Last updated on August 18th, 2023 at 01:55 am
Facts About Kate Spade
|Celebrated Name||Kate Spade|
|Age||60 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Kate Spade, Kate Valentine|
|Birth Name||Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan|
|Profession||Tennis Player , Fashion Designer|
|Place Of Birth||Kansas City, Missouri|
|Father||Earl Francis Brosnahan|
|High School||St. Teresa's Academy|
|University||University of Kansas & Arizona State University|
|Height||5 feet 7 inches|
|Children||Frances Beatrix Spade|
|Net Worth||$150 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Fashion designing career|
|Death Date||5th June 2018|
|Cause Of Death||Suicide By Hanging|
|Place Of Death||Manhattan, New York, USA|
|Links||Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter|
Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan, known professionally as Kate Spade and Kate Valentine, was an American fashion designer and businesswoman. She was the founder and former co-owner of the designer brand Kate Spade New York. In 2016, Spade and her partners launched a new fashion brand, Frances Valentine. On June 5, 2018, Spade was found dead in her apartment, her death being ruled a suicide.
What is Kate Spade Famous for?
- She was an American fashion designer, businesswoman, and author.
- The founder and former co-owner of the designer brand Kate Spade New York.
How did Kate Spade death?
On 5 June 2018, Kate Spade was found dead in her Manhattan apartment by her maid. She had committed suicide by hanging herself. When the suicide was discovered, her husband Andy was at home and her 13-year-old daughter Frances was at school. There was a suicide note that read "this has nothing to do with you. Don't feel guilty. Ask your dad" which address her daughter.
Where did Kate Spade grow up?
Kate Spade, full name Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan, was born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1962. She is American by nationality and her birth sign is Capricorn. Her parents were June and Earl Francis Brosnahan. She had an older sister named Reta Staffo.
Talking about her education, She studied in St. Teresa’s Academy after Notre Dame de Sion private academy. Afterward, Kate went to the University of Kansas later changing to Arizona State University at that point and graduating with a Bachelors major. Proceeding onward, she joined Kappa Gamma Sorority and graduated with a Journalism degree.
Who owns the Kate Spade brand?
- In 1986, Kate Spade found work in the accessories department of Mademoiselle in Manhattan. She was then known by her maiden name Kate Brosnahan. While at Mademoiselle, she moved in with Andy Spade, a native of Scottsdale, Arizona.
- At Mademoiselle, Spade’s talent was acknowledged as she grew from being a mere designer to senior fashion editor and eventually head of accessories. While working at Mademoiselle, Spade soon realized the dearth of stylish yet sensible handbags in the market. Handbag, until then, was not an explored genre of accessories and there was a lack of fashion sense being applied to them. They were plain and simple keeps for holding necessities while at go.
- With an earnest desire to start up entrepreneurship to give her creative energies a new direction, Spade left Mademoiselle in 1991. She decided to create her own range of stylish and chic handbags. Together with Andy Spade, she was a team, both professionally and personally.
- Debuting with just six silhouettes, Kate Spade launched her own brand of handbags. What made her handbags distinct from those in the market was their modern yet stylish approach. They were sleek with bouts of color and available in utilitarian shapes.
- In 1996, with increasing demand, ‘Kate Spade Handbags’ was born in a plush area in Manhattan's trendy SoHo district. The first boutique, a 400-square-foot shop, was a hit in the fashion circle. Eventually, she moved its headquarters into a 10,000-square-foot space in West 25th Street.
- As the name implies, Kate Spade Handbags initially sold only handbags. However, with the increasing demand, they extended their product range to clothing, jewelry, shoes, stationery, eyewear, baby items, fragrances, and so on. In 2004, ‘Kate Spade At Home’ was launched as a home collection brand. It featured bedding, bath items, tabletops, wallpaper and various items for the home.
- In 1999, Neiman Marcus Group purchased a 56% stake in the Kate Spade brand. to the Neiman Marcus Group. Until then, the brand worked primarily from its boutique stores. After its partnership with Neiman Marcus group, the brand grew at a rapid pace and started selling its products through high-end stores like Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue.
- In 2004, the brand crossed its geographical boundaries and went international by opening a store in Aoyama, Tokyo, Japan. In the same year, ‘Kate Spade At Home’ was launched as a home collection brand. It featured bedding, bath items, tabletops, wallpaper and various items for the home.
- Despite selling 56% stake to Marcus Group, Spade continued to remain active in the brand that she had built. She overlooked at its creative output and was extremely conscious of its product line-up. Alongside her fashion chain, in 2004, Spade came up with three books in which she shared her personal style and philosophies.
- In 2006, Spade sold the remaining 44% of her stake to Neiman Marcus Group and took time off to raise her son. The Group then sold the Kate Spade label for a whopping $124 million to Liz Claiborne Inc., which was later renamed to Fifth & Pacific.
- Around the same time that Spade gave away her label, she, together with her husband, invested in Plum TV, a small television network that broadcasts in the elite vacation spots: the Hamptons, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
- In February 2014, Fifth & Pacific changed its name to Kate Spade & Company. Craig A. Leavitt became the new CEO, succeeding William McComb. Today, Kate Spade New York has over 140 retail shops and outlet stores across the United States and more than 175 shops internationally. Their products are sold in more than 450 stores worldwide.
- In 2016, Spades along with their long-time friends, Elyce Arons and shoe designer Paola Venturi, launched a new brand called Frances Valentine, a collection of luxury footwear and handbags. The names Frances and Valentine are from her family members and she added the two names to her own legal name.
Awards of Kate Spade
- In 1996, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awarded her with America's New Fashion Talent in Accessories for her classic designs. Two years later, CFDA yet again honored her for ‘Best Accessory Designer of the Year’.
- In 1999, Kate Spade was honored when her handbags were exhibited at the Cooper Hewitt Museum for the first national design triennial, celebrating American design excellence.
- In 2004, Spade’s home collection won her three design awards, House Beautiful’s ‘Giants of Design Award for Tastemaker’, Bon Appetit’s ‘American Food and Entertaining Award for Designer of the Year’, and Elle Decor’s ‘Elle Decor International Design Award for Bedding’.
- The Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri, Kansas City inducted her in the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame in 2017. The same year, Fast Company named her one of the Most Creative People in Business.
What was Kate Spade worth when she died?
Form her career, she assumes a huge amount of money as a fashion designer, businesswoman, and author. Her estimated net worth said to be $ 150 million before her death.
What was Kate Spade famous for?
Late Kate Spade was married to Andrew (Andy) Spade in 1994, after the start of their venture together. They met while they were at Arizona State University. The couple welcomed their daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade in 2005.
Body Measurements of Kate Spade
Moving towards her physics, she stands 5 feet 7 inches and weight is 128 lbs. Apart from this, there is no such information about her body measurements until dates.
Trivias About Kate Spade You Need To Know.
- In the last 10 months of her life, Kate lived separately from her husband of 24 years Andy Spade but they didn't plan to divorce. They lived in neighbouring houses maintaining friendly relations and raising their daughter Frances together.
- A housekeeper found Spade dead from an apparent suicide by hanging in her Manhattan apartment on June 5, 2018. The police said she had left a note addressed to her 13-year-old daughter Frances. It is being reported that Kate was depressed because of business problems and separation with her husband who wanted a divorce.