Krist Novoselic - Bio, Net Worth, Story, Married, Wife, Nationality, Age, Parents, Family, Height, Wiki, Awards, Nirvana, Bands, Facts, Politics, Kids
Krist Novoselic is an American rock musician, author, filmmaker, newspaper blogger/columnist, and political activist. He is best known as the bassist, backup vocalist, and founding member of the Rock band Nirvana. After Nirvana disbanded following the death of frontman Kurt Cobian, Novoselic co-formed the band Sweet 75 with Venezuelan musician Yva Las Vegas. Later on, he also formed the band Eyes Adrift. He played a newspaper vendor in the movie 'World's Greatest Dad' in 2009.
Besides music, he has been politically active, being involved in the formation of a PAC named Joint Artists and Musicians Political Action Committee (JAMPAC). He served on the Board of the electoral reform organization FairVote from 2005 to 2019, including 11 years as chair and in 2020 became board chair of Zocalo Public Square.
What is Krist Novoselic famous for?
- Famous as the bassist and founding member of the rock band Nirvana.
Where was Krist Novoselic born?
Krist Novoselic was born on May 16, 1965, in Compton, California in the United States. His birth name is Krist Anthony Novoselic. He was born to Croatian immigrants Kristo Novoselic (father) and Marija Novoselic (mother). He lived in Compton for one year before his parents moved to San Pedro. His family relocated to Aberdeen, Washington due to surging real estate costs in California in 1971. His parents sent him to live with relatives in Zadar, Croatia in 1980 but he returned to Aberdeen a year later. He has a younger brother named Robert Novoselic who was born in 1968 and a younger sister named Diana Novoselic who was born in 1973.
He holds an American nationality and belongs to the White ethnic group. He is of Croatian descent and his surname Nocoselic means "New Settler" in Croatian. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
Regarding his education, he attended Kindergarten at Los Angles's Leland Street School. He also attended Miller Jr. High School when he was in Zadar. Later on, he enrolled at Aberdeen High School after returning to his home in Aberdeen. After his high school graduation in 1984, his mother bought him a cheap electric guitar and he started taking lessons with Warren Mason at Rosevear's Music Center. In 2016, Novoselic earned a BSc in social sciences from Washington State University Global Campus.
Krist Novoselic Career Highlights
- Krist Novoselic's brother Robert introduced him to his friend Kurt Cobian and eventually, they became best friends. Cobian listened to him playing guitar and offered to start a band together. Finally, Novoselic and Cobian started a band named Nirvana along with Aaron Burkchard in 1987 but Burkchard replaced with Melvins drummer Dale Crover until Novoselic and Cobain met Chad Channing. Krist and Kurt released three studio albums as Bleach (1989), Nevermind (1991) and, In Utero (1993).
- After the death of frontman Kurt Cobian in 1994, Nirvana disbanded. He then co-formed the band Sweet 75 with Venezuelan musician Yva Las Vegas in 1995 and released a single self-titled album in 1997.
- In 1996, Novoselic joined singer Johnny Cash, guitarist Kim Thayil and drummer Sean Kinney to record a cover of Willie Nelson's Time of the Preacher for the tribute album "Twisted Willie".
- In 1998, Nocoselic directed his first movie, "L7: The Beauty Process", a pseudo-documentary that utilizes concert footage taped in 1997 in three American cities.
- In 2002, he performed uncredited background vocals on Foo Fighters song "Walking a Line" during the One By One album sessions. The track is included on the One by One bonus DVD as well as being a bonus track to the album.
- He then joined former Meat Puppets frontman Curt Kirkwood and former Sublime drummer Bud Gaugh to form Eyes Adrift.
- Eyes Adrift released a self-titled album with twelve songs with the Japanese version including two extras. Eyes Adrift was the first official release in Krist's career where he sang lead vocals, singing lead on "Inquiring Minds", "Dottie Dawn & Julie Jewel" and "Pasted".
- He also took a highly active role in the songwriting process, co-writing several songs with Kirkwood. They toured mostly around the United Stated but the group disbanded in 2003.
- Following the end of Eyes Adrift, Novoselic announced that he was quitting the music business, noting that he disliked the process of building up publicity for new records. However, in 2005, he had occasionally worked on music for a possible solo album, noting, "Right Now, I'm just doing it for myself, and that's what it's all about."
