Kate Bush - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Husband, Family, Albums, Career, Wiki
Kate Bush is an Award-winning singer, songwriter, musician, dancer, and record producer who is best known for releasing her first single titled "Wuthering Heights" in 1978, aged 19 which topped the UK Singles Chart for four weeks, becoming the first female artist to achieve a UK number one with a self-written song. All ten of her studio albums reached the UK Top 10, including the UK number-one albums Never for Ever (1980), Hounds of Love (1985), and the compilation The Whole Story (1986). Her debut album, "The Kick Inside", was released in 1978 followed by "The Dreaming" (1982). Also, she is renowned as one of the most successful female solo artists in the United Kingdom. She started writing songs at the age of 11. Later, she was signed to EMI Records after Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour helped produce a demo tape. Her eclectic and experimental musical style, unconventional lyrics, performances, and literary themes have influenced a diverse range of artists. Some of her hit songs include "The Man with the Child in His Eyes", "Babooshka", "Running Up That Hill", "Don't Give Up" (a duet with Peter Gabriel), "King of the Mountain" and more. Her music has primarily been described as art pop, art rock, experimental pop, pop-rock, and avant-pop. Her vocals contain elements of British, Anglo-Irish and most prominently (southern) English accents and, in its use of musical instruments from various periods and cultures, her music has differed from American pop norms.
What is Kate Bush Famous For?
- Being a singer, songwriter, musician, dancer, and record producer.
- For releasing 25 UK Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits "The Man with the Child in His Eyes", "Babooshka", "Running Up That Hill", "Don't Give Up" (a duet with Peter Gabriel), and "King of the Mountain".
What is Kate Bush Ethnicity?
Kate Bush took birth on 30th July 1958 with the birth name of Catherine Bush. She is from Welling, Kent, England. She is British by nationality and her ethnicity is Mixed as she has English ancestry on her father's side and Irish ancestry on her mother's side. Her race is White. Leo is her zodiac sign and she is a follower of Christianity religion. Raised a Roman Catholic, she said in 1999: I would never say I was a strict follower of Roman Catholic belief, but a lot of images are in there; they have to be; they're so strong. Such powerful, beautiful, passionate images! There's a lot of suffering in Roman Catholicism. I think I'm looking for not necessarily religion, but ways of helping myself to become more understanding, more complete, a happier person ... But I really don't think I've found a niche. She spent most of her childhood on a farmhouse in East Wickham, located next to the town of Welling.
Kate is the daughter of Robert Bush (1920-2008), and Hannah Daly (1918-1992). Her father was a doctor and general practitioner whereas her mother is a staff nurse. She grew up with her two siblings; Patrick Bush (Older Brother) (Musician, Instrument Maker, Music Critic, Producer, Artist), and John Bush (Older Brother) (Poet, Photographer). She came from an artistic background: her mother was an amateur traditional Irish dancer, her father was an amateur pianist, Paddy worked as a musical instrument maker, and John was a poet and photographer.
For her education, she went to attend St Joseph's Convent Grammar School, near Abbey Wood. She also studied karate under the guidance of her brother John at Goldsmiths College. There, she became known as "Ee-ee" because of her squeaky kiai. From the age of 11, she started playing the piano, studied the violin, and also wrote her own tunes. She trained in interpretive dance under the guidance of dancer, actor, and teacher Lindsay Kemp. Later, she decided to stop attending school shortly after her A-level mock exams. Hence, only attained her GCE O-level certificate.
While her family produced a demo tape with over 50 of Kate's compositions; Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour received the demo from Ricky Hopper, a mutual friend of Gilmour and the Bush family. Thus, Gilmour helped the 16-year-old Bush record a more professional demo tape. Later, the tape was sent to EMI executive Terry Slater, who signed her.
Kate Bush Career Timeline
- Kate Bush released her debut album "The Kick Inside" in February 1978. At that time, she was only 19. The hit single "Wuthering Heights" topped the UK and Australian charts and became an international hit. She became the first British woman to reach number one on the UK charts with a self-written song.
- She next came up with the second album "Lionheart" in November 1978.
- After that, she set up her own publishing company, Kate Bush Music, and her own management company, Novercia, to maintain control of her work.
- Her third studio album "Never for Ever" was released in September 1980. The top-selling single from the album was "Babooshka", which reached No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart.
- Her first experience as a producer was on her Live on Stage EP.
- In November 1980, she released the standalone Christmas single "December Will Be Magic Again", which reached No. 29 in the UK charts.
- In September 1982, she released her fourth studio album "The Dreaming". The album became her first to enter the US Billboard 200 chart, albeit only reaching No. 157.
- In the year 1985, she came out with her next studio album, "Hounds of Love", which is one of her most successful albums as it topped the charts in the UK, knocking Madonna's Like a Virgin from the number-one position. The first side, Hounds of Love, contains five "accessible" pop songs, including the four singles "Running Up That Hill", "Cloudbusting", "Hounds of Love", and "The Big Sky".
