person play, which was also presented on HBO in October 1998 under Spike Lee’s direction.
- 'John Leguizamo LIVE’, a CD compilation of his stage routines, was released in 2001. In one of the bits, he narrated the history and culture of Latinos in America, and he voiced each member.
- In 2002, he wrote and acted in ‘Sexaholix... A Love Story’, which centered on his love life and how he started his own family.
- In 2005-06, he was cast in the television show ‘ER’, where he portrayed the emotionally disturbed Dr. Victor Clemente. He revealed in an interview that he was unhappy and depressed playing the role, and was relieved when the character was taken off the show.
- His memoir, ‘Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends: My Life’, was released in October 2006. He was candid while mentioning his experiences with other celebrities in his memoir.
- In 2007, he appeared in the Spike TV drama series ‘The Kill Point’. The show was about ex-war veterans on a bank robbery, which leads them to a hostage situation.
- His semi-autobiographical one-man play, ‘Klass Klown’, based on his memoir ‘Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends: My Life’ premiered in June 2010. The show was played at various theaters in the US. A CD of the show was also released. The show was later renamed as ‘Ghetto Klown’. In the same year, he guest-starred as himself in the TV series ‘The Electric Company’.
- In 2013, he started filming ‘The Crash’, which was eventually released in 2017. In 2014, he appeared in the film ‘Chef’, and also played the role of a drug dealer in the movie ‘American Ultra’.
- Abrams ComicArts published the novel adaptation of his own Broadway show, ‘Ghetto Klown’ in October 2015. The graphic novel revealed many incidents from his life and career.
- In 2017, he revealed his singing talent when he sang on ‘Almost Like Praying’, a charitable song created by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Revenues from the song went to the Hispanic Federation to send relief to people affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. In the same year, he also performed in ‘Latin History for Morons’, a show about the participation of Latin American in US history.
- Further, Leguizamo also received Smithsonian Magazine's 2018 American Ingenuity Award in the History category.
Does John Leguizamo win the awards?
- The play ‘Mambo Mouth’ won John Leguizamo an Obie Award and an Outer Critics Award. The play ‘Freak’ on HBO won him the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding One-Person Show.
- He received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in ‘To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar’.
- In 2008, he won the Rita Moreno HOLA Award for Excellence from the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors (HOLA). In 2011, he was given the Made in NY Award from New York City.
- His performance in the play ‘Klass Klown’, which was about his own path to stardom, won him the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Solo Performance, and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Solo Performance.
Who is John Leguizamo Married Too?
Reflecting his personal life, John was in relationship 4 ladies - Carolyn McDermott was her first date in 1986. They ended their relationship in 1991. Later, he was in a short relationship with Samantha Mathis an American actress for just a year and after 1 year of dating with Yelba Osorio, who is also an American actress he married her in the year 1994 but the couple got divorced after their 2 years of an unsuccessful marriage.
After a long gap of being single, He again found someone who touched his heart. Justine Maurer who was just a customer with whom he met in Carlito’s Way. The couple dated for some time and later married on June 8, 2003. Their wedding was a mixture of Catholic and Jewish rites since John is a Catholic and Maurer is of Jewish descent. Their marriage is blessed with two kids Allegra sky Leguizamo, a daughter born in 1999 and a son Ryder Lee "Lucas" Leguizamo born the next year. The family currently lives in Manhattan.
How much is John Leguizamo Net Worth?
John Leguizamo has the net worth of $ 25 million and his salary is around $ 2,000,000 from his career as an American Actor. Besides, not only John Leguizamo accumulated his net worth through acting on stage, screen, and television. But, also through voice acting for many animated series as well.
John Leguizamo Body Measurements?
Observing his body statistics, John Leguizamo has a height of 5 feet 7 inches and a body weight of 158 lbs. He has black hair and dark brown eyes. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.
Trivias About John Leguizamo You Need To Know.
- He had Supporting roles in the 2001 film, Moulin Rouge.
- The 1996 film, Romeo and Juliet.
- Although he was born in a Spanish-speaking country and has understood Spanish since childhood, Crónicas (2004) is his first Spanish-language acting performance.