Johnny Nash - Bio, Net Worth, Life Story, Death, Died at 80, Death Cause, Wife, Age, Family, Nationality, Career, Awards, Facts, Wiki, Height, Songs
Johnny Nash was a legendary American reggae singer-songwriter. He is best known for his 1972 hit single, "I Can See Clearly Now". Some of his other hit singles are "Stir It Up", "Hold Me Tight", and "Let's Move & Groove Together". He started his music career covering some of the hit R&B songs on radio and tv shows. He later released over 10 albums in his career.
Nash died at the age of 80 in Houston, Texas on 6 October 2020. Let's explore more about his life story.
What is Johnny Nash Famous For?
- His 1972 hit single, "I Can See Clearly Now".
Where is Johnny Nash From?
Johnny Nash was born on 19 August 1940. His birth name is John Lester Nash Jr. His birth place was in Houston, Texas in the United States. He held an American nationality. He was born to a father, John Lester Nash, and a mother, Eliza Armstrong. He belonged to African- American nationality.
As a child, he sang in the choir a Progressive New Hope Baptist Church in South Central Houston.
Johnny Nash Career
- He was only 13 years old when he started singing R&B cover songs on a local variety show, Matinee on KPRC-TV.
- He then started singing on Arthur Godfrey's radio and television programs from 1956.
- He signed a recording deal with ABC-Paramount.
- He made his major-label debut in 1957 with the single "A Teenager Sings the Blues".
- He had his first chart hit in early 1958 with a cover of Doris Day's "A Very Special Love".
- He had also pursued an acting career and is known for his role as Spencer Scott in Louis S. Peterson's 1959 film, Take a Giant Step.
- He won a Silver Sail Award for his performance from the Locarno International Film Festival.
- He played "Apple" alongside Dennis Hopper in the 1960 crime drama film, Key Witness.
- Nash formed JoDa Records with manager Danny Sims in 1964.
- He had a top-five hit in the US Billboard R&B chart, "Let's Move and Groove Together in 1965.
- Nash and Sims moved to Jamaica in 1965. They had sold their old entertainment assets in New York. They opened a new music publishing business in Jamaica, Cayman Music.
- Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh, and Rita Marley introduced Nash to the local music scene.
- He signed all four to an exclusive publishing contract with Cayman Music for J$50 a week.
- Nash, Sims, and Arthur Jenkins started a new record label, JAD Records in 1967.
- Nash' single "Hold Me Tight" became a top-five hit in both the US and UK.
- He was a composer for the Swedish romance film Vill så gärna tro in 1971. He played Robert in the film.
- JAD Records ceased to exist in 1971.
- He had his first No. 1 charted single "I Can See Clearly Now" in 1972. It sold over one million copies. The single was awarded a gold disc by the R.I.A.A. in November 1972.
Johnny Nash Albums
1958: Johnny Nash (Paramount)
1959: I Got Rhythm (Paramount)
1959: Quiet Hour (Paramount)
1960: Let's Get Lost (Paramount)
1961: Starring Johnny Nash (Paramount)
1964: Composer's Choice (Argo)
1968: Hold Me Tight (JAD) # 109 US
1969: Prince of Peace (JAD)
1969: Let's Go Dancing (Epic)
1972: Teardrops in the Rain (Cadet)
1972: I Can See Clearly Now (Epic) # 39 UK, # 23 US, #29 AUS
1973: My Merry-Go-Round (Epic US), # 169 US
1974: Celebrate Life (Epic)
1975: Tears on My Pillow (CBS)
1977: What a Wonderful World (Epic)
1979: Let's Go Dancing (Epic)
1986: Here Again (London)
Johnny Nash Compilation Albums
1977: Johnny Nash Collection # 18 UK
1979: The Johnny Nash Album (CBS)
1981: Stir It Up
1993: The Reggae Collection
1996: The Best of Johnny
Johnny Nash Wife
Johnny Nash was a married man. He was married to Carli Nash. The couple had two children, a son, Johnny Jr, and a daughter, Monica Nash. More details about his family will be updated soon.
Johnny Nash Death
Johnny Nash died at his home in Houston, Texas on 6 October 2020. He died of natural causes at the age of 80.
Johnny Nash Height
Johnny Nash stood at an average height and had average body weight. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation was straight.
Johnny Nash Net Worth
Johnny Nash earned from his music career. He is one of the popular reggae and jazz musician in the industry. His income came from record sales, concerts, and tours. He also earned from his acting career. He has starred in several movies in his career. His net worth is not available.
Trivias About Johnny Nash You Need To Know.
- The single "I Can See Clearly Now" is Nash's highest-charted single.
- Nash sang the theme song for the television cartoon series The Mighty Hercules, which aired in first-run syndication from 1963 to 1966.
- The New York Times Magazine listed Nash among hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- Johnny Nash starring 1959 film, Take A Giant Step is one of the first black family films written by a black writer.