John Singleton - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Kids, Divorce, Director, Movies, Stroke, Health, News, Update, Copley, Mosby, Age, Akosua Busia, TMZ, Height
The man who likes to describe himself as a serious director, John Singleton, is an Academy Award-nominated a director who specializes in making issue-based films that can appeal society whether they are thriller, drama or romantic. For the competitive director, his movie should always be an issue based and it doesn't matter if the plot of a movie takes violence and abuse as the sole base. Mostly, John Singleton's movie tries to showcase issues in African American society.
What is John Singleton known for?
- A film director, screenwriter, producer, actor.
- His films like Poetic Justice (1993), 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003), Snowfall, etc.
John Singleton: Accident, Stroke
- On August 23, 2007, John Singleton was in an automobile accident. He had struck a 57-year-old jaywalking pedestrian and had stayed on the scene until the police arrived.
- John Singleton was not under the influence of alcohol during the accident and was released after questioning. The victim, Constance Russell later died at the hospital. The case was turned over to the District Attorney. However, no charges were filed against Singleton.
- In April 2019, he had returned to the US after a trip to Costa Rica when he began to experience weakness in his legs. He checked into the hospital and on April 17, 2019, Singleton suffered a stroke and was taken into the ICU.
Where is John Singleton born?
Back to his early life, John Singleton’s birth took place in Los Angeles, California, USA. He was born as John Daniel Singleton to mother Sheila Ward-Johnson, a pharmaceutical company sales executive, and father Danny Singleton, a real estate agent, mortgage broker, financial planner.
He might be the only child of his parents as he has never spoken of his siblings. Singleton was educated at Blair High School. After graduating high school in 1986, he attended the USC School of Cinematic Arts. From there too, he graduated in 1990.
When did John Singleton pursue his career film industry?
- Singleton professional career began in 1991 as a screenwriter with the film Boyz n the Hood, which became a commercial success. For his work in the film, he was nominated for two Academy Awards in the category Best Original Screenplay and Best Director.
- He was only 24 at the time and was the youngest person to be nominated for Best Director, and the first African-American to be nominated for the award.
- Following the rapid success in his career, he directed Michael Jackson’s music video Remember the Time and also worked in films Poetic Justice (1993) and Higher Learning (1995), Rosewood (1997), Shaft (2000).
- Since then he has directed blockbuster movies 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003), Four Brothers (2005), Abduction (2011) and produced Hustle and Flow. Moreover, he has served as an executive producer of Rebel, Black Snake Moan (2006) and co-creator of the series Snowfall and director of Snowfall (2017) and Rebel (2016) TV series.
- In addition, John Singleton has acted in Baadasssss! (2003), The Game (2013) and wrote Baby Boy (2001).
Who is the wife of John Singleton?
John Singleton has two children with his first wife Tosha Lewis. Their daughter Justice Maya Singleton was born on October 17, 1992, and son Maasai Mohandas Singleton was born on April 3, 1994. However, the date and details of their relationship, wedding, marriage, and divorce have not been shared with the public.
On October 12, 1996, John Singleton married his girlfriend Akosua Gyamama Busia, a Ghanaian actress. Their daughter was born on April 3, 1997, and was named Hadar Singleton. But the couple could not make their marriage last and divorced on 15 June 1997. Singleton also has another child, daughter Cleopatra Singleton born in 1998 with a mystery woman.
He was placed on three years' probation, fined $300, ordered to undergo a year of domestic violence counseling and Sentenced to make a short film about domestic violence after assaulting the mother of daughter Cleopatra.
How much is John Singleton net worth?
As involvement in the film industry, he must assume the sum of a good amount of money from his career. According to some online sources, his estimated net worth somewhere around $ 50 million dollars. However, his salary was not disclosed yet. In the case of the disclosed, we will let you know.
How tall is John Singleton?
Observing his body statistics, He stands a height 5 feet 9 inches. His other body information was not disclosed yet. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.
Trivias About John Singleton You Need To Know.
- He was the first African-American person to be nominated for Best Director at Academy Awards.
- He was working as an intern for The Arsenio Hall Show (1989) while writing the script of Boyz n the Hood (1991), which is also where he met Ice Cube, who went on to star in the movie.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6915 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on August 26, 2003.