Last updated on August 4th, 2023 at 05:59 pm
Kyle Rittenhouse, 19, killed two people and wounded a third during protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin in last November 2020 after a 12-person jury deliberated for four days. The teen said at his trial that he acted in self-defense. He was found not guilty of all charges last year. The gun that Kyle Rittenhouse used to kill two people and wound a third during protests will be destroyed, a judge has ruled. Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger said the state crime lab will destroy the gun sometime around April, ABC News reported. Judge Bruce Schroeder, who presided in Rittenhouse’s murder trial, approved the agreement on Friday (28th January 2022). Dominick Black identifies the rifle Kyle Rittenhouse used on Aug. 25, 2020, during Rittenhouse's trial at the Kenosha County Courthouse in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Nov. 2, 2021. Black, who bought an AR-15-style rifle for Kyle Rittenhouse, has pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor in a deal with prosecutors to avoid prison. A Wisconsin judge accepted Dominick Black's plea on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022.
Who is Kyle Rittenhouse?
The 19-year old, Kyle Rittenhouse is an American teenager who is the right-wing vigilante at the group that appeared at the Black Live Matter protest on 25th August 2020 in the USA. He came to public prominence after he shot and killed two Black Lives Matter protesters namely Anthony M. Huber and Joseph D. Rosenbaum. The shootings occurred during the protests, riots, and civil unrest that followed the non-fatal shooting of a black man, Jacob Blake, by a white police officer. Jacob Blake was shot seven times (and hit four times) by a Kenosha police officer and became paralyzed from the waist down. Joseph Rosenbaum was a 36-year-old, unarmed Kenosha man, chased Rittenhouse into a parking lot and was fatally shot four times at close range after lunging towards Rittenhouse. Anthony Huber was a 26-year-old-resident of Silver Lake, struck Rittenhouse with his skateboard, and was fatally shot once in the chest by Rittenhouse after grabbing his rifle. He also wounded another man namely Gaige Grosskreutz in the arm during confrontations in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Gaige Grosskreutz, a 26-year-old West Allis man armed with a handgun, was shot by Rittenhouse once in the right arm and luckily he survived. Hewas armed with a semi-automatic, AR-15 style rifle, and had joined a group of armed men in Kenosha who stated that they were in Kenosha to protect businesses. The gun used in the shootings was identified as a Smith & Wesson M&P15 chambered in .223.
5 Facts on Kyle Rittenhouse
- Kyle Rittenhouse (born on January 3, 2003) is a teenager from Antioch, Illinois, the USA who is arrested for Kenosha shootings. At present, his age is 19. He was born to his mother, Wendy Rittenhouse, and his father. After kyle was arrested, his mother began living in anxiety and depression. His zodiac sign falls under Capricorn.
- On 25th August 2020, Kyle Rittenhouse fatally shot two men and wounded another during the "Black's Lives Movement" protest which was held in Kenosha, Wisconsin for Jacob Blake. On 23rd August 2020, protests erupted in Kenosha after the shooting of Jacob Blake, an African-American man who was shot seven times (and hit four times) by a Kenosha police officer and became paralyzed from the waist down.
- Wearing a green T-shirt, a backward baseball cap, blue gloves, dark blue jeans, and brown shoes, Kyle Rittenhouse carried a Smith & Wesson AR-15 style .223 rifle, which belonged to his sister’s boyfriend Dominic Black. At around 11:45 p.m. that night, he death shot Anthony M. Huber, and Joseph Rosenbaum whereas he wounded and armed shot Gaige Paul Grosskreutz near Car Source, a car dealership at the northwest corner of 63rd St. and Sheridan Road in Kenosha. "I just killed somebody," Rittenhouse was heard saying during a cellphone call at 11:46 p.m. Still carrying his rifle, he approached police vehicles with his hands up after shooting but the officers did not stop him.
- After the incident of shooting, Kyle Rittenhouse was arrested and charged with two counts of homicide, one count of attempted homicide, two counts of reckless endangerment, one count of unlawful possession of a firearm, and one count of curfew violation. During his trial in Kenosha County Circuit Court from November 1 to 19, 2021, his lawyer argued his actions were self-defense. He was released from detention on November 20, after posting $2 million bails. At a short hearing Friday (28th January 2022), Judge Bruce Schroeder approved two deals - one, agreed to by Rittenhouse, was to let authorities destroy the rifle; the other was to divvy up the $2 million bail with actor Ricky Schroder and a Texas non-profit organization led by Atlanta lawyer Lin Wood. Under the agreement, $920,000 will be paid, in trust, to Richards & Dimmer, the Racine law firm that defended Rittenhouse. Another $925,000 will go to #FightBack Foundation. Schroder, who posed with Rittenhouse soon after he was released on bail, gets back the $150,000 he contributed.
- Court records indicate that Rittenhouse worked as a lifeguard at a YMCA in suburban Lindenhurst. A YMCA spokeswoman told the Tribune that Rittenhouse was a part-time employee who has been furloughed since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic. "We abhor the recent violence in Kenosha," said Man-Yee Lee, communications director for the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. "Our condolences go out to the families of the victims in this incident. The YMCA of Metro Chicago is committed to racial equality. We stand with the Black community against violence toward Black and Brown people, including police brutality. We also support the right to assemble to advocate against injustices prevalent in our society, including systemic racism."