Last updated on June 25th, 2023 at 04:16 am
Facts About Laverne Cox
|51 Years Old
|Place Of Birth
|Mobile, Alabama, U.S.
|Indiana University Bloomington
|Source of Wealth
|5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
|Wikipedia Instagram Twitter Youtube Facebook
Laverne Cox is a versatile American actress and LGBT advocate who comes to light for her role as Sophia Burset on the Netflix series "Orange Is the New Black". She is also known for becoming the first transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in an acting category, and the first to be nominated for an Emmy Award since composer Angela Morley in 1990. Cox was ranked first on The Guardian's 2014 World Pride Power List of important members of the LGBT community. She debuted in the movies in 2000 in the short film "Betty Anderson", starring the character of Deirdre. E! announced in May 2021 that Cox would become the host of "Live from the Red Carpet" starting in January 2022. Recently in 2022, she was seen as herself in the television show "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" and "Inventing Anna".
Laverne Cox Famous For
- She is an American actress and LGBT advocate.
- She starred as Sophia Burset in the Netflix series "Orange Is the New Black".
What is Laverne Cox's ethnicity?
Laverne Cox opened her eyes for the very first time on 29th May 1972 in Mobile, Alabama, U.S. She is American by nationality and African-American by ethnicity. Likewise, her religious belief is in the Christian religion and her race is black. Laverne's present age is 50 which she celebrated recently in 2022 and as per her birthdate, her zodiac sign is Gemini. She is the daughter of her mother, Gloria Cox whereas her father's name has not been revealed yet. She also has a twin brother M. Lamar who is also an American composer, performer, and artist.
Moving to Cox's education, she graduated from the Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham, Alabama, where she studied creative writing before switching to dance. She then studied for two years at Indiana University Bloomington before transferring to Marymount Manhattan College in New York City, where she switched from dancing to acting.
Laverne Cox Career
- Laverne Cox kicks off her career starring as a contestant on the first season of "I Want to Work for Diddy" after which she appeared in the television series "TRANSform Me", which made Cox the first African-American transgender person to produce and star in her own TV show.
- She then appeared in a number of TV shows and films, including "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", "Bored to Death", and "Musical Chairs".
- She was seen in the Netflix series "Orange is the New Black" as Sophia Burset in 2013 and her role in the series provides her a platform to speak on the rights of trans people.
- She joined trans woman Carmen Carrera on Katie Couric's syndicated show, "Katie" in January 2014 and became the first transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in an acting category in the following year.
- In 2014, she was also seen in the annual Rebels issue of "V" as well as she was also on the cover of the October 2014 issue of "Essence" magazine.
- As well, she executive-produced and narrated the documentary, "Laverne Cox Presents: The T Wordon" on 17th October 2014.
- She is also the cover subject for the 11th June 2015, "totally not-straight issue" of "Entertainment Weekly".
- Later, she started her role as a transgender attorney "Cameron Wirth" on Doubt on CBS in 2017 as well as she was featured in Taylor Swift's "You Need to Calm Down" music video, which was released on 17th June 2019.
- She also became one of fifteen women chosen to appear on the cover of the September 2019 issue of British "Vogue" which made Cox the first transgender woman to appear on the cover of British "Vogue".
- She executive produced the documentary "Disclosure: Trans Lives" on Screen which premiered on 27th January 2020.
- E! announced in May 2021 that Laverne would become the host of Live from the Red Carpet starting in January 2022.
- She was cast in Netflix's dystopian fantasy film "Uglies" in December 2021.
- Cox starred in the 2022 TV series "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" as herself and in "Inventing Anna" in the role of Kacy Duke.
- Besides, Cox joined a campaign in 2014 against a Phoenix, Arizona, law which allows police to arrest anyone suspected of "manifesting prostitution".
- She stated, "All over the country, trans women are targeted simply for being who they are. Laws like this manifestation law really support systematically the idea that girls like me, girls like me and Monica, are less than others in this country."
- Later that year the Sylvia Rivera Law Project released a video in which Laverne read a letter from transgender inmate Synthia China Blast, addressing common issues faced by trans inmates.
- However, when Cox learned that Blast was found guilty of the 1993 rape and murder of a 13-year-old child, she wrote on her Tumblr, "I was not aware of the charges for which she was convicted. If I had been aware of those charges, I would have never agreed to read the letter."
Awards and Achievements
- 2013 - Anti-Violence Project 2013 Courage Award honoree
- 2013 - Reader's Choice Award at Out Magazine's OUT100 Gala
- 2014 - Stephen F. Kolzak Award from GLAAD.
- 2015 - Named to the 2015 OUT Power 50 List.
- 2015 - Included in the People World's Most Beautiful Women List.
- 2015 - Winner of a Daytime Emmy Award in Outstanding Special Class Special as Executive Producer for "Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word".
- 2016 - Awarded Honorary Doctorate from The New School.
- 2017 - Named to the 2017 OUT Power 50 List.
- 2018 - Received the Claire Skiffington Vanguard Award from Transgender Law Center.
Who is Laverne Cox's husband?
Laverne Cox is an unmarried woman. Cox reported in 2021 that she had fallen in love but she did not reveal data about who was her boyfriend. Subsequently, she confirmed her relationship in January 2021 however she has not disclosed any details regarding her partner. Her boyfriend was 22 years younger while she was 48 years old. "It's hard to find love. I'm a 48-year-olds Black trans woman who's kind of famous and feels like it's a miracle that I found love again. I'm just celebrating that and super excited that God has brought this man into my life". Cox said. She was previously in a relationship with Kyle Draper as they ended their relationship in the summer of 2019 after dating each other for two years. Concerning her sexual orientation, she is straight (Transgender). Cox transformed herself into a woman as she was assigned male at birth. As well, Laverne claims that she attempted suicide when she was 11 years old after she realized she had feelings for her male peers and had been ridiculed for several years for not acting "the way someone assigned male at birth was meant as an act".
How rich is Laverne Cox?
Laverne Cox has accomplished a lot in such a short span, which has provided her with the limelight. She has a net worth of $6 million as of 2022 whereas she also earns a fine amount of salary which is around thousands of dollars per year. With her hard work and luck by her side, she can double the amount of wealth she has today. In addition, her major source of income is her acting career.
How tall is Laverne Cox?
Laverne Cox is 5 ft 11 in or 180 cm tall and her body weighs around 76 kg or 167½ lbs. She has naturally dark brown hair but she dyes them blonde. Her eyes color are dark brown as well. Moreover, her body build type is slim and her body measurements are 36-29-35 inches.
Trivias About Laverne Cox You Need To Know.
- She graduated from Marymount Manhattan College and appeared on the first season of the reality series I Want to Work for Diddy.
- Her star sign is Gemini.
- She was ranked first on The Guardian's 2014 World Pride Power List of important members of the LGBT community.
- Her twin brother, M. Lamar, also appeared on Orange Is the New Black.
- She is also the first openly transgender person to have a wax figure of herself at Madame Tussauds.