- In November 2006, it was announced that Novoselic would join American rock band, Flipper, replacing Bruno DeSmartas on bass for a tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland. He was a full-time member of the band and had been working on their new album. But Novoselic announced his departure from the band because of responsibilities at home on September 22, 2008. As a result, the band canceled the remainder of the tour, and Rachel Thoele replaced Novoselic.
- In 2009, Novoselic played a newspaper vendor in the movie World's Greatest Dad starring Robin Williams.
- In October 2010, Dave Grohl, former Nirvana bandmate of Nocoselic, announced live on BBC that Nocoselic would be joining Foo Fighters as a bassist and accordionist on their next album, Wasting Light, which was released in 2011.
- He also played bass on children's music artist Caspar Babypants' 2010 album This Is Fun! for a cover of the Nirvana song "Silver".
- In 2011, he performed "On a Plain" and "Silver" with the band and at the Nevermind 20th anniversary celebration in Seattle.
- In 2012, Novoselic and Grohl partnered with Paul McCartney on the song "Cut Me Some Slack", which was composed specially for the soundtrack of the documentary Sound City which was directed by Grohl. The song won the Grammy award for Best Rock Song in 2014.
- On April 17, 2016, he performed "Helter Skelter" with Paul McCartney in Seattle as part of the One on One tour.
- In November 2016, Novoselic confirmed that he was in the process of writing new music.
- In 2017, Novoselic formed a new band called Giant in the Trees along with band members Jillian Raye, Erik Friend, and Ray Prestegard. He also collaborates with Lepidopeterist and author Robert Michael Pyle with the musical project Butterfly Launches from Spar Pole.
- In late July 2017, Giants in the Trees released their first song, "Sasquatch", which features a music video Novoselic joked as "costing over 2 million U.S. dollars to produce". Their first self-titled debut album "Giants in the Trees" was released in late 2017. The band's second album, Volume 2, was released on March 29, 2019.
- On December 5, 2017, Novoselic joined Foo Fighters on stage at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon, to play bass guitar on "Big Me", a song from the Foo Fighters' debut album.
- On October 6, 2018, he also joined Foo Fighters during an encore to play several Nirvana songs, with Dave Grohl on drums, Pat Smear on guitar, and John J. McCauley and Joan Jett filling in as their lead singer.
- Additionally, Novoselic published his book named Of Grunge and Government: Let's Fix This Broken Democracy! in 2004. He also started writing blogs for the Seattle Weekly website in November 2007 but stopped writing for Seattle weekly in September 2010.
- Since 2007, he has been the DJ numerous times for Coast radio in KMUN.
- Besides, Krist Novoselic has had an interest in politics from high school. He supported Democratic Senator Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election and in the primary. He also publically supported and campaigned for Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson during the 2016 U.S. presidential Campaign.
- In June 2020, Novoselic made a Facebook post discussing President Donald Trump's speech in response to unrest following the killing of George Floyd. He called Trump strong and direct.
Who is Krist Novoselic married to?
Krist Novoselic is a married man. He has been married to model Danbury Ayn Stenderu since February 27, 2004. The couple is blessed with two children.
Previously, Novoselic married his high school sweetheart, Shelli Hyrkas on December 30, 1989. Their marriage lasted for a decade and they divorced in 1999.
How tall is Krist Novoselic?
Krist Novoselic is a handsome man with an average body build. He stands at a tall height of 2.01m (6 feet and 7 inches) and his body weighs around 98kg (216 lbs.). He has Gray hair and his eye color is Green. His sexual orientation is Straight.
What is the Net Worth of Krist Novoselic?
Krist Novoselic has been active in various professions such as rock musician, author, filmmaker, and newspaper blogger/columnist. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated to be $60 million. He also earns an extra amount by working as a writer and a part-time DJ. However, there is no information about his salary and other assets.
Currently, Novoselic resides in Deep River, Washington, in the United States.
Trivias About Krist Novoselic You Need To Know.
- He became an FAA-licensed pilot on April 4, 2002.
- His surname Novoselic means "new settler" in Croatian.
- He was the bassist and back up vocalist for the Rock band Nirvana.