- "Running Up that Hill" reached No. 3 in the UK charts and re-introduced Bush to American listeners, climbing to No. 30 on the Billboard Hot 100 in November 1985.
- The next year, her compilation album titled, "The Whole Story" was released.
- In the year 1989, her studio album, "The Sensual World" was released. The album went on to become her biggest-selling album in the US, receiving an RIAA Gold certification four years after its release for 500,000 copies sold.
- Her seventh studio album, "The Red Shoes", was released in November 1993. Her single "Rubberband Girl", peaked at number 88 in January 1994.
- Also, she directed and starred in the short film "The Line, the Cross and the Curve".
- In 1990, she starred in the TV film, "Les Dogs", a black comedy.
- Her next eighth studio album, "Aerial", was released on double CD and vinyl in November 2005. The album entered the UK albums chart at number three, and the US chart at number 48.
- A documentary on her titled, "Kate Bush Under Review" was also released. In the year 2007, she wrote the song "Lyra" for the soundtrack of the film, "The Golden Compass".
- In May 2011, she came out with her next studio album, "Director's Cut" comprising 11 reworked tracks from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes.
- On 21st November 2011, her album "50 Words for Snow" was released which features a high-profile cameo appearance of Elton John on the duet "Snowed in at Wheeler Street" The album consists of seven new songs "set against a backdrop of falling snow", with a total running time of 65 minutes.
- It was in March 2014, that she announced her first live concert in decades: Before the Dawn, a 22-night residency in London running from 26 August to 1 October 2014 at the Hammersmith Apollo.
- Later, an album of recordings from the concerts, "Before the Dawn", was released on 25 November 2016.
- As an author, she published her first book "How to Be Invisible" on 6th December 2018 which is a compilation of lyrics.
- In September 2019, she released "Ne t'enfuis pas" / "Un baiser d'enfant" on vinyl, in France, as a limited-edition promotional single.
Awards and Achievements
- Won Pop Award for her work in "This Woman's Work" in 2003 under BMI London Awards
- Won Brit Awards in 1987 under Best British Female
- Won Edison Awards for her work "Wuthering Heights" in 1979
- Won Evening Standard Theatre Awards for her work in "Before the Dawn" in 2014
- IM&MC Music Video Awards in 1986 for her work in "Cloudbusting"
- Ivor Novello Awards for her work in "The Man with the Child in His Eyes" in 1979 under The Outstanding British Lyric and under Outstanding Contribution to British Music in 2002
- MIDEM Video Awards for her work in "Babooshka" in 1980 under Best International Performance
- NME Awards for her work under Best Female Singer in 1979
- Q Awards for her work in 2001
- Won Rober Awards Music Poll in 2011, and 2014 under Best Female Artist, Return of the Year, and Best Lie Artists
- South Bank Sky Arts Awards in 2012 for her work in 50 Words for Snow under the category of Best Album
Who is Kate Bush Husband?
Kate Bush is a married woman. She tied a knot with her handsome husband whose name goes by Danny McIntosh. Danny is a guitarist by profession. They married in the year 1993. The duo is also the proud parents of children; a son named Bertie (b. Albert McIntosh). Today, the couple is living a happy life. Bush's son Bertie (Albert McIntosh), featured prominently in the 2014 concert Before the Dawn. Her sexual orientation is straight.
Previous, she has dated David Gilmour, Steve Blacknell, and Del Palmer (1978-1993). She was in a long-term relationship with bassist and engineer Del Palmer from the late 1970s to the early 1990s.
How much is Kate Bush Net Worth?
Kate Bush is a multi-talented woman who is a successful singer, songwriter, musician, dancer, and record producer. As of 2022, the net worth of Kate is estimated to have $60 Million. She has accumulated this net worth by releasing albums and many songs, as well as her acting career, also boosts her net worth. Her major source of wealth comes from the music industry. She has been featured in the commercials for various brands including Seiko and Aerial. Today, she is living a lavish lifestyle from her career earnings.
How tall is Kate Bush?
Kate Bush is a pretty singer with an amazing vocals. She has a slim body build. Her perfect height measures 5 feet 3 inches of 160 cm. Her balanced body weight consists of 49 Kg or 108 lbs. Her hair color is dark brown and her eye color is hazel. She has beautiful eyes with a thin upper lip. Her body measurement is 31-24-33 in (breast-waist-hip). Her bra cup size is 36A. Overall, she has got a healthy body with a charming smile.
Trivias About Kate Bush You Need To Know.
- Kate has released her music with various record labels including Harvest Records, EMI Records Ltd., Fish People, Columbia Records, Concord Records, and Parlophone Records Limited.
- Her artistic nature came naturally as her mother was a dancer and her father, a pianist.
- It was EMI Group Limited that presented Kate with her very first major contract deal.
- She is a self-taught pianist.
- She is a vegetarian.
- She was brought up a Roman Catholic.