Kerry Kennedy - Bio, Net Worth, Life Story, Parents, Family, Husband, Married, Siblings, Nationality, Age, Height, Wiki, Health, Awards, Facts, Kids
Kerry Kennedy is an American human rights activist and writer who is well known to be the ex-wife of current New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo. Their marriage lasted for over 15 years from 1990 to 2005. Apart from her relationship with Cuomo, she is also known to be one of the children born to the late politician and lawyer, Robert F. Kennedy.
She currently serves as the president of non-profit advocacy, "Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights" and also the chair of the Amnesty International Leadership Council. Apart from her work as a human rights activist, she is also the author of the book, "Being Catholic Now", "Speak Truth to Power: Human Rights Defenders Who Are Changing Our World".
For her work in the field of human rights, she has been named Woman of the Year 2001 by Save the Children and has been awarded several awards and honors.
Kennedy recently has been in headlines when the news about her being abused allegedly while getting married to Cuomo back then. The abuse got her to sleep in a locked bathroom as well. Besides, she is active on Instagram with over 19k followers: @kerrykennedyrfk and over 36k followers on Twitter: @KerryKennedyRFK.
What is Kerry Kennedy Famous for?
- Famous as a human rights activist.
- Known as the ex-wife of Andrew Cuomo.
Where is Kerry Kennedy From?
Kerry Kennedy was born on September 8, 1959, in Washington, D.C., United States. Her birth name is Mary Kerry Kennedy. Her nationality is American. Kennedy belongs to White ethnicity while Virgo is her zodiac sign.
Kerry Kennedy was born as the seventh of the 11 children to her well-to-do parents; Robert F. Kennedy(father) and Ethel Skakel(mother). Her father, Robert was a popular American politician and lawyer who served as the 64th United States Attorney General and also the US Senator while her mother, Ethel is a human rights activist.
Her father however resigned from the post of chief counsel of the Senate Rackets Committee to assist his brother, John F. Kennedy, in his presidential campaign just three days after the birth of Kerry. Her uncle, John who even served as the president of the US was assassinated in 1963 and just 5 years later in 1968, her father was assassinated.
She spent her childhood in her family estate, 'Hickory Hill,' in Mclean, Virginia, along with her 10 siblings; Courtney, Rory, Joseph, Robert, Kathleen, David, Michael, Christopher, Douglas, and Max Kennedy.
After the assassination of her family, she and her family moved back to New York where she attended The Putney School later attending Brown University. Soon after she and received her Juris Doctor from Boston College Law School. Back then, she even made a short appearance in the 1963 documentary, "Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment".
Kerry Kennedy's Career Highlights
- Kerry Kennedy has spent most of her life working as a human rights activist following the path of her mother which she began working in 1981 at age of 22.
- She led delegations to several places including El Salvador, Gaza, Haiti, Kenya, Northern Ireland, and South Korea.
- In 1986, Kennedy founded the RFK Center Partners for Human Rights to protect the rights listed by the U.N.
- For over thirty years, she has worked on diverse human rights issues such as children's rights, child labor, disappearances, indigenous land rights, judicial independence, freedom of expression, ethnic violence, impunity, and the environment.
- Since 1988, she has been serving as the president of the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Human Rights.
- She also served as the Executive Director of the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial until 1995.
- She is even the honorary president of the 'Robert F. Kennedy Foundation of Europe' in Italy.
- She also serves as the chair of the Amnesty International Leadership Council and in the Advisory Board of the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment at Columbia University.
- Apart from the above, she is also a proficient writer and author whose writing has been published in The Boston Globe, The Chicago Sun-Times, and The New York Times.
- She is the editor of the book titled 'Being Catholic Now, Prominent Americans Talk about Change in the Church and the Quest for Meaning' and also the author of 'Speak Truth to Power: Human Rights Defenders Who Are Changing Our World'.
- In 2017, Kennedy received the Medal for Social Activism from the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates.
- She authored the book titled 'Robert F. Kennedy: Ripples of Hope,' which was published in 2018.
- She also has been featured on several talk shows on ‘ABC,’ ‘NBC,’ ‘CBS,’ ‘CNN,’ and ‘PBS.’ She even has served as a special correspondent for the environmental TV show 'Network Earth'.
- She is a long-time activist for bail reform in New York and nationally as well.
- Named Woman of the Year 2001 by Save the Children
- Humanitarian of the Year Award from the South Asian Media Awards Foundation
- Prima Donna Award from Montalcino Vineyards
- Eleanor Roosevelt Medal of Honor and the Thomas More Award from Boston College Law School
- Human Rights Award by World Vision and International AIDS Trust
Kerry Kennedy's Husband
Kerry Kennedy has been married for just once to date. Her first marriage was with current New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo. Cuomo is an American politician, author, and lawyer who has been serving as the 56th governor of New York since 2011 and also a former US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. They first met in person during the late 1980s when Cuomo had established a non-profit for the homeless.
They eventually began dating and got married in a lavish wedding at the 'St. Matthew's Cathedral' in Washington, D.C., on June 9, 1990. Their marriage was labeled as "Cuomolot."
However, she allegedly suffered 'instances of physical abuse' while married to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. It was the time when Kennedy was rumored to have been dating polo player Bruce Colley. The reason behind their divorce was also said because Cuomo didn't spend enough time with the family.
They have three daughters together: twins, Cara Ethel Kennedy-Cuomo and Mariah Matilda Kennedy-Cuomo(born 1995), and Michaela Andrea Kennedy-Cuomo(born 1997). However, after almost 15 years of living together, Kennedy and Cuomo divorced in 2005. Previously, Kennedy was in love with her college mate with whom she was set to marry however he died of a heart attack.
Back in 2012, Kennedy was arrested for trying to side-sweep a tractor-trailer in her white Lexus on Interstate 684 in Westchester County. She was later found in a semi-conscious state in her car, which was later found that she had accidentally consumed some sleeping pills while the doctor said she probably had a seizure attack.
Kerry Kennedy's Net Worth
Kerry Kennedy has quite good earnings from her professional career as a human rights activist and writer. Having her career started in the year 1981, Kennedy has managed to come a long way becoming one of the prominent activists in her 30 years long career serving in name of humanity and kindness. Following her mother's footsteps, Kennedy has never disappointed or has let down the reputation of her big family name preceded by supreme politicians back then.
Also, through her carer as an author, she has managed to earn quite a healthy fortune which is estimated to be around $10 million.
Kerry Kennedy's Height
Kerry Kennedy is a gorgeous lady with a well-maintained slim body physique in her 60s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 7inch.(1.70m) while her body weighs around 58kg(128 lbs). She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and brown eyes.
Trivias About Kerry Kennedy You Need To Know.
- She was allegedly abused physically while she was married to Andrew Cuomo(1990-2005).
- Her father and uncle were assassinated back then when she was still a child.
- Her uncle, John F. Kennedy served as the president of US back then.